Does Biden anticipate losing???

Cancel 2016.2

The Almighty
Why is he still running for the Senate?

Its one thing not to give up your current job, but to run for two positions in the same year? Kind of sad.

:rolleyes:

That's pretty standard, isn't it?

I know Lieberman stuck w/ his Senate run in 2000, as well (cue another bad Superfreak joke).

Kind of a non-story; elections are close, and it's reckless to put all your eggs in the big prize basket...

Why should he not run?

If he stopped running for the senate and lost the VP slot, he would have put his state party in the very precarious position of having to summon another person to run for senate for no reason, and that could lead to their loss. If he does win the VP slot, however, the only thing that will happen is that the Democratic governer of his state will just appoint someone else or a special election will happen. Staying in the senate race is the only reasonable option.

That's pretty standard, isn't it?

I know Lieberman stuck w/ his Senate run in 2000, as well (cue another bad Superfreak joke).

Kind of a non-story; elections are close, and it's reckless to put all your eggs in the big prize basket...

Yes, hence the :rolleyes:

But it brings me to what I wanted to discuss... SHOULD it be ok to run for two positions at the same time?

As Water points out, if Obama wins AND Biden retains his seat, then the Democratic Governor selects his predecessor. Which at this time is rumored to be his son (although he is supposed to be headed to Iraq, so not sure if I beleive that one). That is not all that democratic.... especially in a case like in AK where father appoints daughter etc....

Yes, hence the :rolleyes:

But it brings me to what I wanted to discuss... SHOULD it be ok to run for two positions at the same time?

As Water points out, if Obama wins AND Biden retains his seat, then the Democratic Governor selects his predecessor. Which at this time is rumored to be his son (although he is supposed to be headed to Iraq, so not sure if I beleive that one). That is not all that democratic.... especially in a case like in AK where father appoints daughter etc....

I don't see what's so undemocratic about it as long as the public is aware of it. They can always vote for the Republican if they don't like the idea of Biden running for two offices at once or if they don't like the idea of the governor, whomever that may be after the election, selecting his replacement (assuming that is the case under DE law, which it may not be).

I don't see what's so undemocratic about it as long as the public is aware of it. They can always vote for the Republican if they don't like the idea of Biden running for two offices at once or if they don't like the idea of the governor, whomever that may be after the election, selecting his replacement (assuming that is the case under DE law, which it may not be).

It is the case under DE law. I checked it before I posted it. Yet in a state that is Dem oriented, your solution of voting for the Rep if they don't like it really isn't a solution.

The fact that Biden won't (for obvious reasons) debate the Rep challenger also makes this sad. Even more so, if the rumor is true and his son were to be appointed to take his seat.

It is the case under DE law. I checked it before I posted it. Yet in a state that is Dem oriented, your solution of voting for the Rep if they don't like it really isn't a solution.

The fact that Biden won't (for obvious reasons) debate the Rep challenger also makes this sad. Even more so, if the rumor is true and his son were to be appointed to take his seat.

It's not plausible for his son to be appointed to take his seat. He's currently the AG, having just been elected, and is set to do a tour of duty in Iraq. If anything, the Governor would appoint a placeholder.

It's not plausible for his son to be appointed to take his seat. He's currently the AG, having just been elected, and is set to do a tour of duty in Iraq. If anything, the Governor would appoint a placeholder.

1) his being AG has nothing to do with it. The Governor could appoint the AG should he chose.

2) Yes, the deployment issue is why I said I doubted that rumor... though I am sure they could find a way around that should they chose.

1) his being AG has nothing to do with it. The Governor could appoint the AG should he chose.

2) Yes, the deployment issue is why I said I doubted that rumor... though I am sure they could find a way around that should they chose.

I didn't say that him being AG made it impossible. I merely said that it would be implausible, which it is, particularly because he's going to be serving in Iraq and will likely be in Iraq at the time of his appointment.

My guess if Obama wins the presidency and Carney wins the governorship is that Carney appoints Minner to the Senate. Minner would serve out the term and then decide whether to pursue a second term or not.

Why would running for two positions at once be undemocratic? Do you think it would represent the interests of Delaware Democrats better if they ran an inexperienced nobody who had a month to build up a campaign, the Republican won, and Obama lost? Or better yet, it would be even MORE democratic to not have a Democrat on the ballot. Unless this were happening to the Republicans, in which case SF would be all for it.

Biden knows he might not win, to belive differently would be idiotic. He also knows he might win, to belive differently would also be idiotic.

It does not mean he expects to loose, it merely means he understands he is not invencable.

He is just covering the bases. Can you imagine, if he left one, and the other fell through?--He might have to get a private sector real job. Ohhhh--Biden could not do thaaaaaaattt. Palin could.

I didn't say that him being AG made it impossible. I merely said that it would be implausible, which it is, particularly because he's going to be serving in Iraq and will likely be in Iraq at the time of his appointment.

My guess if Obama wins the presidency and Carney wins the governorship is that Carney appoints Minner to the Senate. Minner would serve out the term and then decide whether to pursue a second term or not.

Again, his being AG does not make it implausible. His potential serving in Iraq is what makes it implausible which is exactly what I stated to begin with. Thanks for agreeing.

My point is this... why should Minner (or whomever is the buddy of choice of the governor) be SELECTED to serve a SIX year term? At a minimum they should have a special election if Obama/Biden win and Biden also retains his Senate seat.

No he anticipates winning his senate seat as well and then stepping down AFTER the election to insure the seat stays secure. Then Governor Minner can appoint Beau Biden to serve the first two years of his dad's term before a special election would have to be held.

Back