Exxon-Mobile $40 billion dollar profits in 2007

CanadianKid

Exxon Mobil posts $40.6 billion annual profit
Oil giant breaks record for largest annual profit by a U.S. company

updated 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
HOUSTON - Exxon Mobil Corp. on Friday posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company — $40.6 billion — as the world’s biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from historic crude prices at year’s end.

Exxon also set a U.S. record for the biggest quarterly profit, posting net income of $11.7 billion for the final three months of 2007, beating its own mark of $10.71 billion in the fourth quarter of 2005.

The previous record for annual profit was $39.5 billion, which Exxon Mobil made in 2006.

The eye-popping results weren’t a surprise given record prices for a barrel of oil at the end of 2007. For much of the fourth quarter, they hovered around $90 a barrel, more than 50 percent higher than a year ago.

Crude prices reached an all-time trading high of $100.09 on Jan. 3 but have fallen about 10 percent since.

The record profit for the October-December period amounted to $2.13 a share versus $1.76 a share in 2006. Year-ago net income was $10.25 billion.

Also extraordinary was Exxon Mobil’s revenue, which rose 30 percent in the fourth quarter to $116.6 billion from $90 billion a year ago.

For the year, sales rose to $404.5 billion — the most ever for the Irving, Texas-based company — from the $377.64 billion it posted in 2006.

In a statement, Exxon Mobil Chairman Rex Tillerson said the company continued to meet the world’s energy needs through its “globally diverse resource base.”

“Our long-term investment program, in projects often far from major consuming nations, continued to provide resources essential to the increasingly interdependent global energy supply network,” Tillerson said.

Exxon Mobil produces about 3 percent of the world’s oil.

Its shares fell 65 cents to $85.75 in morning trading after rising as high as $87.86 earlier in the session.

Higher commodity prices in the quarter were clearly evident from earnings at Exxon Mobil’s exploration and production arm, known as the upstream. Income rose 32 percent to $8.2 billion from $6.2 billion a year ago.

On an oil-equivalent basis, production increased nearly 1 percent from the fourth quarter of 2006. Excluding the expropriation of its Venezuelan assets last year, divestments and other factors, production rose nearly 3 percent.

Refining and marketing, or downstream, earnings were $2.3 billion, up from nearly 2 billion in the year-ago quarter, as improved refining operations offset lower U.S. refining margins.

In the U.S., downstream earnings were off sharply from a year ago — $622 million in the most-recent quarter versus $945 million in 2006.

Refining margins — the difference between the cost of crude and what the company makes on refined products such as gasoline — have been squeezed in recent months as spiking oil prices outpaced increases in gasoline prices and other refined products.

Already, ConocoPhillips has said record oil prices at the end of 2007 helped it post a 37 percent increase in fourth-quarter profit, even as it produced less crude and natural gas than a year earlier. Its fourth-quarter net income rose to $4.37 billion versus $3.2 billion a year earlier.

ConocoPhillips is the nation’s third-largest integrated oil company behind Exxon Mobil and Chevron Corp.

Chevron reporrted separately Friday its profit rose 29.2 percent in the fourth quarter, as surging prices for crude oil offset weak results from its refining business. It earned $4.88 billion, or $2.32 per share, from $3.77 billion, or $1.74 per share, a year earlier. Revenue rose 29 percent to $61.41 billion from $47.75 billion.

On Thursday, Royal Dutch Shell PLC, Europe’s largest oil company, reported fourth-quarter profit rose 60 percent to $8.47 billion on asset sales and higher oil prices. What’s more, the Anglo-Dutch company said full-year net profit was a record $31.3 billion, up 23 percent from the prior year.

Thanks Bush and Co. for your war profiteering and jacking up prices to help your oil buddies....

CK

No, they are not making unreasonable profits from higher priced oil. They couldent just cut the cost of gas a bit and make a little less could they...?

Also Occidental petroleum and shell also announced record profit increases. the shell CEO said it was due to high crude prices. the oil companies love the dropping dollar and the war.

which is why they invest in alt energy research. An inconvienient truth for those who love to think of oil companies as evil.

yeah I figure the are into alt energey research about like the drug industry is into drug research who spends 2X as much on advertising as research.
the oil companies will do what they can to keep us hooked on their oil cash cow until it is gone. that is just good business sense from their point of view.

