Hillary Rove tactic

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
080226_obama_dressed.jpg

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe accused the Clinton campaign Monday of "shameful offensive fear-mongering" by circulating a photo as an attempted smear.

Plouffe was reacting to a banner headline on the Drudge Report saying that aides to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) had e-mailed a photo calling attention to the African roots of Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

"The photo, taken in 2006, shows the Democrat front-runner dressed as a Somali Elder, during his visit to Wajir, a rural area in northeastern Kenya," the Drudge Report said. The photo created huge buzz in political circles and immediately became known as "the 'dressed' photo," reflecting the Drudge terminology.
See Also

Plouffe said in a statement: “On the very day that Senator Clinton is giving a speech about restoring respect for America in the world, her campaign has engaged in the most shameful, offensive fear-mongering we’ve seen from either party in this election. This is part of a disturbing pattern that led her county chairs to resign in Iowa, her campaign chairman to resign in New Hampshire, and it’s exactly the kind of divisive politics that turns away Americans of all parties and diminishes respect for America in the world," said Plouffe.

The Clinton campaign issued an official response to the growing tempest - but the statement from campaign manager Maggie Williams did not respond to the central question of whether staffers circulated the photo.

“Enough,” Williams said in the statement. “If Barack Obama's campaign wants to suggest that a photo of him wearing traditional Somali clothing is divisive, they should be ashamed. Hillary Clinton has worn the traditional clothing of countries she has visited and had those photos published widely.

“This is nothing more than an obvious and transparent attempt to distract from the serious issues confronting our country today and to attempt to create the very divisions they claim to decry. We will not be distracted.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8667.html

"“Enough,” Williams said in the statement. “If Barack Obama's campaign wants to suggest that a photo of him wearing traditional Somali clothing is divisive, they should be ashamed. Hillary Clinton has worn the traditional clothing of countries she has visited and had those photos published widely."

Uh-huh. No doubt that's why they tried to put it out there; because they were so proud of Obama for engaging in the traditional protocol for these kinds of visits.

How noble of them to want to point that out....

080226_obama_dressed.jpg

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe accused the Clinton campaign Monday of "shameful offensive fear-mongering" by circulating a photo as an attempted smear.

Plouffe was reacting to a banner headline on the Drudge Report saying that aides to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) had e-mailed a photo calling attention to the African roots of Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

"The photo, taken in 2006, shows the Democrat front-runner dressed as a Somali Elder, during his visit to Wajir, a rural area in northeastern Kenya," the Drudge Report said. The photo created huge buzz in political circles and immediately became known as "the 'dressed' photo," reflecting the Drudge terminology.
See Also

Plouffe said in a statement: “On the very day that Senator Clinton is giving a speech about restoring respect for America in the world, her campaign has engaged in the most shameful, offensive fear-mongering we’ve seen from either party in this election. This is part of a disturbing pattern that led her county chairs to resign in Iowa, her campaign chairman to resign in New Hampshire, and it’s exactly the kind of divisive politics that turns away Americans of all parties and diminishes respect for America in the world," said Plouffe.

The Clinton campaign issued an official response to the growing tempest - but the statement from campaign manager Maggie Williams did not respond to the central question of whether staffers circulated the photo.

“Enough,” Williams said in the statement. “If Barack Obama's campaign wants to suggest that a photo of him wearing traditional Somali clothing is divisive, they should be ashamed. Hillary Clinton has worn the traditional clothing of countries she has visited and had those photos published widely.

“This is nothing more than an obvious and transparent attempt to distract from the serious issues confronting our country today and to attempt to create the very divisions they claim to decry. We will not be distracted.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8667.html

Clowntoons strike again. The bolded is quite funny. Saw an article in the Post yesterday asking who gets stuck with the job of telling Hillary she is done. I would suggest that by the nature of her "messages" she already is quite aware of it.

at this point Hillary is forgoing any semblance of yesterday versus today continuity in her campaign.. its come down to headline grabbing with everything throw including the kitchen sink.

its 4th and long with time winding down in the 4th quarter for the Clinton campaign.

up to the people of Texas basically. dnt think hillary will be able to take it if she loses texas.

Local media says Obama and Bill will both be back here this week. I dont think Hill will be making another appearance. I think she believes she has it won...

Local media says Obama and Bill will both be back here this week. I dont think Hill will be making another appearance. I think she believes she has it won...

There is no way Hillary has TX won. I doubt she thinks that.

