How far can posative thinking take you?

If you run westward looking for a sunrise, no matter how positive you are, it won't happen.

sure it will, just run backwards heading west for a 24 hour period. I guarantee you... you will see the sunrise as you run west.

And there, Jarod, you have the difference between just thinking joy-joy thoughts, and positive thinking.

Positive thinking entails more than just "believing". It takes creating a plan, implementing the plan, and driving toward a positive conclusion at the same time as the "joy-joy thoughts".

The best method is to have both short term and long term goals mixed in to a master plan. Follow the goals adjust them if needed if crisis erupts (as i had to move my 1M to age 45 from 40) and stay positive thru out that you will complete the goals.
BSBA degree age 23
House ownership age 25
Masters degree age 30
first 100k net worth by age 30
500k net worth by age 40
First house paid in full age 45
1M net age 45
Retire from corp and buy business age 50
second home....
retire to part time...
10M...
etc

I think they gave the advice because they believe that juries can "see" whether you really believe. That if you go in thinking you are going to lose, then you will. Because your attitude itself will convince the jury or judge that you lost.

Of course, sometimes losing is the only option. They have a right to representation, but sometimes there is no way to win a case in the court. Of course, if such were the case I'd expect my lawyer to tell me so, not cost me tons of cash arguing a worthless case.

Its why I think the ACLU is a great service to this country. They take the cases they feel are important to preserve the rights of our citizens no matter how unseemly the actual defendent is to the current political tastes.

The system does not work without every person being represented to the best possible level. Like Damo said not all cases can be won. Ideally all cases are the best hearing of all the evidence so the best decision is made and someone always loses the case.

But is that not pretending the worst does not exist?

So when my father died, I should have focused on the fact that I would be saving 42 cents on christmas card postage every year?

You have to recognize the worst; to do otherwise would be, as you said, delusional. The difference between pessimism and optimism, though, is how you deal with these situations. Losing a parent is a life tragedy and you would do yourself a serious disservice not to mourn and feel the loss.

The good side, though, is to remember your father for all the good things that he was and to cherish the memories of your times together, and to carry those forward with you throughout your life. Through you he will live on. You know that I've been through this, too. It takes time, and the pain comes at you at the weirdest times, out of the blue, and you have to accept that. It does diminish over time, though, and begins to happen less frequently. The memories of him will persist and help to make you a better person too.

I think they gave the advice because they believe that juries can "see" whether you really believe. That if you go in thinking you are going to lose, then you will. Because your attitude itself will convince the jury or judge that you lost.

Of course, sometimes losing is the only option. They have a right to representation, but sometimes there is no way to win a case in the court. Of course, if such were the case I'd expect my lawyer to tell me so, not cost me tons of cash arguing a worthless case.

I have won plenty I believed I would never win.

You have to recognize the worst; to do otherwise would be, as you said, delusional. The difference between pessimism and optimism, though, is how you deal with these situations. Losing a parent is a life tragedy and you would do yourself a serious disservice not to mourn and feel the loss.

The good side, though, is to remember your father for all the good things that he was and to cherish the memories of your times together, and to carry those forward with you throughout your life. Through you he will live on. You know that I've been through this, too. It takes time, and the pain comes at you at the weirdest times, out of the blue, and you have to accept that. It does diminish over time, though, and begins to happen less frequently. The memories of him will persist and help to make you a better person too.

Thank you!

Back