House bill would make health care a right

meme

Jul 15, 3:24 AM (ET)

By ERICA WERNER
WASHINGTON (AP) - House Democratic leaders, pledging to meet the president's goal of health care legislation before their August break, are offering a $1.5 trillion plan that for the first time would make health care a right and a responsibility for all Americans. Left to pick up most of the tab were medical providers, employers and the wealthy.

"We cannot allow this issue to be delayed. We cannot put it off again," Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce committee, said Tuesday. "We, quite frankly, cannot go home for a recess unless the House and the Senate both pass bills to reform and restructure our health care system."

In the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid said he wanted floor debate to begin a week from Monday. With the Senate Finance Committee still struggling to reach consensus, that timetable could slip. Even so, it underscored a renewed sense of urgency.

Obama himself was driving the action, going off-script to push the issue during a speech in Michigan and scheduling a Rose Garden news conference for Wednesday to make more comments on the topic.

"There's going to be a major debate over the next three weeks," Obama said in Warren, Mich., deviating from his prepared text on new spending for community colleges. "And don't be fooled by folks trying to scare you saying we can't change the health care system. We have no choice but to change the health care system because right now it's broken for too many Americans."

All involved were mindful of the dwindling days before Congress leaves town. Obama wants legislation through the House and Senate before then to slow rising costs and extend coverage to some 50 million uninsured Americans.

Under the House Democrats' plan, the federal government would be responsible for ensuring that every person, regardless of income or the state of their health, has access to an affordable insurance plan. Individuals and employers would have new obligations to get coverage, or face hefty penalties.
The legislation calls for a 5.4 percent tax increase on individuals making more than $1 million a year, with a gradual tax beginning at $280,000 for individuals. Employers who don't provide coverage would be hit with a penalty equal to 8 percent of workers' wages, with an exemption for small businesses. Individuals who decline an offer of affordable coverage would pay 2.5 percent of their incomes as a penalty, up to the average cost of a health insurance plan.

The liberal-leaning plan lacked figures on total costs, but a House Democratic aide said the total bill would add up to about $1.5 trillion over 10 years. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private calculations.

read it all...
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090715/D99EO8BO0.html

As Bush showed with the cost of the Iraq War and the drug benefit just like Topspin said take the cost a politician claims and triple it for the real number.
If we used the money that Bush wasted on Iraq we could pay for a national healthcare program and then we woudln't even be having this discussion, woudl we?

oh. my. god.

"Individuals who decline an offer of affordable coverage would pay 2.5 percent of their incomes as a penalty, up to the average cost of a health insurance plan."

This is the dumbest fucking idea i've seen yet out of the dems. do you not realize the damage this will do to lower income families?

this passes, dems are gone. guaranteed.

If we used the money that Bush wasted on Iraq we could pay for a national healthcare program and then we woudln't even be having this discussion, woudl we?

We have no idea what would have played out with Iraq or any subsequent actions otherwise to just assume money that was spent on Iraq would just be sitting there. Nor does it take away from Topspins or my point that the healthcare costs will probably be 3x what they proclaim today.

oh. my. god.

"Individuals who decline an offer of affordable coverage would pay 2.5 percent of their incomes as a penalty, up to the average cost of a health insurance plan."

This is the dumbest fucking idea i've seen yet out of the dems. do you not realize the damage this will do to lower income families?

this passes, dems are gone. guaranteed.

No, the dems won't be gone. In fact, this will help cement the power wielded by the dems. It will be put into effect and the public will have 3.5 years to forget who put it there.

By the time the fight gets started it will be over.

No, the dems won't be gone. In fact, this will help cement the power wielded by the dems. It will be put into effect and the public will have 3.5 years to forget who put it there.

By the time the fight gets started it will be over.

not a chance. that penalty alone will decimate democratic power because it will only punish those who still won't be able to afford that 'affordable' plan.

secondary to this is the number of jobs that will be shed by companies to lower the amount they have to pay for employee plans.

I think this gets killed by a combination of republicans and democrats afraid to go back home with the price tag.

1. millions of the 40mm always quoted don't fucking want to buy health insurance

We have no idea what would have played out with Iraq or any subsequent actions otherwise to just assume money that was spent on Iraq would just be sitting there. Nor does it take away from Topspins or my point that the healthcare costs will probably be 3x what they proclaim today.
Then what free market approach to this problem would you apply that actually works? Right now we have a broken system with run away costs that loses to many people between the cracks. Obviously the free market system alone is not working.

It pains me to say this...

but all you people who voted for this administration...deserve everything that is coming our way..

Then what free market approach to this problem would you apply that actually works? Right now we have a broken system with run away costs that loses to many people between the cracks. Obviously the free market system alone is not working.

The freemarket system has left 25% of our population without health insurance. But do we change what we have for 75% so that we can serve the 25%?

anyone who thinks that the health care insurance industry is a free market, should not have gone to college.

broken system hahah
we have the best healthcare money can buy in the world.
And it's free for the poor
Not broken at all
false outrage on the left BIGTIME

Free for the poor??

Where exactly is this wondrous land??
It's called the United States. You may have heard of it.

It isn't the poor that aren't covered, it's those between poor and middle middle class. The poor will get treatment, they also have funds available for government options.

I can't believe the neocons are so freaking stupid as to not challange the 40mm uncovered number.
Your going to see a shitload of pissed off 20 somethings if this shitpile passes which I don't think it will.

I can't believe the neocons are so freaking stupid as to not challange the 40mm uncovered number.
Your going to see a shitload of pissed off 20 somethings if this shitpile passes which I don't think it will.

so it's only up to the neocons to do something about this...it's the friggen Democrats who are pushing it...you all do something for a change, instead of just sitting around bitching..or this is just another thing you can blame on Republicans

so it's only up to the neocons to do something about this...it's the friggen Democrats who are pushing it...you all do something for a change, instead of just sitting around bitching..or this is just another thing you can blame on Republicans

watch and see, many democrats are conservative. This shit won't pass, it's Hillary care with a bow on it.

Back