Einstein

katzgar

Verified User
When Einstein gave lectures at U.S. universities, the question students asked him most was:

Do you believe in God? And he always answered: I believe in the God of Spinoza.
Baruch de Spinoza was a Dutch philosopher considered one of the great rationalists of 17th century philosophy, along with Descartes.
According to Spinoza, God would say: “Stop praying. I want you to go out into the world and enjoy your life. I want you to sing, have fun and enjoy everything I've made for you.
“Stop going into those dark, cold temples that you built yourself and saying they are my house. My house is in the mountains, in the woods, rivers, lakes, beaches. That's where I live and there I express my love for you.
“Stop blaming me for your miserable life; I never told you there was anything wrong with you or that you were a sinner, or that your sexuality was a bad thing. Sex is a gift I have given you and with which you can express your love, your ecstasy, your joy. So don't blame me for everything that others made you believe.
“Stop reading alleged sacred scriptures that have nothing to do with me. If you can't read me in a sunrise, in a landscape, in the look of your friends, in your son's eyes—you will find me in no book!
“Stop asking me, ‘Will you tell me how to do my job?’ Stop being so scared of me. I do not judge you or criticize you, nor get angry or bothered. I am pure love.
“Stop asking for forgiveness, there's nothing to forgive. If I made you, I filled you with passions, limitations, pleasures, feelings, needs, inconsistencies, and best of all, free will. Why would I blame you if you respond to something I put in you? How could I punish you for being the way you are, if I'm the one who made you? Do you think I could create a place to burn all my children who behave badly for the rest of eternity? What kind of god would do that?
“Respect your peers, and don't give what you don't want for yourself. All I ask is that you pay attention in your life—alertness is your guide.
“My beloved, this life is not a test, not a step on the way, not a rehearsal, not a prelude to paradise. This life is the only thing here and now—and it is all you need.
“I have set you absolutely free, no prizes or punishments, no sins or virtues, no one carries a marker, no one keeps a record.
You are absolutely free to create in your life. It’s you who creates heaven or hell.
“Live as if there is nothing beyond this life, as if this is your only chance to enjoy, to love, to exist. Then you will have enjoyed the opportunity I gave you. And if there is an afterlife, rest assured that I won't ask if you behaved right or wrong, I'll ask, ‘Did you like it? Did you have fun? What did you enjoy the most? What did you learn?’
“Stop believing in me; believing is assuming, guessing, imagining. I don't want you to believe in me, I want you to believe in you. I want you to feel me in you when you kiss your beloved, when you tuck in your little girl, when you caress your dog, when you bathe in the sea.
“Stop praising me. What kind of egomaniac God do you think I am? I'm bored with being praised. I'm tired of being thanked. Feeling grateful? Prove it by taking care of yourself, your health, your relationships, the world. Express your joy! That's the way to praise me.
“Stop complicating things and repeating as a parrot what you've been taught about me. Why do you need more miracles? So many explanations?
“The only thing for sure is that you are here, that you are alive, that this world is full of wonders.”

Another failed thread, Katzguts.

This is a current event?

Good grief, do you even know what current means, Katzguts?

Another failed thread, Katzguts.

This is a current event?

Good grief, do you even know what current means, Katzguts?
She does not;) Then again, You can only start so many threads about payback to BLM and broken ankles and snot....

So the philosophy of the topic fails to inspire you brain dead zombies?

Last edited:
When Einstein gave lectures at U.S. universities, the question students asked him most was:

