Government setting up ground work to ration cancer screening

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
Most women should wait until age 50 to get mammograms and then have one every two years, a government task force said yesterday in a major reversal that conflicts with the American Cancer Society's long-standing recommendation of annual screening starting at 40.

The new advice was sharply challenged by the cancer society.

"This is one screening test I recommend unequivocally, and would recommend to any woman 40 and over," the society's chief medical officer, Dr. Otis Brawley, said in a statement.

"There have been many, many studies that show the benefits of early screening," said Dr. Rita Freimanis, an associate professor of radiology at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center. Freimanis said she has not read the latest study.
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/nov/17/panels-advice-stirring-debate/

This is an issue that is going to backfire.

There have been far too many women saved from death by early diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer for this bullshit to be allowed.

It will kill the public option if they pursue it.

There have been far too many women saved from death by early diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer for this bullshit to be allowed.

It's insane. The US is rated #1 in treating breast cancer and I want it to stay that way.

It's insane. The US is rated #1 in treating breast cancer and I want it to stay that way.

I've known quite a few women who have gotten it in their 40's, and one of my best friends twice.

Of course, some here would say this is more of the old "some of my best friends are black" routine. :palm:

I've known quite a few women who have gotten it in their 40's, and one of my best friends twice.

Of course, some here would say this is more of the old "some of my best friends are black" routine. :palm:

....and I know women who have gotten it younger than 40. Men even get it, but it's not as common.

This has nothing to do with the public option and it's ALREADY been recommended.

BTW, there have been plenty of women saved from death by early diagnosis. There have also been many who've died due to the complications of having a mammogram. You have to balance these two; it's not like a mammogram is consequence free. If you had a mammogram every year your whole life it would DECREASE your average lifespan.

From article:

But a spokeswoman for America's Health Insurance Plans, an industry group, said that insurance coverage isn't likely to change because of the new guidelines. No changes are planned in Medicare, either, an official said.

Again, nothing to do with any healthcare bill being put out. If you want to endanger your health by getting mammograms before there's any concievable health benefit, then you are free to do so.

BTW, there have been plenty of women saved from death by early diagnosis. There have also been many who've died due to the complications of having a mammogram. You have to balance these two; it's not like a mammogram is consequence free. If you had a mammogram every year your whole life it would DECREASE your average lifespan.

Your lucky stupidity isn't fatal....

From article:

Again, nothing to do with any healthcare bill being put out. If you want to endanger your health by getting mammograms before there's any concievable health benefit, then you are free to do so.

The problem is that these recommendations are often used by insurance companies to determine which procedures they will cover 100% and which become elective and therefore they pay less.

Breast cancer is one of the top killers of women in this country. Delaying diagnosis is not the answer.

It sounds like "Government Task Forces" are already working to "save the nation's money" by limiting necessary health care... Imagine if the government were the provider of insurance, we'd already be refusing mammograms to women under 50.

It sounds like "Government Task Forces" are already working to "save the nation's money" by limiting necessary health care... Imagine if the government were the provider of insurance, we'd already be refusing mammograms to women under 50.

Totally. That's why Medicaid doesn't provide mammograms for women under 50. Right?

The problem is that these recommendations are often used by insurance companies to determine which procedures they will cover 100% and which become elective and therefore they pay less.

Breast cancer is one of the top killers of women in this country. Delaying diagnosis is not the answer.

Medical accidents are also one of the top killers of women in the country. You have to balance the benefit with the risk.

Back