Does the universe have a cause?

BidenPresident

Verified User
I do not think so.

Christians say God caused the universe, but that is not satisfying. What caused God?

Why cannot the universe exist without a cause.

It's unlikely that the universe just popped out of nowhere w/out cause. Ditto for the multitude of other universes which probably exist.

So I'd say it does.

There's a reason the big bang happened and there's a reason for the lawfulness and mathmatical organization of the universe.

Whether our chimpanzee brains can comprehend it is an open question.

The idea that the universe blinked into existence for absolutely no reason is intellectually and philosophically unsatisfying, and if we accepted that premise it would just shut down any further questions, hypothesizing, or research.

There's a reason the big bang happened and there's a reason for the lawfulness and mathmatical organization of the universe.

Whether our chimpanzee brains can comprehend it is an open question.

The idea that the universe blinked into existence for absolutely no reason is intellectually and philosophically unsatisfying, and if we accepted that premise it would just shut down any further questions, hypothesizing, or research.

Universe always existed. So it did not "blinked into existence."

Universe always existed. So it did not "blinked into existence."

There is exactly zero evidence the universe is infinitely old, though it's a perfectly respectable guess.

The big bang definitely happened.

I have a somewhat of a problem with the concept of infinity, because we don't see infinity anywhere in nature, and I suspect it's just an abstract concept derived in the mind of humans.

There is exactly zero evidence the universe is infinitely old, though it's a perfectly respectable guess.

I have a somewhat of a problem with the concept of infinity, because we don't see infinity anywhere in nature, and I suspect it's just an abstract concept derived in the mind of humans.

I did not say it is infinitely old. I said it never started.

And no scientist can prove nothing happened before.

Correct. The physics of Planck density are unknown. Presuming the universe was compressed to Planck density before the Big Bang, we have no idea how long it was in that initial condition

But nothing that happened before the big bang has any explanatory power for why the big bang happened and resulted in a lawful observable universe.

Correct. The physics of Planck density are unknown.

But nothing that happened before the big bang has any explanatory power for why the big bang happened and resulted in a lawful observable universe.

Science marches on!
Lack of explanation does not prove no explanation exists.

That's what I'm saying, we don't have an explanation for why the Big Bang happened, but that doesn't mean we should stop asking questions about it.

Are we excepting the Big Bang as fact now?

Have we been able to duplicate it in miniature in a laboratory?

It may not be as bat shit crazy as Creation,
but it may very well have the same type of "pull it from our asses" origin.

Back