Gitmo Detainees to Get Welfare Checks!

Dennis Blair Press Conference 3/27/09

During his news conference, Blair also said the Obama administration is still wrestling with what to do with the remaining 240 detainees at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, which the president has ordered closed.

Some of the detainees, deemed non-threatening, may be released into the United States as free men, Blair confirmed.

That would happen when they can't be returned to their home countries, because the governments either won't take them or the U.S. fears they will be abused or tortured. That is the case with 17 Uighers (WEE'-gurz), Chinese Muslim separatists who were cleared for release from the jail long ago. The U.S. can't find a country willing to take them, and it will not turn them over to China.

Blair said the former prisoners would have get some sort of assistance to start their new lives in the United States.

"We can't put them out on the street," he said.

==========================================

Well this is just lovely! Our 401k's are tanking, we have no retirement left, our Social Security is gone, and we're headed toward $2 trillion deficits, but we're now going to issue welfare checks to former Gitmo detainees! ...So they can start their new lives in the US!

Tell me something pinheads... If we can't find a country that will take these people, how can we just release them in the US? How have we "deemed them non-threatening?" ...Is it the fact that they aren't on an airplane? Is it because they haven't specifically threatened to kill us all? Seems to me, 19 "foreign exchange students" living a fairly "non-threatening" life, were able to perpetrate the worst attack ever on American soil.

Has anyone really thought this Closing Gitmo thing through? Or is it just one of those Liberal Causes we have to get shoved down our throat, whether it's good for us or not?

I wouldn't worry too much about their welfare checks. Once they successfully sue the US government they will probably fail to qualify for state assistance at all.

Every cloud and all that...

It's pretty clear that Team Bush fucked up by incarcerating the Uighers in the first place. How would YOU suggest we unfuck that situation?

Dennis Blair Press Conference 3/27/09

During his news conference, Blair also said the Obama administration is still wrestling with what to do with the remaining 240 detainees at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, which the president has ordered closed.

Some of the detainees, deemed non-threatening, may be released into the United States as free men, Blair confirmed.

That would happen when they can't be returned to their home countries, because the governments either won't take them or the U.S. fears they will be abused or tortured. That is the case with 17 Uighers (WEE'-gurz), Chinese Muslim separatists who were cleared for release from the jail long ago. The U.S. can't find a country willing to take them, and it will not turn them over to China.

Blair said the former prisoners would have get some sort of assistance to start their new lives in the United States.

Well this is just lovely! Our 401k's are tanking, we have no retirement left, our Social Security is gone, and we're headed toward $2 trillion deficits, but we're now going to issue welfare checks to former Gitmo detainees! ...So they can start their new lives in the US!

Tell me something pinheads... If we can't find a country that will take these people, how can we just release them in the US? How have we "deemed them non-threatening?" ...Is it the fact that they aren't on an airplane? Is it because they haven't specifically threatened to kill us all? Seems to me, 19 "foreign exchange students" living a fairly "non-threatening" life, were able to perpetrate the worst attack ever on American soil.

Has anyone really thought this Closing Gitmo thing through? Or is it just one of those Liberal Causes we have to get shoved down our throat, whether it's good for us or not?

They were picked up WHILE training at a known terrorist training camp in Pakistan. Now, thanks to knee-jerk liberals they are to be relocated to DC. Great job "Team Liberal"

We took these Uighurs prisoner in Pakistan. They were never found guilty of anything. Now if we send them back to China they will be tortured and murdered.

So now, according to Dixie, we should just send them back saying "I know we held you for 8 years without charges, and when we release you they will kill you. Oops. You are muslim and we caught you in Pakistan".

We took these Uighurs prisoner in Pakistan. They were never found guilty of anything. Now if we send them back to China they will be tortured and murdered.

So now, according to Dixie, we should just send them back saying "I know we held you for 8 years without charges, and when we release you they will kill you. Oops. You are muslim and we caught you in Pakistan".

Okay, so let me get this straight... If our intelligence leads us to a terrorist training camp, and we apprehend the terrorists training there, and some of them happen to be Chinese Muslim separatists.... are we supposed to leave them there and let them continue training? Are we supposed to send them back to China then? What exactly was supposed to be done in this instance... I'm unclear on that.

