Elimination of The Payroll Tax

No, but they are future earners who will pay for your SS. Are you deliberately missing the fact that they will earn the money you draw? That at one point you were the kid that was going to become the earner for the nation? That the future is something that we have chosen to invest in?

Naw they won't pay for mine. The surplus has been spent and in a few years ALL TAXPAYERS will be paying for SS for the second time.

Naw they won't pay for mine. The surplus has been spent and in a few years ALL TAXPAYERS will be paying for SS for the second time.

Which means that those kids, when they enter the workforce, will be paying your SS. I don't think it will even exist when they and I get to the point of collection.

So you are pro SS Damo ?
No. I'm not. I really don't think it is worth what we pay. However, it is the reality that I and those kids will be paying for many people's retirement before it is all said and done.

So basically, those that do not have children pay for the children that others choose to have because some day those children will contribute to the tax structure?

It does seem strange that the government gives a tax credit to people that have children AFTER THEY HAVE ALREADY HAD THEM....that really doesn't seem like some tax credit that would make someone have children or encourage one having children.....?

Australia, pays the mothers TO HAVE CHILDREN before they even get pregnant to encourage childbirth, so to ensure paying their future bills like taxes...

No. I'm not. I really don't think it is worth what we pay. However, it is the reality that I and those kids will be paying for many people's retirement before it is all said and done.

Yes it is a reality ... for now. Sadly ...Bush was not able to convince America that SS needs to be reformed and brought into the 21st century and we are living in an era where technology could make the transition painless. I suspect in the near future...be it a Democrat or Republican .... A plan very much like the one Bush was trying to sell will be presented once again and this time it will be sold. The one part of this that pisses me off ...I'll be too old to take advantage of it ..... and to think Ive been an advocate of some sort of privatization for years.... at least my kids will be righted....

The tech used in fatherland security has not been painless, nor would I suspect would the privitization of SS either.

I say lets keep payroll taxes. It gives the congress incentive to keep our wages up. We make less money, they get less money to buy favors with.

I am for a pure flat rate personal income tax. If you make $1,000 you pay a flat percentage for that say 15%. If you make $100,000,000,000 you pay 15% of that. No exemptions for anything.

I understand the rational thinking behind taxing carbon emissions ... but how long would the revenue stream last? I could see two things transpiring ..one... a positive ... manufacturers would work their asses off controlling the emissions to lessen the tax burden..., the other a negative ..Corporate America would flee the country. Both cases transpiring... the revenue stream would lessen to the point where a new tax would be neccessary to make up the difference... less emissions = less revenue; less manufacurers = less revenue. What would the new tax be? A return to Payroll.., Sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles
No, but they are future earners who will pay for your SS. Are you deliberately missing the fact that they will earn the money you draw? That at one point you were the kid that was going to become the earner for the nation? That the future is something that we have chosen to invest in?

All that money sitting in IRAs will be such a tempting target. Those who had foregone consumption in favor of a secure retirement should expect to get screwed. The same jackasses who leased SUVs will be whining "They have all that money and I can't afford anything - It's not faaaaiiiiiirrrr!"

Not me, I will be dead before those being born today ever pay in a dime to SS.
Sorry just a bit of a Grind moment there ;)
And besides I have already paid in most all my premiums.
Not my fault the gummit already spent them on other stuff.

It's not going to change the power brokers love it the way it is.
A carbon tax only would be sweet. I'd have me a plug in prius and pay next to no taxes.
And it would but the dog huey out of my Alt energy investments.
Go Al!!!!

I said i'd as in I would.
I drive a used explored sport.
Right now Prius isn't worth the extra cost.
If we had a carbon tax it would justify itself real quick.

"I understand the rational thinking behind taxing carbon emissions ... but how long would the revenue stream last? I could see two things transpiring ..one... a positive ... manufacturers would work their asses off controlling the emissions to lessen the tax burden..., the other a negative ..Corporate America would flee the country. Both cases transpiring... the revenue stream would lessen to the point where a new tax would be neccessary to make up the difference... less emissions = less revenue; less manufacurers = less revenue. What would the new tax be? A return to Payroll.., Sales?"

Do you really think we will be weaned off CO2 producing Tech in THAT short a period of time? How laissez-pollyanna are you?

Most of corporate America isn't directly involved in CO2 production. We ceased to be a manufacturing based country long ago.

You also fail to take into account the revenues generated by taking back the energy sector.

Back