Fred Thompson Entering the Race...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
Fred Thompson will run, advisers say

By: Mike Allen
May 30, 2007 08:23 AM EST

Fred Dalton Thompson is planning to enter the presidential race over the Fourth of July holiday, announcing that week that he has already raised several million dollars and is being backed by insiders from the past three Republican administrations, Thompson advisers told The Politico.

Thompson, the "Law and Order" star and former U.S. senator from Tennessee, has been publicly coy, even as people close to him have been furiously preparing for a late entry into the wide-open contest. But the advisers said Thompson dropped all pretenses on Tuesday afternoon during a conference call with more than 100 potential donors, each of whom was urged to raise about $50,000.

Thompson's formal announcement is planned for Nashville. Organizers say the red pickup truck that was a hallmark of Thompson's first Senate race will begin showing up in Iowa and New Hampshire as an emblem of what they consider his folksy, populist appeal.

Link...

He isn't primarily an actor like Schwarzenegger. He is a former Senator from Tennesee and an accomplished lawyer. He is an actor because he got a start in that by playing himself in a film.

He isn't primarily an actor like Schwarzenegger. He is a former Senator from Tennesee and an accomplished lawyer. He is an actor because he got a start in that by playing himself in a film.

I think they were thinking Reagan more than Arnold. At least, that's what I was thinking.

Well Thompson has far more credentials than Arnold or Reagan did before they became governors. Thompson had a more of a political career than an acting one. He's the reverse of Ronnie and Arnold. Nothing wrong with being an actor anyway regardless I will not be voting for Thompson. He's pretty mainline Republican which is a negative in my book.

Well Thompson has far more credentials than Arnold or Reagan did before they became governors. Thompson had a more of a political career than an acting one. He's the reverse of Ronnie and Arnold. Nothing wrong with being an actor anyway regardless I will not be voting for Thompson. He's pretty mainline Republican which is a negative in my book.

I don't know much about him IHG.

I probably won't be voting for him either. ;)

I cannot bring myself to vote for any state or federal level republican until better balance in our government is attained.

He served as Senator during the 90s you can look up his voting record. Pretty standard republican voting record. Not too much out of the ordinary like McCain or Hagel at times.

Nevertheless I think that he is going to squash McCain, Giuliani and Romney. At least in the realm of the Republicans this guy doesn't have any liabilities. If you are a conservative why not vote for this guy?

I cannot bring myself to vote for any state or federal level republican until better balance in our government is attained.

Since you live in Kentucky I would say this is a wise choice. It's much less clear cut in the state I live.

IH8's got it about right, as far as I can see. He's very mainstream Republican, about as whitebread as they come.

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Fred_Thompson.htm

He's probably going to squish pretty much any other Republican in the primaries, at this point. He's more conservative than Julie and far less controversial than McCain or Mittens. As Damo will no doubt point out soon, it's still very early. Thompson may have baggage we know nothing about, or he may just put his foot in the wrong mouth somewhere. Still, he's pretty much the instant front runner.

Yep as long as he doesn't raise his hand when asked if he doesn't believe in evolution he's golden and even has a good shot at knocking out the dem nominee.

Bald, overweight, ugly men start out with about a five million vote deficit. IMO.

Easily overcome running against a woman or minority though.

Did you see Bill Maher's new rule on how Giuliani needs to bring back the combover? It was pretty funny. :)

I saw it ad it cracked me up.

He isnt the handsomest guy on the block but he is better looking than alot of the current R crop.

Hes going to shake things up I think which could be could.

He served as Senator during the 90s you can look up his voting record. Pretty standard republican voting record. Not too much out of the ordinary like McCain or Hagel at times.

Nevertheless I think that he is going to squash McCain, Giuliani and Romney. At least in the realm of the Republicans this guy doesn't have any liabilities. If you are a conservative why not vote for this guy?

Oh definitely, I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if he is the eventual nominee.

I said after the first and second R Debates that the Nominee wasn't on the stage. I think it'll be a Fred/Mitt ticket in the end.

I don't think so...

I said after the first and second R Debates that the Nominee wasn't on the stage. I think it'll be a Fred/Mitt ticket in the end.

Damo...albeit Fred is more of a real social as well as financial conservative...Reagan like I suppose...but adding Mitt...I don't think so again...way too much negatives about the Mormon religion in the news...Arizona/Utah/Nevada cult leader!...More likely than not McCain will emerge as leader...maybe Fred as VP...that would be okay...a balance of power ( ideals)...!

Last edited:
Back