Fed Expected to Cut Rates for 2nd Time

moron it's not souless to make money.
They are responding to the situation as it is not as you do as you hope it to be.

LOL, I have been into gold since I was able to invest a year or so ago.
I have divested myself of foreign stocks.

Yeah Chap did sound a bit greedy though.
I feel that all we have done is delay the inevitable and make it worse when it happens.

If you want to get in gas and oil as well as gold buy a nice mutual fund like PSPFX.

Two good ones for Precious metals would be Prudent Global Income (PSAFX) and Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining (VGPMX).

And don't assume jewelry is an investment. 14K gold is less pure than investment gold and would need to be refined. You also pay a premium for the crafstmanship, etc. You will not get a return on a jewelry "investment", buy jewelry because you like it.

Im thinking of buying another home next year and moving into it and renting my exsisting home. I figure we can rent this one for twice the payment in this exsisting market and buy a fixer at a good price and spend a couple of years in it fixing it up. Then either turn it or rent it depending on the market at that time.

Im thinking of buying another home next year and moving into it and renting my exsisting home. I figure we can rent this one for twice the payment in this exsisting market and buy a fixer at a good price and spend a couple of years in it fixing it up. Then either turn it or rent it depending on the market at that time.
Real Estate is always a good investment because it can bring value through rentals and allows for some fun 1031 action.

Its also entertainment to me. Vegas is holding strong with job creation and looks like it will continue even in the face of an economic slowdown. I can pick up a modest house in a good neighborhood and tweek it into a diamond and have fun the whole time. When the recovery comes I just may end up with a chunk of dough which I can write off and move back in my old house and do the same. Or if it works out move on from my little diamond and build a retirement income of rental houses. After renting my house in Cali with so much success I just cant see why it cant be done and this market is going to be perfect for picking up diamonds in the ruff.

Its also entertainment to me. Vegas is holding strong with job creation and looks like it will continue even in the face of an economic slowdown. I can pick up a modest house in a good neighborhood and tweek it into a diamond and have fun the whole time. When the recovery comes I just may end up with a chunk of dough which I can write off and move back in my old house and do the same. Or if it works out move on from my little diamond and build a retirement income of rental houses. After renting my house in Cali with so much success I just cant see why it cant be done and this market is going to be perfect for picking up diamonds in the ruff.
Nah, do the 1031 and reinvest in another diamond in the rough. What's great about it is you can do it nearly anywhere.

True and you can then take the profits and reinvest in many ways until you are just ready to rest on your laurells.

If you want to get in gas and oil as well as gold buy a nice mutual fund like PSPFX.

Two good ones for Precious metals would be Prudent Global Income (PSAFX) and Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining (VGPMX).

And don't assume jewelry is an investment. 14K gold is less pure than investment gold and would need to be refined. You also pay a premium for the crafstmanship, etc. You will not get a return on a jewelry "investment", buy jewelry because you like it.

I would avoid the PSAFX. It has much higher expense ratios than the closed ends and if you are looking to invest in gold it is a higher risk play as it invests mainly in companies that mine the gold and not the gold bullion itself. I would stay with the GLD/IAU suggestions for gold or CEF if you want a combo gold/silver bullion play.

VGPMX has a much lower expense ratio and compares with that of the closed end funds, but it also does not invest directly in the bullion, so keep in mind it will likely have a greater degree of risk (but could also lead to higher return potentials)

As always, do your own due diligence or consult your advisor if you use one to ensure that your investments are suitable for your risk tolerance and goals.

As always, do your own due diligence or consult your advisor if you use one to ensure that your investments are suitable for your risk tolerance and goals.

Yes, I keep forgetting to add this. As I've never been a professional. All my advice comes in the form of "just this guy".

Vanguard usually has the best expense ratios.

well just be carefull. there are also horror stories with rentals.

Yes there are. I have found if you keep your rent very competitive you can pick and choose your renter from the best of the crop. You dont get greedy and you keep prepaired for fixes and gaps in rent. I have had VERY little trouble with renters when I picked them myself.

Funny, I was thinking about doing the same thing. Just not in the US. If you are looking to buy and then rent to cover mortgage payment plus income, check out some of the properties going up in Panama. With the third canal being built, there will be a need to house employees and they typically look to rent. Add to that the cost of living being much cheaper than in the US and you can probably look for more US retirees to be heading down there... as they have already started doing in parts of Mexico and Costa Rica.

Yes, I keep forgetting to add this. As I've never been a professional. All my advice comes in the form of "just this guy".

Vanguard usually has the best expense ratios.

Vanguard is an index shop and thus you are correct, they tend to have lower expense ratios. ie... the GLD and IAU both have expense ratios of 0.4% and I think Vanguards gold fund you mentioned is similar. In deciding between them it is simply a matter of risk/return preferences.

Back