Gun modification

Going to revisit this thread. I don’t get to hunt with a modern rifle because of having to be out of town (visiting in laws) during that particular hunting season. My boy is 14 and hasn’t got to experience deer camp like I did when I was young. Oklahoma has a holiday doe hunt but it isn’t open in our part of the state. I decided this year to make the 5 hr drive north dragging the camper and hunt an area I know nothing about. We headed out early last Tuesday morning, found a good camping spot (not much competition with 9 degree nights predicted), and hunted for a couple of days.

20zu3x1.jpg

Now the terrain up north is nothing like my corner is SE OK. I rarely need to shoot more than 30 - 50 yards at a deer and there are few places where I hunt that afford a shot out to 100 yards. Where we were hunting on this trip was wide open country, for the most part.

drdpxt.jpg

The WWII 303 British that I modified (documented in this thread) was the gun I chose to take. I have developed whitetail loads that give less than 1inch groups at 100 yards and will group less than 3 inches at 250 yards. I was planning on that long range shot, you know. We had a great 4 day father-son camping trip. Hopefully one day my boy will look back on it with fond memories like I do when I remember events with my dad.

The only deer we saw....well, we jumped her out of a thicket and I shot her on the run at less than 20 yards. LOL...so much for that long range shot. At least I’m confident in this gun if/when I get to hunt the wide open country again. It was a great holiday trip.

2h3qtz8.jpg

That deer should feed you and your family, for some time; plus you have the trip to remember.

Going to revisit this thread. I don’t get to hunt with a modern rifle because of having to be out of town (visiting in laws) during that particular hunting season. My boy is 14 and hasn’t got to experience deer camp like I did when I was young. Oklahoma has a holiday doe hunt but it isn’t open in our part of the state. I decided this year to make the 5 hr drive north dragging the camper and hunt an area I know nothing about. We headed out early last Tuesday morning, found a good camping spot (not much competition with 9 degree nights predicted), and hunted for a couple of days.

20zu3x1.jpg

Now the terrain up north is nothing like my corner is SE OK. I rarely need to shoot more than 30 - 50 yards at a deer and there are few places where I hunt that afford a shot out to 100 yards. Where we were hunting on this trip was wide open country, for the most part.

drdpxt.jpg

The WWII 303 British that I modified (documented in this thread) was the gun I chose to take. I have developed whitetail loads that give less than 1inch groups at 100 yards and will group less than 3 inches at 250 yards. I was planning on that long range shot, you know. We had a great 4 day father-son camping trip. Hopefully one day my boy will look back on it with fond memories like I do when I remember events with my dad.

The only deer we saw....well, we jumped her out of a thicket and I shot her on the run at less than 20 yards. LOL...so much for that long range shot. At least I’m confident in this gun if/when I get to hunt the wide open country again. It was a great holiday trip.

2h3qtz8.jpg
hey! That deer looks a lot like great, great, great grand Uncle Ned the horse thief.

20zu3x1.jpg

drdpxt.jpg

2h3qtz8.jpg
Poor Bambi’s mom, but she’ll be good eating.

My next project is the JFK gun. A 6.5 Carcano Italian. So far I have $0 in the gun so I may actually splurge for a nice stock for this gun. My first chore is to have the bolt bent so that it doesn’t stick out at 90 degrees like so many of the old WWI and WWII guns.

I also have a 7.7 Arisaka ... a Japanese WWII rifle but I won’t be working with it as it is a late war gun and poorly made.

Last edited:

20zu3x1.jpg

drdpxt.jpg

2h3qtz8.jpg

Well done!! I didn't get to go deer hunting this year (too busy with other things). Congrats on testing the rifle. I always found the 303 British to be a solid and accurate caliber.

What history is he destroying? The Enfield rifle? There are millions of them out there. There are numerous examples in museums and in the hands of collectors all over the place.

Yeah, and now there is one less. Which means fewer and fewer will exist for future generations to have and learn from. Millions may have been made, but that doesn't mean they have survived. All the more so because America is one of the few places with a reasonable access to these things.

Yeah, and now there is one less. Which means fewer and fewer will exist for future generations to have and learn from. Millions may have been made, but that doesn't mean they have survived. All the more so because America is one of the few places with a reasonable access to these things.

Indeed there is one less. Millions are floating around gun shops and pawn shops. Plus, as I mentioned, there are plenty in museums.

If you want to buy one and preserve it, please do so. But it is people converting them to more practical use, and using them, that keep 303 British ammo on the shelves.

Back