Gabon and Uzbekistan now more civilized than the United States

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://www.afriquenligne.fr/news/daily-news/gabon-moves-against-death-penalty-200709158708/

Gabon moves against death penalty Convertir en PDF Version imprimable Suggérer par mail

Libreville, Gabon – The government of Gabon , after its weekly meeting on Friday, announced abolition of the death penalty, which has not been applied for over 20 years in the country, an official source told PANA.

The Gabonese Parliament is expected to ratify this decision in the next few days.

"Considering the fact that for over 20 years now, Gabon has renounced the effective application of the death penalty, the Council of ministers has decided to abolish this penalty in our country," said a statement of the ministerial council meeting issued Saturday.

It said the decision to abolish the death penalty was motivated by an "expressed request" from President Omar Bongo Ondimba.

"The minister of Justice was instructed to make all the necessary arrangements for the abolition of death penalty," the statement reiterated.

Gabon was expected, on the request of the French and Spanish governments and the European Union (EU) to "co-initiate a draft resolution on the abolition of the death penalty, to be presented by the EU at the 61st general assembly of the UN in September," the statement explained.

Libreville - 15/09/2007

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/good-news/uzbekistan-abolishes-death-penalty-20080111

Uzbekistan abolishes the death penalty
AI's action in Netherlands calling for disclosure of the burial site of Dmitry Chikunov, who was executed and buried in secret in Uzbekistan.

AI's action in Netherlands calling for disclosure of the burial site of Dmitry Chikunov, who was executed and buried in secret in Uzbekistan.

© Amnesty International

11 January 2008
The trend towards total abolition of the death penalty has continued with Uzbekistan becoming the latest country to put an end to executions.

From 1 January 2008, it becomes the 135th country in the world to abolish the death penalty in law or practice. Capital punishment has now been replaced with life or long-term imprisonment. Amnesty International welcomes this move towards ending this cruel and inhumane practice.

There is concern that, prior to the abolition of the death penalty, relatives of executed prisoners were not informed about the dates and places of their execution and burial.

Amnesty International urges the authorities of Uzbekistan to honour its commitment as a member of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) to “make available to the public information regarding the use of the death penalty”. They should ensure that the families of those executed receive full access to such information and be allowed to collect the executed prisoners’ personal effects.

Amnesty International calls on the few remaining territories in the former Soviet Union which retain the death penalty to fully abolish it, thus making the whole region a death penalty-free zone. The only remaining executioner in Europe is Belarus, where the last reported execution took place in December 2007.

well, to be fair and accurate, Uzbekistan is more civilized than Texas.

Us enlightened people in California, New York, and Vermont don't execute people. :) Or, we hardly ever do.

Us enlightened people in California, New York, and Vermont don't execute people. :) Or, we hardly ever do.

Doesn't California have like one hundred people on death row? I think it's below average per capita, but it's certainly not rare.

I just like to make threads every once and awhile announcing the newest countries to abolish the death penalty, bringing to light the ever shrinking minority of countries (mostly totalitarian dictatorships) we still share the practice with.

yeah, the death penalty still exists on paper here. But, I don't think more than a handful have been executed in the last two decades.

California has executed 16 people since 1976, and has 660 people on death row. You may have a very extended appeals process which basically amounts to life in prison, but still, it seems like people have recently gotten into a frenzy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_States

What's also noteworthy is that Oklohoma has a population less than Mississippi and has executed ten times as many people. It sits right next to Texas, BTW.

"America is the only country to have gone from barbarism to decadence without first going through the usual stages of civilization."
-Can't remember who said it

"America is the only country to have gone from barbarism to decadence without first going through the usual stages of civilization."
-Can't remember who said it

Just about every time you come out against the death penalty, I get confused for a few seconds, and then remembers "Oh wait, he's a catholic."

Well, I must say, the fact that so many liberals agree with me on it makes me lose sleep at night. On the Catholic front, my dad and many others support the death penalty. Of course, there are a lot of pro-abort Catholics, so it just goes to show...

Well, I must say, the fact that so many liberals agree with me on it makes me lose sleep at night. On the Catholic front, my dad and many others support the death penalty. Of course, there are a lot of pro-abort Catholics, so it just goes to show...

I, for instance, am a pro-death penalty, pro-choice Catholic.

As I recall NY brought back the death penalty with the Pataki Administration (Cuomo had vetoed it 13(?) times) and the State-wide murder rate went down by 40% or so. Welcome to real civilization.:pke:

As I recall NY brought back the death penalty with the Pataki Administration (Cuomo had vetoed it 13(?) times) and the State-wide murder rate went down by 40% or so. Welcome to real civilization.:pke:

This is idiotic. New York has not executed a single person since the death penalty 1986, has no and the "death penalty" currently on the books only deals with police slayings. So while technically they are retentionist in limited circumstances, in practice, they are not.

You may be confusing this with the nationwide decrease in crime that happened in the 90's regardless of area or sentencing policy. This was mostly due to economic factors and education that Clinton helped pursue, and the law and order folks mostly ignore (which is why the states in which those kinds of people dominate, like mine, quixoticly have such high crime rates and such harsh sentencing). Clinton was tough on the causes of crimes.

Anyway, Correlation /= causation, and this doesn't even correlate well.

Last edited:
.... Clinton was tough on the causes of crimes.

LOL He must have been pro-death penalty:

dpstatsyearly7wq.jpg

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/deterrence.htm

LOL He must have been pro-death penalty:

dpstatsyearly7wq.jpg

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/deterrence.htm

This is an idiotic graph.

For one thing, it compares a per capita statistic to a non per capita statistic - it's like comparing apples and oranges. It also includes all homicides, not just homicides punishable by death (1st degree murder), so involuntary manslaughters, which are much more common than murders, are also included. It's odd that the death penalty proved such an effective deterrent to manslaughter, since manslaughter isn't punishable by it. Also, since it says "homicide", it probably includes justified homicides also. It was clearly drawn by someone with an agenda.

And you failed to address my PWNing of you with New york - obviously because you were obviously wrong. Comparing the 1st degree murder rates of those states with the death penalty and without the death penalty, I'd come to the conclusion that the death penalty encourages murder.

Last edited:
Back