Gun question

Bill T

Banned
I have a S&W Bodyguard .380 that came with two 6 round magazines. Recently I bought a 10 round mag from, I think, Pro-mag. The tenth round is EXTREMLY hard to put in the mag. I don't really want to send it back unless I have to. Does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix this problem?

28023378-1601149496813.jpg

I have a S&W Bodyguard .380 that came with two 6 round magazines. Recently I bought a 10 round mag from, I think, Pro-mag. The tenth round is EXTREMLY hard to put in the mag. I don't really want to send it back unless I have to. Does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix this problem?

View attachment 25764

Doc Dutch would be the one you ask.

View attachment 25764

It could be one of two problems: either the spring or the follower.

Sometimes the follower on a new magazine will have a bit of flashing left over from molding it. You can try shaving or even just lightly sanding the underside (the side the spring pushes on) to reduce it's size. Such magazines have excessive spring tension, making that last round a real pain to stuff.

If the problem is the spring, loading it will get easier over time as the spring deforms from loading. Leave the magazine fully loaded (even if you can get only nine shells in there). Time will help it.

If the spring is simply too stiff, you can try to disassemble the mag and file one end of the spring down, but that may weaken the spring after aging to not properly feed the last round in use.

If you can find a good gunsmith, he can better identify the problem for you. There is probably one near you.

Springs have a pressure difference during compression that is not linear. The more you compress it, the difficulty of compressing it more goes up by the square of the pressure required. On six round magazines, the length of the magazine and the spring is not much of a problem over 6 shells worth of travel. With larger magazine, such as 10 shell magazine, it gets tougher to load that last shell. The bigger the magazine, the more acute this problem becomes (for all linear magazines, such as used in semi-automatic pistols and most rifles). One of the problems is the compromise between keeping the spring strong enough to feed that last shell reliably during that short cycling of the gun, yet weak enough to make it possible to load the thing in the first place.

Some people use a speed loader for the size magazine they use. This makes it easier to compress that spring that far because the speed loader compresses the spring using full wrist pressure rather than just fingers. You might consider one of these as a work around. At least you are using .38 shells. Smaller shells are even harder to stuff into cranky magazines.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
It could be one of two problems: either the spring or the follower.

Sometimes the follower on a new magazine will have a bit of flashing left over from molding it. You can try shaving or even just lightly sanding the underside (the side the spring pushes on) to reduce it's size. Such magazines have excessive spring tension, making that last round a real pain to stuff.

If the problem is the spring, loading it will get easier over time as the spring deforms from loading. Leave the magazine fully loaded (even if you can get only nine shells in there). Time will help it.

If the spring is simply too stiff, you can try to disassemble the mag and file one end of the spring down, but that may weaken the spring after aging to not properly feed the last round in use.

If you can find a good gunsmith, he can better identify the problem for you. There is probably one near you.

Springs have a pressure difference during compression that is not linear. The more you compress it, the difficulty of compressing it more goes up by the square of the pressure required. On six round magazines, the length of the magazine and the spring is not much of a problem over 6 shells worth of travel. With larger magazine, such as 10 shell magazine, it gets tougher to load that last shell. The bigger the magazine, the more acute this problem becomes (for all linear magazines, such as used in semi-automatic pistols and most rifles). One of the problems is the compromise between keeping the spring strong enough to feed that last shell reliably during that short cycling of the gun, yet weak enough to make it possible to load the thing in the first place.

Some people use a speed loader for the size magazine they use. This makes it easier to compress that spring that far because the speed loader compresses the spring using full wrist pressure rather than just fingers. You might consider one of these as a work around. At least you are using .38 shells. Smaller shells are even harder to stuff into cranky magazines.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, I will check it out.

View attachment 25764

For what it's worth:

My 89 yr. old father was a NYC homicide detective for over 20 years....came up through the ranks from beat cop, retired in the late 1990's. He says that the six shot revolver (at whatever caliber you prefer) was his ONLY choice for a gun because (a) you could buy a speed loader(s) with appropriate cartridge belts. (b) revolvers have an extremely low misfire ratio (c) in his experience, a .38 Police Special or snub nose would kill you just as dead as any higher caliber automatic, if used properly.

He was issued a Glock before retiring. He didn't like it, said "trigger is far too light...I can see accidents waiting to happen!"

