Exxon-Mobile $40 billion dollar profits in 2007

If you do not know the answer to that considering the trillions in infrastructure the oil companies have in place for oil you are a piss poor business type.

it is not a simple yes/no answer like you seem to think all things are, it is a timing thing to maximize profit.

I understand fully that they have infrastructure in place. I also understand that they can begin shifting that infrastructure to accomodate alt energy. They are in the perfect position to take advantage. It is not like alt energy is going to suddenly take over all energy demands that are currently filled by oil. It will be a gradual process.... one in which the oil companies will flow right along with, but they will be in the front of the pack, not the back.

There are immense profits to be made in alt energy. Not there yet by any means.... but that is what they are working towards.

They are most certainly going to continue investing in alt energy and they will continue to be the leaders in R&D in this area because they see the long term picture.

I understand fully that they have infrastructure in place. I also understand that they can begin shifting that infrastructure to accomodate alt energy. They are in the perfect position to take advantage. It is not like alt energy is going to suddenly take over all energy demands that are currently filled by oil. It will be a gradual process.... one in which the oil companies will flow right along with, but they will be in the front of the pack, not the back.

There are immense profits to be made in alt energy. Not there yet by any means.... but that is what they are working towards.

They are most certainly going to continue investing in alt energy and they will continue to be the leaders in R&D in this area because they see the long term picture.

yep and you can bet they will wring every last dime of profit out of oil that they can.
Even if it means lobbying against some sustainable energy projects even while claiming to be green.

yep and you can bet they will wring every last dime of profit out of oil that they can.
Even if it means lobbying against some sustainable energy projects even while claiming to be green.

they're not claiming to be green for political reasons. They invest in alternative sources of energy because that's where the future growth is.

They advertise ethonol investments and other green stuff for what reason ?

green has become politically correct again.

Good pr to offsed the neg pr is the main reason imho. However the tax breaks do not hurt either.
So you are saying ethanol is the way to go ?

Good pr to offsed the neg pr is the main reason imho. However the tax breaks do not hurt either.

i have no idea if ethanol is the way to go. What I do know is these companies have spent billions on alternative energy investments. What kind of return or success they will have remains to be seen. But their business model has slightly changed.

Grain based... no...

Cellulose based.... yes, if they can make it cost effectively without subsidies, then do so.

This is silly. If the only people who could research it was the oil companies I'd agree. However, they are just one of many doing the research. The company who comes up with the new technology is going to pretty much OWN, they aren't trying to suppress it, they know that they can't at this moment do anything of the sort.

What the researchers found when they analyzed the oil field with time lapse 3-D seismic imaging is that there was an unexplained deep fault in the bottom corner of the computer scan, which showed oil gushing in from a previously unknown deep source and migrating up through the rock to replenish the existing supply.

Furthermore, the analysis of the oil now being produced at Eugene Island shows that its age is geologically different from the oil produced there after the refinery first opened. Suggesting strongly that it is now emerging from a different, unexplained source.

The last estimates of probable reserves shot up from 60 million barrels to 400 million barrels.

Both the scientists and geologists from the big oil companies have seen the evidence and admitted that the Eugene Island oil field is refilling itself.

This completely contradicts peak oil theory and with technology improving at an accelerating pace it seems obvious that there are more Eugene Islands out there waiting to be discovered. So the scientific community needs to embrace these possibilities and lobby for funding into finding more of these deep source replenishing oilfields.

The existence of self-renewing oil fields shatters the peak oil myth. If oil is a naturally replenishing inorganic substance then how can it possibly run out?
http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/peak_oil/index.htm

It must be dark matter...

It can possibly run out by using more than what is being replenished. You don't know where the oil is coming from to replenish that oil, but its got to come from soemwhere, it isn't magically appearring.

Hence, dark matter. All scientific inquiry can now cease, because we have guessed the source of the oil.

Back