Hospital Attempts Deportation of Woman With Inadequate Insurance

Cypress

The woman has been here legally for 17 years, works, pays taxes. Her family and roots are here. Yeah, maybe she could have gotten off her ass and exercised more (aka, the superfreak national healthcare plan) and not been prone to medical problems. But, what's this crap about deporting her because she doesn't have enough money to pay for medical bills?

An immigrant woman from Honduras who has very recently awakened from a coma is being threatened with what can effectively be called deportation, because she does not have the insurance needed to cover her medical bills.

But here is the real kicker: while it would be repulsive and incredibly inhumane to deport an uninsured/under-insured person with a serious medical condition because of their undocumented status, despite the lack of adequate facilities for their care in their nations of citizenship, it isn’t even the case here. Sonia del Cid Iscoa has a current visa and in the U.S. legally.

A gravely ill woman at risk of being removed from the country for lack of adequate insurance coverage awoke from a coma Tuesday.

The hospital has been seeking to return her to her native Honduras; her family took the hospital to court.

snip

Iscoa, 34, has a valid visa and has lived in the United States for more than 17 years. She has no family in Honduras.. Iscoa has been in the country legally since 1998. She works in a carpentry shop and as a house cleaner.

But St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center sought to have her sent to Honduras when she went into a coma April 20 after giving birth to a daughter about 8 weeks premature. Iscoa has an amended version of Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System coverage that does not cover long-term care, Curtin said. But her family worried that the move would seriously harm her, or, at the very least, prevent her from ever returning to the United States.

Iscoa’s mother, Joaquina del Cid Plasecea, obtained a temporary restraining order to keep her from being moved. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Carey Hyatt also ordered that the family post a $20,000 bond by Tuesday to cover St. Joseph’s costs of postponing the transfer.

However, Curtin said that the hospital gave the family three more days to come up with the money before a hearing Friday.

If the family can prove that Iscoa would suffer irreparable injury by a move, the bond will be refunded and Iscoa will not be transferred. But if Hyatt determines that Iscoa is not in imminent danger by a move, the family will forfeit the bond.

A stipulation to a court order issued by Hyatt Tuesday evening said that the parties were “actively exploring alternative sources of securing payment for the medical bills of Sonia Iscoa.”

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archiv...-of-woman-with-inadequate-insurance/#comments

She shouldn't have come legally. They aren't even allowed to ask about that stuff if you are illegal.

She shouldn't have come legally. They aren't even allowed to ask about that stuff if you are illegal.

Damo, I don't know what anecdotal evidence you're talking about. But, I'm very familiar with long term care facilities, and I don't believe I've ever once seen or heard of an illegal immigrant recieving long term care in a nursing home or assisted living facility.

The woman has been here legally for 17 years, works, pays taxes. Her family and roots are here. Yeah, maybe she could have gotten off her ass and exercised more (aka, the superfreak national healthcare plan) and not been prone to medical problems. But, what's this crap about deporting her because she doesn't have enough money to pay for medical bills?

An immigrant woman from Honduras who has very recently awakened from a coma is being threatened with what can effectively be called deportation, because she does not have the insurance needed to cover her medical bills.

But here is the real kicker: while it would be repulsive and incredibly inhumane to deport an uninsured/under-insured person with a serious medical condition because of their undocumented status, despite the lack of adequate facilities for their care in their nations of citizenship, it isn’t even the case here. Sonia del Cid Iscoa has a current visa and in the U.S. legally.

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archiv...-of-woman-with-inadequate-insurance/#comments

What an awful story. I see Damo and his friend Dildoduck were laughing it up over this. I guess it's not quite as funny as hundreds of thousands of dead for a lie, which sent meme into convulsions of laughter yesterday, but it's still good for a giggle.

Yeah I am against undeclared war, but as long as qwe are there we might as well stay a while. I mean it would be rude to leave now.

What an awful story. I see Damo and his friend Dildoduck were laughing it up over this. I guess it's not quite as funny as hundreds of thousands of dead for a lie, which sent meme into convulsions of laughter yesterday, but it's still good for a giggle.

You dolt--we were pointing the sad fact that if she were illegal, she would have more rights than she does as a resident alien. NOT her situatuion.

QFT.

He is the world's champion at that.

Actually it's an attempt to get you to look at the big picture and add some perception to the situation. Grabbing some isolated piece of unfairness and going all emo over it is lame as hell but the sign of a true bleeding heart that rants over all the injustice. I bet you haven't sent a dime to help this woman out.

Geez. I'll let this thread stand for itself. Two people going all jerk-circle on an assumption of "evil" intent from me that they know is unrealistic. It's all good, I'm glad to know what you guys want to believe about me and how hard you'll work to convince yourselves regardless of evidence and personal knowledge.

You dolt--we were pointing the sad fact that if she were illegal, she would have more rights than she does as a resident alien. NOT her situatuion.

Not buying it. This sounds all too much like the mythology that xenophobic Minuteman militia groups like to propagate: the legend of the lucky-ducky illegal alien, who has more rights than the average american or legal resident.

Do you even realize what conditions most undocumented workers have to submit to? The reason business interests want them here (in part) is because laws and rights are typically NOT applied to them: minimum wage laws, labor laws, safety laws. If they were a victim of crime, or if their employer simply decided not to pay them, what is their recourse? They're not going to complain, or seek help from law enforcement. They are not living high on the hog, enjoying the good life, and they are not the recipients of generous and lavish treatment with respect to rights than legal citizens are.

Back