Fidel Castro: Hero, Villain (or Heroic Villain)?

Uh, yes.... Che was MUCH worse! But both are marxist scumbags, and Castro should have been taken out by the United States a long time ago.

tha sure is a fine Christian attitude. I think I have finally figured out who you really are. Marion Patrick Robertson :)

This thread deserves a bump, and a place in the Museum of JPP Idiocy.

Summary of this thread:

"Fidel Castro... great leader?

Or... the Greatest Leader?"

Anyone else have a lingering -- or grudging -- respect for Fidel? I do, I freely admit. This is NOT to say that his government is especially enlightened or that he's really built a worker's paradise in Cuba. It isn't and he hasn't. I do grant him a couple of points though.

One is that his regime is better than the Batista government was, at least for the majority of Cubans. That's on balance, of course, not on every single criterion. Many of the charges levelled at Castro -- especially the valid ones, about freedom of expression and the like -- could be made with just as much justice against the former regime.

Another is that he's one hell of a smart and feisty survivor. He's managed to keep his runty little nation afloat in a sea of much larger and more powerful predators. And he's done it while remaining an irritant.

Out of communist dictators (not a prestigous field to be included in), Fidel is by far the best, and is the only one who isn't an egomaniacal freak. Maybe if the US wouldn't have treated his country like shit after they rebelled they wouldn't have been forced to side with the USSR. But his actiosn in overthrowing Batista were perfectly appropriate. The modern embargo on his people is wrong on so many levels.

Literacy in Cuba is just under 100% Much better schools under Castro than Batista. Kids get innoculated against diseases at 100% in Cuba. The Cuban exile community is mad cause they backed the wrong dictatorial horse. Batista was selling out his country for his own personal wealth at a staggering rate. Tourism dollars were coming in the front door in Cuba, got loaded up into bags and out the same door to NYC and Florida to the five families and jewish mobsters

Yeah, I always take off my car door and set off into the open ocean to get away from my heroes!

(For the edification of Onceler and BAC, this is sarcasm.)

Castro is a hero to the Cuban people .. no question about that truth.

lololololol.

This kind of trolling does not even warrant a valid response but I am giving one.

I disagree with your statement, and even if it were true then those same Cuban people would be Murderers-by-Proxy and therefore totally undeserving of any respect or decency.

lololololol.

This kind of trolling does not even warrant a valid response but I am giving one.

I disagree with your statement, and even if it were true then those same Cuban people would be Murderers-by-Proxy and therefore totally undeserving of any respect or decency.

You've demonstrated a failed understanding of Cuba or its history .. and one that hardly warrants a response .. but I like you, so I'm giving you one.

Catsro is popular among the Cuban people as Chavez is popular among his people. Should you and other Americans decide heros for Cubans or Venezuelans?

What murders are the Cuban people guilty of?

You're an American and we just mass-murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent people FOR PROFIT.

Are you a murderer or just a pirate?

I guess Batista was a democrat.

Yeah, I always take off my car door and set off into the open ocean to get away from my heroes!

(For the edification of Onceler and BAC, this is sarcasm.)
Really Really Really Funny sarcasm. I almost choked on my own spit when i read it you fucker.

I wanna give Fidel a blowjob.
Eww. and Eww. That is just a HORRIBLE picture in my head and I don't even know what you look like. But imagining you felate that scrawny bony skin hanging old man requires that I now go outside and kill a pig with my bare hands and wallow in its intrals to get that image out of my head.

Eww. and Eww. That is just a HORRIBLE picture in my head and I don't even know what you look like. But imagining you felate that scrawny bony skin hanging old man requires that I now go outside and kill a pig with my bare hands and wallow in its intrals to get that image out of my head.

I'm sorry, I don't experience disgust, so I have no meter with wich to judge the offensiveness of my posts by.

Anyone else have a lingering -- or grudging -- respect for Fidel? I do, I freely admit. This is NOT to say that his government is especially enlightened or that he's really built a worker's paradise in Cuba. It isn't and he hasn't. I do grant him a couple of points though.

One is that his regime is better than the Batista government was, at least for the majority of Cubans. That's on balance, of course, not on every single criterion. Many of the charges levelled at Castro -- especially the valid ones, about freedom of expression and the like -- could be made with just as much justice against the former regime.

Another is that he's one hell of a smart and feisty survivor. He's managed to keep his runty little nation afloat in a sea of much larger and more powerful predators. And he's done it while remaining an irritant.

Not to mention that he's been a big thorn in the side to one of our nations worst foreign policies (The Monroe Doctrine) and has been an icon and hero in latin america for the manner in which he has thumbed his nose to the great gringo power to the north.

Castro's government will die for the same reasons Batistas did. It's essentially corrupt and not economically viable over the long run, though I do agree on the balance Castro has been better ten Batista......that aint exactly saying a hell of a lot.

It will be interesting when Fidel dies and the Cuban government begins to reform, how the expats in Miami will react.

I'm reasonably sure that Cuba could reform it's government into a liberal constitutional democracy with a free market economy and the rule of law and the Cuban expat lobby in southern Florida will still keep the US embargo in place.

He's not Mao, Stalin or Hitler.

He's not the boogie man that he was made out to be.

He certainly severly limited political freedom and was repressive to regime opponents. But, the numbers don't lie: cubans, on balance, are better off than under the Batista regime - at least in terms of social services and education.

One does hope that after Fidel, they will evolve more political freedom, though.

Yup I tend to agree except for your last point. Just because they do things differently doesn't mean it's wrong. That's the holier than thou "we're number one and we're always right" line of thinking which isn't true. Cuba still has elections but they do things differently than here. Go to the cpusa.org website and listen to what they say about Fidel and one person even spent some time in Cuba.

Back