Baruch de Spinoza was a Dutch philosopher considered one of the great rationalists of 17th century philosophy, along with Descartes.
According to Spinoza, God would say: “Stop praying. I want you to go out into the world and enjoy your life. I want you to sing, have fun and enjoy everything I've made for you.
“Stop going into those dark, cold temples that you built yourself and saying they are my house. My house is in the mountains, in the woods, rivers, lakes, beaches. That's where I live and there I express my love for you.
“Stop blaming me for your miserable life; I never told you there was anything wrong with you or that you were a sinner, or that your sexuality was a bad thing. Sex is a gift I have given you and with which you can express your love, your ecstasy, your joy. So don't blame me for everything that others made you believe.
“Stop reading alleged sacred scriptures that have nothing to do with me. If you can't read me in a sunrise, in a landscape, in the look of your friends, in your son's eyes—you will find me in no book!
“Stop asking me, ‘Will you tell me how to do my job?’ Stop being so scared of me. I do not judge you or criticize you, nor get angry or bothered. I am pure love.
“Stop asking for forgiveness, there's nothing to forgive. If I made you, I filled you with passions, limitations, pleasures, feelings, needs, inconsistencies, and best of all, free will. Why would I blame you if you respond to something I put in you? How could I punish you for being the way you are, if I'm the one who made you? Do you think I could create a place to burn all my children who behave badly for the rest of eternity? What kind of god would do that?
“Respect your peers, and don't give what you don't want for yourself. All I ask is that you pay attention in your life—alertness is your guide.
“My beloved, this life is not a test, not a step on the way, not a rehearsal, not a prelude to paradise. This life is the only thing here and now—and it is all you need.
“I have set you absolutely free, no prizes or punishments, no sins or virtues, no one carries a marker, no one keeps a record.
You are absolutely free to create in your life. It’s you who creates heaven or hell.
“Live as if there is nothing beyond this life, as if this is your only chance to enjoy, to love, to exist. Then you will have enjoyed the opportunity I gave you. And if there is an afterlife, rest assured that I won't ask if you behaved right or wrong, I'll ask, ‘Did you like it? Did you have fun? What did you enjoy the most? What did you learn?’
“Stop believing in me; believing is assuming, guessing, imagining. I don't want you to believe in me, I want you to believe in you. I want you to feel me in you when you kiss your beloved, when you tuck in your little girl, when you caress your dog, when you bathe in the sea.
“Stop praising me. What kind of egomaniac God do you think I am? I'm bored with being praised. I'm tired of being thanked. Feeling grateful? Prove it by taking care of yourself, your health, your relationships, the world. Express your joy! That's the way to praise me.
“Stop complicating things and repeating as a parrot what you've been taught about me. Why do you need more miracles? So many explanations?
“The only thing for sure is that you are here, that you are alive, that this world is full of wonders.”

Beautiful. I had no idea that someone had put into words my concept of the divine/god/creator.

She does not;) Then again, You can only start so many threads about payback to BLM and broken ankles and snot....

Oh look, it's Gossip Grrrl again! Say, seeing as how this is a discussion forum, why don't you discuss the OP instead of other people? Just a suggestion.

Someone who knows you too well made this for you!

anroiym.jpg

Nice work.

Moral of the story: Einstein was deist, believed in a diety, and believed in nature's God.

One of my favorite quotes from Einstein was his recalcitrance to accept quantum mechanics: "God does not play dice with the universe." It turns out God does, but it speaks to Einstein's faith in materialism and a rationally conceived universe.

The thing I like about Einstein's theological posture is that it is sure to piss off barely educated bible thumpers, as well as belligerent militant aetheists.

Aka, one of the most brilliant minds in human history was theist and accepted the possibility of a deity, but he obviously thought Christian biblical literalism was patently preposterous.

why do atheists feel the need to proselytize?.........katzgar is the televangelist of the religion of denial.......

Einstein was not an atheist.

You probably had no interest in reading anything about Einstein, but he charted his own course between the extremes of militant atheism and religious fundamentalism.

His deism was unique to him, but probably comes closest to the deism of nature's God held by Voltaire, Rousseau, Kant, Emerson and many of the Enlightenment and Transcendental thinkers

Nice work.

Moral of the story: Einstein was deist, believed in a diety, and believed in nature's God.

One of my favorite quotes from Einstein was his recalcitrance to accept quantum mechanics: "God does not play dice with the universe." It turns out God does, but it speaks to Einstein's faith in materialism and a rationally conceived universe.

I always liked Hawking's response to that. "Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen."

Einstein was not an atheist.

You probably had no interest in reading anything about Einstein, but he charted his own course between the extremes of militant atheism and religious fundamentalism.

His deism was unique to him, but probably comes closest to the deism of nature's God held by Voltaire, Rousseau, Kant, Emerson and many of the Enlightenment and Transcendental thinkers

Reality can be called god

Albert merely wished to label reality god

Back