Elimination of The Payroll Tax

Al Gore has proposed that The US eliminate The Payroll Tax, and replace it with another tax. Comments?

I can understand why people want to do thiis, because the payroll tax is a regressive tax on the poor and middle class and the wealthiest do not pay it, while the wealthiest BENEFIT from these surplus SS taxes via the general budget and general revenues fund....

The only problem with eliminating it would be the portion the employer pays for the employee would be eliminated too and that would be unfair unlesss these companies found another way to offer some sort of retirement program for their employees, which mosst don't....other than paying in to SS for the individual's retirement?

I totally agree with Gore.. that is if he is leaning towards a Consumption Tx.... what other form of Tax could he be referring to?

Could be a play on words, He could be leaning or gearing up for a total income tax. All sources of income taxed the same ? I can't read politicos little pinheaded minds....

By the way.. the poor ...under a certain income...do not pay Taxes.... they get most or all of it ...and in some cases more than they paid into ... back in the form of a refund check. The working middle class is the class that takes it up the ass... Unlike the wealthy, this is the class that has very few loop holes if none at all to escape paying taxes.

Im convinced the only fair tax would be in the form of a consumption tax... where we all pay according to our standard of living.

He wants to tax carbon dioxide emissions (basically, penalizing pollution instead of employment...a "carbon tax").

It's an okay idea on paper, but would be challenging as more & more companies clean up & start moving toward alternative energy. Of course, that would be kind of a good problem to have...

Definitely it depends on what type of tax to which he refers. Too little information here to give a solid opinion on it...

By the way.. the poor ...under a certain income...do not pay Taxes.... they get most or all of it ...and in some cases more than they paid into ...

I seriously doubt that they "pay no taxes". I would speculate that the poor pay a relatively large chunk of their income on all forms of taxes: gasoline tax, sales and local state, excise tax, payroll tax, state tax, etc.

Maybe you're simply refering to federal income tax.

By the way.. the poor ...under a certain income...do not pay Taxes.... they get most or all of it ...and in some cases more than they paid into ...

I seriously doubt that they "pay no taxes". I would speculate that the poor pay a relatively large chunk of their income on all forms of taxes: gasoline tax, sales and local state, excise tax, payroll tax, state tax, etc.

They still also pay payroll taxes, SSI takes a chunk up to a certain income level. The tax is regressive. The richest pay less of their income into the fund as after 90K or so they no longer have to pay into it. However, they are paid back by "Tax Credits" that really aren't Credits as they haven't paid the Tax they are getting a Credit for. They usually will get far more than they paid into SSI "back" from the federal government.

I am referring to Federal Income Tax..because thats what we are talking about in this particular thread... Cypress, you are always trying to gain advantage by playing with words ... its so damn transparent.

They still also pay payroll taxes, SSI takes a chunk up to a certain income level. The tax is regressive. The richest pay less of their income into the fund as after 90K or so they no longer have to pay into it. However, they are paid back by "Tax Credits" that really aren't Credits as they haven't paid the Tax they are getting a Credit for. They usually will get far more than they paid into SSI "back" from the federal government.

Right. The poor don't have much money, and they DO pay a fair chunk of their income on ALL forms of taxes. When you're only makeing 18 grand a year, paying say 20 % of you income on all these other forms of taxes is burdensome enough. Its more burdensome to pay 20% on 18 grand, than it is to pay 25% on a hundred grand.

We can give them a break on one tax: the federal income tax. Its the christian thing to do ;)

Right. The poor don't have much money, and they DO pay a fair chunk of their income on ALL forms of taxes. When you're only makeing 18 grand a year, paying say 20 % of you income on all these other forms of taxes is burdensome enough. Its more burdensome to pay 20% on 18 grand, than it is to pay 25% on a hundred grand.

We can give them a break on one tax: the federal income tax. Its the christian thing to do ;)
We not only give them a break, we pay them for it. Like I said, they are more than paid back, on filing, for their Payroll Taxes of SSI, etc. The only forms they pay that may not be fully compensated for are sales taxes, but with the amount they get back in "Credits" for unpaid Federal Income Tax they are pretty close to getting paid back for that even...

I am referring to Federal Income Tax..because thats what we are talking about in this particular thread... Cypress, you are always trying to gain advantage by playing with words ... its so damn transparent.

Uh, no this thread wasn't about the Federal income tax. While I didn't read every single post, I assumed the debate was about the payroll FICA tax. That's not income tax.

The title of the threat was about the payroll tax. FICA.

The working poor pay a FICA tax. As I stated in my first post.

We not only give them a break, we pay them for it. Like I said, they are more than paid back, on filing, for their Payroll Taxes of SSI, etc. The only forms they pay that may not be fully compensated for are sales taxes, but with the amount they get back in "Credits" for unpaid Federal Income Tax they are pretty close to getting paid back for that even...

Sales tax isn't the only tax. There's gasoline tax, excise tax, utility tax, phone tax, etc. I've seen no evidence that the working poor "get back" more than they pay in.

Sales tax isn't the only tax. There's gasoline tax, excise tax, utility tax, phone tax, etc. I've seen no evidence that the working poor "get back" more than they pay in.
All of those are consumption taxes. I was including them in the "sales tax"... as they are collected at the point of sale.

So you never heard of Earned Income Credit? Or the fact that they get money in a return when all they have paid was Payroll Taxes? I know this to be fact because even before I had children, or a good job, I usually got a nice return. Pretending that this doesn't exist doesn't make it real....

and conservatives are fond of saying that goverment "fees" is just a nice way of saying another "tax".

Car registration fees, liscence fees, sewage water and trash fees, toll road fees. All go to pay for government services. I honestly think the notion that the working poor "get back" more than they pay in, is a construct of the Rush Limbaugh show.

So you never heard of Earned Income Credit? Or the fact that they get money in a return when all they have paid was Payroll Taxes? I know this to be fact because even before I had children, or a good job, I usually got a nice return. Pretending that this doesn't exist doesn't make it real....

Do all working poor have kids?
Does the EIC only apply to people below the poverty line?

No.

No one has showed me any math, that shows when you account for ALL taxes and fees at the federal, state, and local level that they get back more than they pay in, on average.

Back