Elway Mortaging the Future to Win Now

Bonestorm

Thrillhouse
That's a lot of money they threw at Ward, Talib and Ware and it's a big time cap hit over the long term. Manning ain't getting any younger. Looks like a two year window before the bill comes due.

Elway ain't fucking around.

This just in. Footage of John Elway and Joe Ellis:

skrilla3.gif

That's a lot of money they threw at Ward, Talib and Ware and it's a big time cap hit over the long term. Manning ain't getting any younger. Looks like a two year window before the bill comes due.

Elway ain't fucking around.

Yeah, I guess the thought process is they are close so f the future and try to win now.

Yeah, I guess the thought process is they are close so f the future and try to win now.

Makes sense. I don't get why the Patriots don't to the same thing and instead prefer to let their good players go and making do with mediocrity. I suppose it's easier to do that when you've already won a couple.

Makes sense. I don't get why the Patriots don't to the same thing and instead prefer to let their good players go and making do with mediocrity. I suppose it's easier to do that when you've already won a couple.

The Pats are definitely unique with their run of success in the salary cap era. You know the team better than I. Would have paying to keep more veterans brought another title or two in your opinion? Would it have led to a decline today with salary cap pain?

The Pats are definitely unique with their run of success in the salary cap era. You know the team better than I. Would have paying to keep more veterans brought another title or two in your opinion? Would it have led to a decline today with salary cap pain?

Full disclosure: I hate the Pats. I'm not originally from here. I think the Pats have a certain arrogance that they can win with mediocre talent and without paying out big money. They had a great run and have been competitive, but they've come up short lately and yet they still maintain the same philosophy. brady isn't getting any younger. Their offensive talent is dismal, particularly at WR and TE (with Gronk hurt). They aren't so hot on the defensive side of the ball either. And they dont' draft well. It's hard to see them remaining competitive in the AFC as a whole (the East sucks ass so they can still win it) without spending money in the free agent market.

The Broncos were playing in shoot-outs last year (Washington, KC, Dallas, San Diego R1, etc.). It makes sense to beef up that defense. Especially when the division is looking to get even more competitive, and it sent 3 teams to the playoffs as it was.

Full disclosure: I hate the Pats. I'm not originally from here. I think the Pats have a certain arrogance that they can win with mediocre talent and without paying out big money. They had a great run and have been competitive, but they've come up short lately and yet they still maintain the same philosophy. brady isn't getting any younger. Their offensive talent is dismal, particularly at WR and TE (with Gronk hurt). They aren't so hot on the defensive side of the ball either. And they dont' draft well. It's hard to see them remaining competitive in the AFC as a whole (the East sucks ass so they can still win it) without spending money in the free agent market.

Very nice, I hate the Pats as well! For some reason I seem to recall mentioning the Eagles before. Is that your team? And I completely agree with you about the team's arrogance and how that can make it's way through the organization. And while I admire all Tom Brady has accomplished, and even though he is a Bay Area boy, he still went to Michigan so I get great joy in not seeing them win.

((As an aside 2008 was the year I spent 9 months working in Boston and my first weekend there was the (first) Super Bowl against the Giants. Oh man was that fun to watch them lose.))

I admit that it was awesome watching the Patriots lose to the Giants in 2007. Best Super Bowl I've ever seen.

That said, where do people get the whole arrogance thing from? Is it Bellichick? I mean, you could accuse the Steelers, Cowgirls, and Niners of being arrogant. I think Packer nation is relatively humble, but they're Midwesterners. Raiders fans would be arrogant if they weren't already scumbags and losers.

I guess the real question is, were the Patriots viewed as arrogant before they were winners, and will they be perceived so post-Brady?

I admit that it was awesome watching the Patriots lose to the Giants in 2007. Best Super Bowl I've ever seen.

That said, where do people get the whole arrogance thing from? Is it Bellichick? I mean, you could accuse the Steelers, Cowgirls, and Niners of being arrogant. I think Packer nation is relatively humble, but they're Midwesterners. Raiders fans would be arrogant if they weren't already scumbags and losers.

I guess the real question is, were the Patriots viewed as arrogant before they were winners, and will they be perceived so post-Brady?

For me I think it's Belichick. Just his whole overall demeanor and then the whole Spygate issue.

My recollection is the Pats were actually a laughing stock for a number of years in the '80's. The whole arrogant thing came with Belicheck, Brady and the team winning.

The nice thing about NE is that they win AFC titles in 1985 and 1996, so even though they weren't champs, they made themselves somewhat relevant pre-2000. Lots of teams disappear for decades at a time before suddenly putting together a playoff/championship team.

Very nice, I hate the Pats as well! For some reason I seem to recall mentioning the Eagles before. Is that your team? And I completely agree with you about the team's arrogance and how that can make it's way through the organization. And while I admire all Tom Brady has accomplished, and even though he is a Bay Area boy, he still went to Michigan so I get great joy in not seeing them win.

((As an aside 2008 was the year I spent 9 months working in Boston and my first weekend there was the (first) Super Bowl against the Giants. Oh man was that fun to watch them lose.))

Yeah, Eagles are my team. THey just acquired Darren Sproles from the Saints. Their offense is going to be interesting with McCoy, Sproles, Desean Jackson, Maclin, Cooper, Ertz and Celek. Lots of skill and speed. Their defense was a dumpster fire last year, though, and it looks like they'll have to improve through the draft.

I hate the Pats but my wife is a fan so I'm torn when they lose. It's like, I love seeing them lose, but I don't like it when my wife is pissed.

It's the post-Brady, Bellichick, Robert Kraft "Patriot Way" bullshit that bugs the hell out of me. They just signed Revis to a one-year/$12 million deal but they still need a WR or two.

Yeah, Eagles are my team. THey just acquired Darren Sproles from the Saints. Their offense is going to be interesting with McCoy, Sproles, Desean Jackson, Maclin, Cooper, Ertz and Celek. Lots of skill and speed. Their defense was a dumpster fire last year, though, and it looks like they'll have to improve through the draft.

I hate the Pats but my wife is a fan so I'm torn when they lose. It's like, I love seeing them lose, but I don't like it when my wife is pissed.

Ahhh, the old 'happy wife happy life' adage huh? I'm a 49ers fan and the wife is Cowboys. She gets pissed when the Cowboys lose but in my case because of my dislike of the Cowboys I have no empathy. But it doesn't make for a happy household.

The Eagles have some talent like you said. It's a very winnable division as well so they'll be in the hunt this year.

Ahhh, the old 'happy wife happy life' adage huh? I'm a 49ers fan and the wife is Cowboys. She gets pissed when the Cowboys lose but in my case because of my dislike of the Cowboys I have no empathy. But it doesn't make for a happy household.

You wife must be pissed a lot.

The Eagles have some talent like you said. It's a very winnable division as well so they'll be in the hunt this year.

I'm happy if they win the division and make the playoffs. To expect anything more is is unrealistic.

You wife must be pissed a lot.

I'm happy if they win the division and make the playoffs. To expect anything more is is unrealistic.

LOL, she is. The thing is my best friend is a Cowboys fan so my wife and him text all the time about the team. I can't stand them.

Back