Do we all experience the world in the same way?

BidenPresident

Verified User
by Anil Seth, professor of neuroscience at the University of Sussex

It may seem as though the world just pours itself directly into our minds through the transparent windows of our eyes and our ears. But psychologists have long known that perception is not simply a “read out” of sensory information. We are strongly influenced by context. From the effect of shadows on how we perceive the brightness of a surface, to our tendency to interpret facial expressions depending on what we think is happening, context permeates all our conscious experiences.

Some researchers, myself included, go even further. Instead of context merely influencing the contents of perception, the idea here is that perceptual experience is built from the top down, with the incoming (bottom-up) sensory signals mostly fine-tuning the brain’s “best guesses” of what’s out there. In this view, the brain is continually making predictions about the causes of the sensory information it receives, and it uses that information to update its predictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...o-we-all-experience-the-world-in-the-same-way

by Anil Seth, professor of neuroscience at the University of Sussex

It may seem as though the world just pours itself directly into our minds through the transparent windows of our eyes and our ears. But psychologists have long known that perception is not simply a “read out” of sensory information. We are strongly influenced by context. From the effect of shadows on how we perceive the brightness of a surface, to our tendency to interpret facial expressions depending on what we think is happening, context permeates all our conscious experiences.

Some researchers, myself included, go even further. Instead of context merely influencing the contents of perception, the idea here is that perceptual experience is built from the top down, with the incoming (bottom-up) sensory signals mostly fine-tuning the brain’s “best guesses” of what’s out there. In this view, the brain is continually making predictions about the causes of the sensory information it receives, and it uses that information to update its predictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...o-we-all-experience-the-world-in-the-same-way

If you mean stupid people are dumb then yes.

It's an interesting concept. Even when you're a child, someone eventually asks "How do I know that what's red to me is red to you? Maybe what I see as red is actually blue to you."

It seems reasonable to assume that everything, from genetics/neurological functionality of the brain, down to the shape of our ears or how far apart are an individual's eyes, would all impact how we experience the world.

It's an interesting concept. Even when you're a child, someone eventually asks "How do I know that what's red to me is red to you? Maybe what I see as red is actually blue to you."

It seems reasonable to assume that everything, from genetics/neurological functionality of the brain, down to the shape of our ears or how far apart are an individual's eyes, would all impact how we experience the world.

It's interesting to ponder. Why does one sibling feel that he/she had an unhappy childhood, yet his/her sister or brother feels just the opposite?

yes everyone experiences it the same way (caveat that everyone means everyone with 5 senses).

you can and will come to different conclusions about the data you absorb based on your knowledge/intellect/beliefs.

but data is data.

YOU think Biden is not the Constitutionally elected president, so you have 0 cred. You likely believe the nanobots are in the jab.

I believe, along with the WI supreme court that the election which put the PastyFaced Pedophile in the Oval Office was not conducted in accordance with the requirements of the US constitution.......that makes me and the WI supreme court smarter than you.........

I believe, along with the WI supreme court that the election which put the PastyFaced Pedophile in the Oval Office was not

conducted in accordance with the requirements of the US constitution.......that makes me and the WI supreme court smarter than you.........
also not lawfully conducted in accordance by a number of states in the union.

I believe, along with the WI supreme court that the election which put the PastyFaced Pedophile in the Oval Office was not conducted in accordance with the requirements of the US constitution.......that makes me and the WI supreme court smarter than you.........

That is different than an unconstitutional election. Fool!

Back