How is OSU number one?

Except that Clemson started off the season #1, hasn't lost, and are currently #5.

But you know they will be in the top four in the end, all they got to do is take care of business while those in front of them play each other

In effect, you validated my point, if the same Clemson team had started out in the polls as say number twelve, even if undefeated they would never make the four team playoff, no team would

Do you think there will be any highly rated undefeated teams not in the top 4?

Perhaps, but only if they started out in the top seven or eight, hypothetically, if say a Boston College some how went undefeated, won the ACC, they wouldn't be in the top four at the end of the year because they didn't start out in the top twenty from the offset

But you know they will be in the top four in the end, all they got to do is take care of business while those in front of them play each other

In effect, you validated my point, if the same Clemson team had started out in the polls as say number twelve, even if undefeated they would never make the four team playoff, no team would

Except that there have never been four undefeated teams in the playoff. It's rare to have two. If you go undefeated during the regular season you will be in the Playoff regardless of where you are ranked pre-season (caveat: you are in a Power 5 conference). Additionally it's the Playoff rankings that came out last week that determine the playoffs. Pre-season rankings mean nothing to them.

Clemson dropped from #1 because even though they've been winning they haven't played particularly well. Teams move in the polls based on performance.

Except that there have never been four undefeated teams in the playoff. It's rare to have two. If you go undefeated during the regular season you will be in the Playoff regardless of where you are ranked pre-season (caveat: you are in a Power 5 conference). Additionally it's the Playoff rankings that came out last week that determine the playoffs. Pre-season rankings mean nothing to them.

Clemson dropped from #1 because even though they've been winning they haven't played particularly well. Teams move in the polls based on performance.

Don't think so, using the example I employed above, say a Boston College some how went undefeated, won the ACC, they wouldn't be in the top four at the end of the year because they didn't start out in the top twenty from the offset

Don't think so, using the example I employed above, say a Boston College some how went undefeated, won the ACC, they wouldn't be in the top four at the end of the year because they didn't start out in the top twenty from the offset

Can you offer an example of a Power 5 team that went undefeated and didn't make the playoff?

Ultimately only four teams make the Playoff. So in theory if there were 5 undefeated teams in a season one undefeated team would be left out. But there's no guarantee that would be the one ranked the lowest in the preseason.

The ACC is a Power 5 conference. This is not the same thing as UCF being ignored for being in too small of a conference.

Perhaps, but only if they started out in the top seven or eight, hypothetically, if say a Boston College some how went undefeated, won the ACC, they wouldn't be in the top four at the end of the year because they didn't start out in the top twenty from the offset

Why don't you deal in reality?

Baylor was unranked preseason. I'd bet anything that if they win out, they're in.

Back