For what it's worth:

My 89 yr. old father was a NYC homicide detective for over 20 years....came up through the ranks from beat cop, retired in the late 1990's. He says that the six shot revolver (at whatever caliber you prefer) was his ONLY choice for a gun because (a) you could buy a speed loader(s) with appropriate cartridge belts. (b) revolvers have an extremely low misfire ratio (c) in his experience, a .38 Police Special or snub nose would kill you just as dead as any higher caliber automatic, if used properly.

He was issued a Glock before retiring. He didn't like it, said "trigger is far too light...I can see accidents waiting to happen!"

Thanks, but what does this have to with my OP?

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
For what it's worth:

Thanks, but what does this have to with my OP?

Just offering an alternative should you decide to buy a second hand gun.

I have several handguns. among then is a 16 shot 9mm. Of course a 6 shot .38 will kill just as dead but the difference is in firepower. 11 rounds vs 7. Makes a dif. So does 16 vs 6.

I appreciate the post on the two types of weapons. I much prefer revolvers when target shooting or hunting. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag that I have taken a few deer with. I used to squirrel hunt with a Hi Standard Double Nine 22. I had a police model S&W 357 that I carried for years in college and beyond. I’d load up 500 to 1000 rounds and go “blow” off some steam after taking my finals each semester. I bought the wife a light weight Taurus 5 shot 38 Special to carry in her purse. Less chance of jamming an less likely to be “accidentally” discharged. It conceals nicely in her purse.

But I do like my Ruger LC9s for my every day gun. It conceals nicely with whatever outfit I have to wear for the day (I don’t carry a purse ;)), is deadly accurate, and an extra mag is easily carried in my pocket. The gun has never jammed or misfired in the nearly 10 years I’ve owned it. I am very finicky about keeping it clean though. I prefer this gun or guns like the Glock 27 over revolvers for every day carrying as I am a concealed carry guy. I loathe open carry. These little semi autos conceal easily and still pack plenty of punch for self defense.

View attachment 25764

Put one in the chamber. 9 in the mag and 1 in the chamber = 10.

Besides, you don't want to weaken the spring.

View attachment 25764

Yes, take it down to a reputable gunsmith.

It may be a simple fix, but you may also have to just replace it with one that works as it should.

View attachment 25764

Yes, take it down to a reputable gunsmith.

It may be a simple fix, but you may also have to just replace it with one that works as it should.

Aftermarket accessories can sometimes have a flaw because it wasn't inspected or tested properly!

Here we have another clown who has clue about the reality of a gun fight. Notice, if you are capable, I never mentioned being able to hit anything.

Say what you will, but magazines count the one in the chamber. But if you want to weaken your spring enough to jam the 8th. or 9th. round, you wind up with an 7 or 8 shooter anyway. It's all you.

I appreciate the post on the two types of weapons. I much prefer revolvers when target shooting or hunting. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag that I have taken a few deer with. I used to squirrel hunt with a Hi Standard Double Nine 22. I had a police model S&W 357 that I carried for years in college and beyond. I’d load up 500 to 1000 rounds and go “blow” off some steam after taking my finals each semester. I bought the wife a light weight Taurus 5 shot 38 Special to carry in her purse. Less chance of jamming an less likely to be “accidentally” discharged. It conceals nicely in her purse.

But I do like my Ruger LC9s for my every day gun. It conceals nicely with whatever outfit I have to wear for the day (I don’t carry a purse ;)), is deadly accurate, and an extra mag is easily carried in my pocket. The gun has never jammed or misfired in the nearly 10 years I’ve owned it. I am very finicky about keeping it clean though. I prefer this gun or guns like the Glock 27 over revolvers for every day carrying as I am a concealed carry guy. I loathe open carry. These little semi autos conceal easily and still pack plenty of punch for self defense.

Whoa, I was just offering a practical choice for home defense. I'm not a gun enthusiast by any stretch, but I've got nothing against law abiding citizens owning a weapon for home protection. I do believe that concealed carry should be severely limited to folk who carry large sums of money or expensive items for their work, etc. I can't fault a woman in this day and age for ccw if she mostly travels alone, but a general ccw for the population bodes only more potential problems, IMHO.

Say what you will, but magazines count the one in the chamber. But if you want to weaken your spring enough to jam the 8th. or 9th. round, you wind up with an 7 or 8 shooter anyway. It's all you.

That's nonsense. All my guns have fully loaded mags plus one in the chamber. It's never hurt them. What does fatigue springs is the constant loading and unloading of the spring but it takes a long time.

That's nonsense. All my guns have fully loaded mags plus one in the chamber. It's never hurt them. What does fatigue springs is the constant loading and unloading of the spring but it takes a long time.

Say what you will. Like I said, it's all you.

Back