Gumbo

Bell peppers - 1
Banana peppers - 2
Green peppers - 2
Full Jalapeno - 4
Jalapeno peppers - 6

The hottest one that can kill you if you have a problem with heartburn.

This one is 2 million SHU.

https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-center/lifestyle/peppers-ranked-by-scoville-heat-units

Eat them at your own risk. I am not responsible for it.
I had a patient come into the ER that ate a habanero on a bet. its only 100,000 to 300,000 SU not extremely hot but hot enough to make you think you are dying. :laugh:

No gumbo but I do make a meaty Creole red beans and rice. I roast my meat instead of the traditional stew. It brings a depth of flavor you can't get from boiling. I even roast the meat for soup.

I boil a whole chicken then debone it save the broth and add 5 bunches of chopped green onions and one complete stalk of celery chopped. I make a roux in a cast iron skillet using 2 cups of flour using NO OIL. The roux is very important but its a bit of a pain to make properly. You need to make it a strong golden brown . The roux is then added to the broth and celery and onions and cooked chicken. Cook till celery is tender. Add Tony Chachere's Créole seasoning to taste then add Tony Chachere's File to taste (go slowly) After the Créole seasoning add salt to taste. Créole seasoning has salt so be careful. Serve over white rice with oyster crackers on the side.

Sounds good.
The trick to a good stock is to roast everything to bring out the natural sugars. This caramelization is an extra step but well worth it. I sometimes use a smoked ham hock but too much smokiness overpowers the sauce.

I make gumbo several times a year. I use canned tomatoes from my garden for the base and add okra from my garden as well, then whatever meat my boy wants. I’ve cubed up catfish, used shrimp or crawdads, sometimes rabbit and occasionally deer. Haven’t got any gators in my county in Oklahoma yet though there are some in the county to our south. I usually make it for parent/teacher conferences we have at school each quarter. Always serve it with “Slap Your Mama” available for those that like an extra kick. I have to keep it on the mild side for my wife.

I also like gumbo. Normally i use sausage the spicy kind they normally use shrimp or crab or both.the egg i might try.

Does anyone else here cook Gumbo?

I like to make a big batch up . Then I freeze in in serving sized container. Then when I'm too lazy to cook I load my rice cooker up . Takes about 30 minutes for the rice cooker. Meanwhile I get the gumbo ready. I always cook mine in the micro wave and my wife's in a sauce pan. Because she likes a couple of eggs cracked into her gumbo and boiled with the gumbo. My wife is sort of a vegetarian. She will eat chicken broth but not chicken flesh. She also eats some fish. I like chicken Gumbo so I make two batches one with vege chicken and one with real chicken when I cook chicken. The hardest part is cooking a good roux. The rest is simple. Gumbo freezes great.

So anyone here cook gumbo?

sure do I perfer sausage and shrimp or chicken and sausage

cruel......
gumby-melting.gif

I like to make a big batch up . Then I freeze in in serving sized container. Then when I'm too lazy to cook I load my rice cooker up . Takes about 30 minutes for the rice cooker. Meanwhile I get the gumbo ready. I always cook mine in the micro wave and my wife's in a sauce pan. Because she likes a couple of eggs cracked into her gumbo and boiled with the gumbo. My wife is sort of a vegetarian. She will eat chicken broth but not chicken flesh. She also eats some fish. I like chicken Gumbo so I make two batches one with vege chicken and one with real chicken when I cook chicken. The hardest part is cooking a good roux. The rest is simple. Gumbo freezes great.

So anyone here cook gumbo?

We make gumbo about once a month. The only variation from standard recipes is that we leave out the bell pepper (neither of us like it). I cook some okra separately, since my g/f doesn't like the texture or taste.

We use chicken, andouille sausage, crawfish, shrimp and sometimes fish. Delicious and freezes well. Making the roux is the trick.

We make gumbo about once a month. The only variation from standard recipes is that we leave out the bell pepper (neither of us like it). I cook some okra separately, since my g/f doesn't like the texture or taste.

We use chicken, andouille sausage, crawfish, shrimp and sometimes fish. Delicious and freezes well. Making the roux is the trick.

I never tried using fish what kind do you use and how much

Back