Employers cut jobs for sixth straight month

Trusting in the federal government is not a sign of a smart person.

If I am not mistaken, they get the numbers from who collects or file for unemployment.

If you are unemployed for longer than you get an unemployment check, are you still counted as unemployed or do they magically think you are now employed.

That is 100% incorrect. The unemployment rate has nothing to do with people filing for unemployment.

The unemployment rate is a survey. They randomly call households and ask how many people in the house are 16 or over. Then how many are working. Then of those who are not working, how many are actively looking for a job.

The latter is what determines the unemployment rate.

Thats true, 5.5% is pretty much full employment.

I think USC's point was that companies keep cutting jobs but the unemployment rate doesn't change.

Yep that is my point. 6 straight months of net job losses and the unemployment rate has changed very little.

Actually, its not very surprising. The news articles usually mention thousands losing their job.

The population of the USA is around 301 million. So it takes 3 million to make 1%. So unless 300,000 lose their jobs, the unemployment rate won't change.

btw paulsen say the economy is set to strengthen before the end of the year.

Where Have I heard that kind of stuff before? about this same time last year ?

Ohh maybe it was Moodys, who are being investigated for painting a false rosy picture.

Wow are you sooo focused on blaming Bush for everything bad that you actually HOPE the economy doesn't strengthen? I get the feeling lots of Dems would be disappointed if the economy got better before the first tuesday in November. Then McCain could say "see the economy is NOT so bad so lets focus back on being afraid of the evil doers." If my choice is between Obama being president and the economy rocking I will pick the strong economy. I find no joy in people being out of work and there being a high misery index, EVEN if it means getting the guy I support elected.

"Wow are you sooo focused on blaming Bush for everything bad that you actually HOPE the economy doesn't strengthen? "

Where did he say that? He was expressing pessimism about overly rosy forecasts - not exactly unwarranted given past results.

A strong economy in the fall would be better for Dems, anyway, since they control Congress. Given the current fundamentals, it's just not likely to happen.

Yeah Soc ignore the reality and keep on going. that is a big factor that has led us to this problem.

Shove the problem off on the dems.

it's more USC's ignorance of economics than Bush hate, also his desire to be liked by turbo-libs
I'd give it 60% ignorance, 30% Repuk hate, 10% Bush hate.
Wow Oncelor almost made a relevant contibution but fell short becuase he was defending the above.

I partially blame last year's minimum wage increase.

I don't like anything the gov't has tried recently; it's all band aid stuff. Rebates, bailouts, whatever it is.

The best thing gov't can do is balance its own budget, reduce the deficit and go about its business in a fiscally responsible manner. When it has done that or tried to do that, we've gotten the best results as a country.

Damn Oncelor is right.
And Obama is asking for another 50 billion in stimulus.
Ohh, I'll take my check though

Back