Votes: 2 33.3%
  • heck no

• potato

• who cares ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, but in national and statewide elections only for a specific target audience of undecided.

Sometimes they also remind voters or anger voters whose minds might already be made up to get out and vote. They create resolve in a made up mind to get out and actually cast the vote.

Yes, but in national and statewide elections only for a specific target audience of undecided.

Sometimes they also remind voters or anger voters whose minds might already be made up to get out and vote. They create resolve in a made up mind to get out and actually cast the vote.

I can see that line of reasining. Do you have any sense that ads can backfire / have a different effect than the one intended ?

I can see that line of reasining. Do you have any sense that ads can backfire / have a different effect than the one intended ?

I'm sure they can. I suspect it does not happen too often at the state wide level or national level because they are so thoroughly vetted and focus group tested before they are released to prevent that.

Of course ads change minds. To political junkies or partisans I'm sure they don't buy not everyone follows politics 24/7 and not everyone is on a "team".

Of course ads change minds. To political junkies or partisans I'm sure they don't buy not everyone follows politics 24/7 and not everyone is on a "team".

Yeah the squishy "moderates" probably get influenced.

The low information types.

I put no because they never had any influence on me, However, im sure theres many a numbnutz that swallows the bs that those ads are all about or they wouldnt spend millions on them

I agree. Now ads wouldn't change me from a liberal to a conservative but if two libs were running for something and I was leaning toward one, and then an ad came out with something negative but true about that one, that could sway me.

Hope that made sense. :)

It is like the Chinese water torture - it drips away for years and you don't notice, but in the end it makes a hole in your head and you start believing right-wing bullshit as if it were true.

I agree. Now ads wouldn't change me from a liberal to a conservative but if two libs were running for something and I was leaning toward one, and then an ad came out with something negative but true about that one, that could sway me.

Hope that made sense. :)

Yeah i get that. I have heard lots of discussion that some negative ad as you describe wound up making people dislike the one doing the negative ad. Especially if it had been a relatively clean campaign. You get any sense of that ?

Celtic, not only are undecided voters completely brain-dead, but there are a lot of them out there.
Well yes, there are a number of brain dead among the mushy middle. But there are are also more than a few that despise politics and blot it out and I get that too. Pols lie (all of them) and whoever wins taxes go up, mainly a question kf how much and which taxes. Call me crazy but I feel there is a real potential for some something that plays it straight and does what it says it will do.

I put no because they never had any influence on me, However, im sure theres many a numbnutz that swallows the bs that those ads are all about or they wouldnt spend millions on them
Consider the possibility that its all the press generated on $ totals and ad ratios are the intended effect. And then there is the standard of whats considered a success from an ad and how low that is. Me I believe they know the ads do little but they are easy and impersonal and remove the chances the the candidate blows their message through bungled speeches.

I think they change the minds of emotional, low information voters.
I can see that happening. As nearly half dont even vote it seems clear that the electorate chooses ignorance more than a little bit. And if thats the case then emotional issues may be getting chosen to drag a few more away from their tvs for a trip to the precinct.

Back