Greetings Good Posters. Anybody up for Civl Discourse of Politics?

Hello everybody,

I want to thank the many of you who have accepted me as your friend, and who appreciate polite academic discussions.

You've made this Forum a cherished habit, and it's just fabulous to have this outlet and to see your comments.

During Social Distancing, this Forum represents more social contact than I'm getting elsewhere, so it is especially appreciated now.

I do try to make it a point to call people up, so I get to interface socially that way, but this is so easy, I do this more than calling people.

And it's great, thanks to you, and I appreciate it.

I commend you for practicing impeccable social etiquette and contributing to civil discourse.

Hello Geeko Sportivo,

Poli, you are a stand-up man who remains benevolent or civil no matter who or what attacks you personally.

I admire that.

But, sometimes, and this is one of them, you have to fight fire with fire.

Last night, Nancy Pelosi was on the "The Final Word" on MsNBC and said that DOnald Trump and his minions have Doggy Doo on the soles of their shoes. That was about the most eloquent way to tell the truth and not use profanity at the same time.

Me! I'm not afraid to tell it like it is in words that these Trumptards well understand.

If it smells like SHIT- and it Stinks like SHIT- and it looks like SHIT- IT IS SHIT!

And Donald Trump and his Trumptards are not just wearing SHIT on their Shoes- THEY ARE LITERALLY SWIMMING AND DROWNING IN SHIT!

Sorry, but someone has to tell the whole truth- and nothing but the truth! SO HELP ME GOD!

Well, however you wish to express yourself is of your concern. And agree with the sentiment of your post.

Hello Cypress,

I commend you for practicing impeccable social etiquette and contributing to civil discourse.

Thanks. I'm glad to contribute what I can to the Forum. I know that the Forum is what WE make it.

After all, a forum is nothing without the posters.

I have recently had to place a few newcomers on Ignore.

I won't be reading anything they have to post anymore, but I can just imagine them telling themselves that I did that because of a disagreement over a political issue, or in general. But here's the deal: People telling themselves something they wish to believe - does not make a false thing true.

I have perfectly cordial conversations with supporters of the president, and I disagree with them most of the time. In a polite way. The difference is that some people are able to understand and allow others to hold opposing views without attacking one another personally. Anybody who might be fooling them self over why I place people on Ignore - that's all that's going on. Self-fooling.

I have no doubt that this is not confined to one person. Plenty of people do this. The worst individual at self-delusion right now is president. It is only logical that these people talk, and share their views. They are entitled to their view. But saying false things does not make them true. Never did, never will. Even if it is more than one person telling one another something they wish to be true. Even THAT doesn't make it what they want it to be, if it is false.

And we need to vote that nonsense out through early Mail-In Voting by November 3rd!

I won't be reading anything they have to post anymore, but I can just imagine them telling themselves that I did that because of a disagreement over a political issue, or in general. But here's the deal: People telling themselves something they wish to believe - does not make a false thing true.

I have perfectly cordial conversations with supporters of the president, and I disagree with them most of the time. In a polite way. The difference is that some people are able to understand and allow others to hold opposing views without attacking one another personally. Anybody who might be fooling them self over why I place people on Ignore - that's all that's going on. Self-fooling.

I have no doubt that this is not confined to one person. Plenty of people do this. The worst individual at self-delusion right now is president. It is only logical that these people talk, and share their views. They are entitled to their view. But saying false things does not make them true. Never did, never will. Even if it is more than one person telling one another something they wish to be true. Even THAT doesn't make it what they want it to be, if it is false.

And we need to vote that nonsense out through early Mail-In Voting by November 3rd!

You cry like a damn baby who just shit itself. You have everyone who you disagree with on ignore. Your list has to be longer than Legion's ban list. Why don't you just go away?

Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions.

This is not about the civility of others, this is about your own desperation to sanitize your experience, which is not what you would do if you were open to learning.

I say what I think and I am constantly accused of "isms" due to the heterodoxy of my mind.... surely I will have the honor of being on your list of "them who must be avoided" soon.

There is little more pathetic than someone who has been Ignored - pretending to be in conversation with someone who refuses to talk to them.

Pathetic and sad. To think that such an individual is reduced to trolling to get attention. And then they don't even get it.

Talk about 'Not getting it!'

A word to the wise:

If you wish to be a part of a discussion, it is not a good idea to insult someone you would like a response from.

The only people who will continue to reply to you after you have unloaded verbal abuse on them are enablers in a dysfunctional relationship.

Most people want no part of that, which is why most people want no part of online forum discussions.

It takes a definite amount of fortitude to navigate a discussion forum in which there is little moderation.

That and a diligence with common sense values and the Ignore feature.

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
You cry like a damn baby who just shit itself. You have everyone who you disagree with on ignore. Your list has to be longer than Legion's ban list. Why don't you just go away?

You go to right-wing troll discussions and go after the leftists like they are the ones trolling. Maybe you should listen to yourself and not be so sensitive.

doggy doo on shoes, you think that's insightful?

you're an idiot.