We chose to take them to Gitmo, instead of ...oh, I don't know... killing them with a big MOAB bomb... or turning them back over to face reprisal from the Chinese government. Now, since we didn't kill them and we showed them compassion of US government protective custody for 8 years, 3-squares a day, warm place to sleep, far from the reaches of their enemies... now we must give them government assistance while they embark on their new American lives?

It's a real wonder someone hasn't completely eliminated liberals by now.

Okay, so let me get this straight... If our intelligence leads us to a terrorist training camp, and we apprehend the terrorists training there, and some of them happen to be Chinese Muslim separatists.... are we supposed to leave them there and let them continue training? Are we supposed to send them back to China then? What exactly was supposed to be done in this instance... I'm unclear on that.

Dixie, with this statement, you have made it clear that you have no idea what happened at all. You should really just stop talking, and at least attempt to educate yourself, before continuing. Or, preferably, just stop continuing.

That is all.

We chose to take them to Gitmo, instead of ...oh, I don't know... killing them with a big MOAB bomb... or turning them back over to face reprisal from the Chinese government. Now, since we didn't kill them and we showed them compassion of US government protective custody for 8 years, 3-squares a day, warm place to sleep, far from the reaches of their enemies... now we must give them government assistance while they embark on their new American lives?

It's a real wonder someone hasn't completely eliminated liberals by now.

So if they weren't doing anything we could try them for, we just held them for 8 years in the warm embrace of the US government?

lmao You make it sound like a vacation for them.

Theis entire thread is laughable.

So if they weren't doing anything we could try them for, we just held them for 8 years in the warm embrace of the US government?

lmao You make it sound like a vacation for them.

Theis entire thread is laughable.

To try them for? You mean as in, a US legal system court case? Is THIS the policy of soldiers in the field of battle nowadays? Do we have to read them their MARANDA rights too?

They were captured at a terrorist training camp... you know, where they train terrorists! I'm asking you, (for the second time now), what should we have done with them? A.) Let them continue training? B.) Return them to China? C.) Take them to Gitmo? D.) Line them up by a ditch and shoot them in the head? Or maybe you have another suggestion? The way I see it, taking them to Gitmo was the best option we had. But now that we did that, we are burdened with having to give them welfare and a place to live.

To try them for? You mean as in, a US legal system court case? Is THIS the policy of soldiers in the field of battle nowadays? Do we have to read them their MARANDA rights too?

They were captured at a terrorist training camp... you know, where they train terrorists! I'm asking you, (for the second time now), what should we have done with them? A.) Let them continue training? B.) Return them to China? C.) Take them to Gitmo? D.) Line them up by a ditch and shoot them in the head? Or maybe you have another suggestion? The way I see it, taking them to Gitmo was the best option we had. But now that we did that, we are burdened with having to give them welfare and a place to live.
Yes, we are always going to be burdened with the result of our choices.

If we did make the best choice of the options, or even if we didn't, it is our action that created the issue.

What is the best solution now? Should we maintain them in prison indefinitely? For what reason? Were they a "combatant" against the US? If not, what are we still holding them for?

What we SHOULD have done has no bearing on the situation now.

What we DID was to detain these people. Now the choice is do we continue to detain them? Or do we let them go? And if we let them go, do we put them where we KNOW they will be tortured and killed or do we give them some sort of a chance?

If the terrorist groups WANT to kill americans they are going to kill americans. We can make it marginally tougher for them, but we will not be able to prevent it.

If you are so worried about the potential for attacks that having these people on the loose is the difference between survival and death, you are blowing it all out of proportion.

The amount of the welfare checks is a drop in the bucket in terms of money.

What we SHOULD have done has no bearing on the situation now.

What we DID was to detain these people. Now the choice is do we continue to detain them? Or do we let them go? And if we let them go, do we put them where we KNOW they will be tortured and killed or do we give them some sort of a chance?

If the terrorist groups WANT to kill americans they are going to kill americans. We can make it marginally tougher for them, but we will not be able to prevent it.

If you are so worried about the potential for attacks that having these people on the loose is the difference between survival and death, you are blowing it all out of proportion.

The amount of the welfare checks is a drop in the bucket in terms of money.
I would consider it part of what we pay to fight the "war on terror". I hate "war on" crap.

Why not? Illegals get welfare.

Has anyone really thought this Closing Gitmo thing through? Or is it just one of those Liberal Causes we have to get shoved down our throat, whether it's good for us or not?[/quote]

Back