Oil won't last forever, it would be a good move to be ready for a new era.

i red somewhere it replenishes itself. also i wonder how close they are to being able to artificially produce it. they can already grow real diamonds now by re-creating the environment in a lab.

they can run an engine on bio-oil or veg-oil.. and we can grow cells.. sooooo

What the researchers found when they analyzed the oil field with time lapse 3-D seismic imaging is that there was an unexplained deep fault in the bottom corner of the computer scan, which showed oil gushing in from a previously unknown deep source and migrating up through the rock to replenish the existing supply.

Furthermore, the analysis of the oil now being produced at Eugene Island shows that its age is geologically different from the oil produced there after the refinery first opened. Suggesting strongly that it is now emerging from a different, unexplained source.

The last estimates of probable reserves shot up from 60 million barrels to 400 million barrels.

Both the scientists and geologists from the big oil companies have seen the evidence and admitted that the Eugene Island oil field is refilling itself.

This completely contradicts peak oil theory and with technology improving at an accelerating pace it seems obvious that there are more Eugene Islands out there waiting to be discovered. So the scientific community needs to embrace these possibilities and lobby for funding into finding more of these deep source replenishing oilfields.

The existence of self-renewing oil fields shatters the peak oil myth. If oil is a naturally replenishing inorganic substance then how can it possibly run out?
http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/peak_oil/index.htm

right we can never use up all the oil :rolleyes:

But we still have just about reached a point where demand is exceeding the pumping capacity.

yeah I figure the are into alt energey research about like the drug industry is into drug research who spends 2X as much on advertising as research.
the oil companies will do what they can to keep us hooked on their oil cash cow until it is gone. that is just good business sense from their point of view.

how is it good business to know what you supply will run out and you do nothing to change your future course?

Chap, I don't think it is "naturally replinishing". I think the more likely scenario is that the oil deposit was larger than they expected. That there was a deeper deposit that is feeding into the one they discovered.

We should let oil prices remain high and focus on alt energy. It is good for our health and national security to do so.

how is it good business to know what you supply will run out and you do nothing to change your future course?

the price will just get higher. We will not run out of oil for many years but the pirce will get really high. Kind of like R12 Freon.
And we have not made or imported that that for how many years ? 20 ?
You can still get it though if you want to pay.

the price will just get higher. We will not run out of oil for many years but the pirce will get really high. Kind of like R12 Freon.

oil and gas companies have invested billions in alternative research. Go check how much state owned and run enterprises have invested.

You wouldn't last a day as CEO of one of these oil companies with your attitude.

oil and gas companies have invested billions in alternative research. Go check how much state owned and run enterprises have invested.

You wouldn't last a day as CEO of one of these oil companies with your attitude.

True I would not last a day because ceo of a megacorp is the last job in the world I would want :D

CEO of my own little company is fine though.
How many tax breaks do they get on those alt investments, so how much is it really costing them ?

True I would not last a day because ceo of a megacorp is the last job in the world I would want :D

CEO of my own little company is fine though.
How many tax breaks do they get on those alt investments, so how much is it really costing them ?

doesn't matter, the fact is they are still doing it when government run oil companies don't (or do very much less).

your problem US is that you have the same "oiol companies are evil" attitude I was referring to. Do they want to be profitable? Of course. Now which do you think is more profitable?

1) Having to rely on politicians for permission to drill new sites, get oil contracts, relying on foreign governments to stand by those contracts etc...

or

2) developing the replacement for oil, being the first to market the new technology that will allow it to be replaced in an economically viable way, the PR for being the one that broke foreign energy dependence and being the one holding the patents on the new technologies.

your problem US is that you have the same "oiol companies are evil" attitude I was referring to. Do they want to be profitable? Of course. Now which do you think is more profitable?

1) Having to rely on politicians for permission to drill new sites, get oil contracts, relying on foreign governments to stand by those contracts etc...

or

2) developing the replacement for oil, being the first to market the new technology that will allow it to be replaced in an economically viable way, the PR for being the one that broke foreign energy dependence and being the one holding the patents on the new technologies.

If you do not know the answer to that considering the trillions in infrastructure the oil companies have in place for oil you are a piss poor business type.

it is not a simple yes/no answer like you seem to think all things are, it is a timing thing to maximize profit.

Back