If anything, OH is an uphill struggle for Obama; TX is razor-thin right now.

Is there anything other than the word of Drudge that her campaign was behind this? I find it a little hard to believe that they would put this out. It's truly awful. I'd like to see confirmation of that before I started freaking out about it.

Is there anything other than the word of Drudge that her campaign was behind this? I find it a little hard to believe that they would put this out. It's truly awful. I'd like to see confirmation of that before I started freaking out about it.

The campaign put out a statement that was a complete non-denial. If they didn't do it they would have said they didn't do it.

The campaign put out a statement that was a complete non-denial. If they didn't do it they would have said they didn't do it.

Yeah I just saw that part now. I cannot imagine the thinking here. This is a Democratic primary. They don’t seem to know which base they’re trying to appeal to. Besides being vile, it’s just so stupid. I’m really surprised.

Clinton's are going nuclear.. basic complete disregard for the democrat party in their attempt to seize control of the white house.
Do you think their is any way she wont try to steal Florida and Michigan, steal pledged delegates from obama.. and steal this primary?

Clinton's are going nuclear.. basic complete disregard for the democrat party in their attempt to seize control of the white house.
Do you think their is any way she wont try to steal Florida and Michigan, steal pledged delegates from obama.. and steal this primary?

Yes, in fact I think Texas and Ohio are their last stand.

Maybe I will be wrong. But I don't see how they go if they lose those states, and I don't think the party allows it, if they have any way of stopping them they will.

If they win those states, this will all be moot. Clinton won't be acting this way. I wonder when Obama goes 'negative' will there be as much whining about it? We'll probably never know. Of course my predictions suck and I predicted an Obama win in both TX and OH.

that's a cool pic. It's cool to see a prominent american who is wordly, and sensitive to other cultures. It bodes well for america's future relations with the world, hopefully. Can you imagine Cheney wearing that ethnic garb? lol.

this all sounds to me like concern trolling. Is it possible some low level person on clinton's staff sent the pic. Maybe. It's Drudge, who knows? He's a serial liar. And I know from expericence, that you can get some whacked out people working on the staffs of campaigns....I have a hard time believing it was approved by Hillary or any of her professional staff management. But, who knows for sure.

If they win those states, this will all be moot. Clinton won't be acting this way. I wonder when Obama goes 'negative' will there be as much whining about it?

Well, I think Hillary is not going to win Ohio and Texas, and I think she’s going to be out…so what I was wondering is, should I take SF off of IA so that I might compile his faux outrage posts about what the Hillary campaign does from now until she finally leaves it, so that I might repost them when Obama is running in the general and ads are run against him that make most of us wonder if we’re seeing things, and SF claims that liberals are being “whiny” and engaging in “faux outrage”.

As to your question…no, because of several factors, still, this was over the line. I don’t know of one he’s crossed like this.

If they win those states, this will all be moot. Clinton won't be acting this way. I wonder when Obama goes 'negative' will there be as much whining about it? We'll probably never know. Of course my predictions suck and I predicted an Obama win in both TX and OH.

There is a difference between going 'negative,' and character assassination.

Obama has already, to an extent, "gone negative," in that he attacks Clinton's healthcare plan, her support of NAFTA, etc.

Circulating a picture of Obama in Somali garb to try to connect him to Islam goes a little beyond that....

Well, I think Hillary is not going to win Ohio and Texas, and I think she’s going to be out…so what I was wondering is, should I take SF off of IA so that I might compile his faux outrage posts about what the Hillary campaign does from now until she finally leaves it, so that I might repost them when Obama is running in the general and ads are run against him that make most of us wonder if we’re seeing things, and SF claims that liberals are being “whiny” and engaging in “faux outrage”.

As to your question…no, because of several factors, still, this was over the line. I don’t know of one he’s crossed like this.
Yeah, I predicted about 3 weeks ago now that Obama wins both TX and Ohio.

that's a cool pic. It's cool to see a prominent american who is wordly, and sensitive to other cultures. It bodes well for america's future relations with the world, hopefully. Can you imagine Cheney wearing that ethnic garb? lol.

this all sounds to me like concern trolling. Is it possible some low level person on clinton's staff sent the pic. Maybe. It's Drudge, who knows? He's a serial liar. And I know from expericence, that you can get some whacked out people working on the staffs of campaigns....I have a hard time believing it was approved by Hillary or any of her professional staff management. But, who knows for sure.

There are pictures of Bush wearing African garb as well. Does that cause you to cream in your pants?

Back