Drug Decriminalization in Portugal

Comparing alcohol and marijuana is the age old strawman. Decriminalizing drug use so that treatment can be the focus is a positive. Legalizing them so that they can become a commercial commodity, available to consumers via the market, is irresponsible.

Nothing personal, but,,,,

then we're going to have drug cartels.

And they kill.

This feeds Corrupt officials when we don't have to.

Not to mention the police state this produces.

Alcohol is worse, and there's a reason we did away with that prohibition.

Is losing your constitution worth having the government take your money to put you and the ones you love through the legal system? Is that the only answer to this issue?

There is no Constitutional right to drug use. Indeed this paper on the historical position of our founding fathers about the opium trade may be instructive. Governments do have a stake in drug use/abuse. It is directly related to the prosperity; health; and well being of a nation. Drug use can and does have many victims.

There is no Constitutional right to drug use. Indeed this paper on the historical position of our founding fathers about the opium trade may be instructive. Governments do have a stake in drug use/abuse. It is directly related to the prosperity; health; and well being of a nation. Drug use can and does have many victims.

I guess we just don't agree on this one issue.

I am only just leaning this way... The approach of decriminalizing usage and possession for personal use as opposed to blanket legalization is, I think, a less partisan approach.

The most important aspects of this approach are thre fold. #1. It greatly reduces the black market for drugs and #2. It provides an avenue for those with chemical dependence problems to seek help with out prosecution and #3. It dramatically reduces the strain on our criminal justice system which is being over whelmed by these non-violent offenders.

The money being used for treatment was previously used to house them in prisons- the stats show that less money is needed not only in the short term, but with drug use reduction, future funding becomes an even bigger savings.
That's pretty progressive thinking there ID.

Back