I actually thought Nancy's use of the term Doggy-Doo was the most graceful way to say, that Trump and his Administration are going to leave a trail of shit wherever they go as long as they shall live!

If it smells like SHIT and looks like SHIT- It's SHIT!

And you are the idiot for eating the peanuts right out of Donald Trump's SHIT!

I actually thought Nancy's use of the term Doggy-Doo was the most graceful way to say, that Trump and his Administration are going to leave a trail of shit wherever they go as long as they shall live!

If it smells like SHIT and looks like SHIT- It's SHIT!

And you are the idiot for eating the peanuts right out of Donald Trump's SHIT!

trail of shit, also moronic analysis. moron. your moronic thought leader is well suited to your moronic nature.

It is to be expected that a Forum with very little moderation would attract anti-social types who have been thrown out of more orderly Forums, and are unable to get along with others in real life.

I would be pretty surprised if a polite individual arrives at a site like this and does NOT get attacked by trolls.

I not only saw it coming, I expected it, and created a plan to deal with it, which has worked very effectively. As far as I am concerned, it has all worked out well, just as outlined in my very first post. Even then, I knew better than to even try to talk directly with trolls. That is why my first post over two years ago wasn't addressed to them at all, but to the good people here of all political positions:

"Hello good people at JPP.

I come in peace to discuss the issues facing the USA. I offer manners and respect for you, and a promise that I will never tell you off, or be mean to you.

I respectfully ask for the same in return. Actually I require it. If you share my values this should represent a welcome diversion from the common immaturity seen here.

I am into civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Anyone who flames on me will be placed on my Ignore List. My rules are more strict than the site rules. My Ignore List is PERMANENT. I never take anyone off Ignore. If you like to call other posters names and you want to blame me, vent on me, etc, please identify yourself by flaming on me promptly so I can add you to my growing Permanent Ignore List.

Anyone can tell me off one time. If I accept that and do nothing I invite more of the same; I become the enabler for this type of unwarranted aggressive behavior. I am not going to do that. I know it is quite common around here, but I am not going to put up with it. I could. I simply choose not to. That's what an Ignore List is for. I feel like if I take part in that kind of tit for tat, that I lower myself to do that.

I fully expect to have a very large Ignore List quite rapidly. This is my strategy for having respectful conversations about our national issues. In order to enjoy what I seek, I must filter out ALL of the trash talk. I don't care what form it comes in. It can be accompanied by a very intelligent post, very articulate. That doesn't matter. If it includes being mean, saying mean things about me, I will add that poster to my Ignore List. I don't say mean things about other people, and I am not going to lower myself to those standards.

Many will not understand this. Some will think I will have nobody to talk to. They are wrong. There are good people with manners who are tired of the trash talking. Not as many as the trash talkers here, but that is not a problem. There is too much activity on this site to keep up with it all anyway. So I am going to build a nice little group of friends here who want to be polite, like they really care about one another. That's what I have in real life, and that is what I will have here. That means I am going to have to make some examples out of some people and show that I mean exactly what I said in my Signature. I refuse to be the target of such venting. Nothing personal at all. I simply choose to remain above that. You can do that too, you know. We all can. I choose to.

Also, it does not escape me that when people are unable to argue their positions solely on points of merit, and feel they must resort to putting down the opposition? When people act like that, it usually means they are not really confident enough in their own position to simply state how they feel and let it be. As if they don't think their own position is strong enough to stand on it's own merit. A position is actually more convincing if you stick to facts, and point out where other posts deviate from facts.

I know there are many on this planet who have a genuine love in their heart for fellow humans. I know they exist because I find examples of it constantly. Sadly, there are also some who are filled with rage and frustration. They are just looking for someone to direct it towards. When we enable one another to do that to us, we perpetuate the grief and hatred. I am not going to do that.

All we have to do is find that love in our hearts for humankind and look for it. It is out there. It is inside all of us. We are intelligent beings, but we are creatures of habit. We Americans have some bad habits. Lately one of them is being mean to others on the internet. Very similar to being mean, dangerous, and overly aggressive as drivers, something which has existed long before the internet, but something which has become worse over time. I have to chuckle when I think that some of our worst posters here post like some of our worst drivers drive, but it's sadly true.

Habits can be changed if you try hard enough. That is a very powerful lesson in life. Do your habits control you? Or do you control your habits... Any habit can be changed or established by simply consciously acting differently for a period of 2-3 weeks. After that time period, it becomes second nature. Then you don't have to think about it, it just comes naturally. It is your new habit. Very powerful for self-improvement.

If you are not proud of your habits, and there is a small part of you, a nagging feeling, that it is not right? Listen to that. You can change your habits. Let it begin with enjoying a mutually respectful and long lasting exchange of ideas with me. You never have to worry that I am going to tell you off. I don't do that. I argue on the basis of merit. If you can do that too I believe you will find your credibility will be very high.

Welcome to a new era at JPP. Let that begin with me, and with you. Thanks for listening; thanks for being kind. Be kind to yourself; be kind to others.

Let's have some fun learning, exchanging ideas, and finding out what makes the other side tick as we get better informed and better able to be responsible citizens!

:)"

Back