DIY Ultralight Airplanes

All nice planes.

The big thing is to take lessons and follow advice of other pilots.

In a handful of UL and experimental accidents where I'm familiar with the pilots, only one involved structural failure. All the rest were pilot error; flying a good airplane into the ground.

It's cold up there. The adiabatic lapse rate is about 2C/1000 feet of altitude. I didn't watch the whole thing, but he referenced temp. He took off from Edmonton, which is already at 2200'MSL. Going up about 8000' feet is a 16C temp drop, on average. If it was 20C (68F) on the ground, then it would be about 4C at 10,000, about 39F. He mentioned a battery temp being 4C.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/adiabatic-lapse-rate

Wow you sure know your stuff!

Wow you sure know your stuff!

I'm a pilot with over 23,000 hours. Might be over 24K. I'd have to check.

I've been flying since 1976. Almost constantly since 1980 until late 2019.

5dw5gu.jpg

I would love to have you train me!!!

I'd love to fly a gyrocopter!

Most of my time is helicopters (about 2400 hours), single-engine turboprop (about 3500 hours), multi-engine turboprop (about 8,000) and multi-engine turbojet (about another 10,000 hours).

Have you had any lessons?

At one time my older brother was very seriously considering building an ultralight plane. He had the brochures etc. and a set of plans. I talked him out of it. His wife was grateful. :laugh:

Back