How much do teachers make?

Jarod

Contributor
How much do teachers make in your area?

Around her, we have terrable public schools, teachers start in the mid 30's. I heard the other day that in Ohio and Illinois they start in the 90's.

Is that true?

How much do teachers make in your area?

Around her, we have terrable public schools, teachers start in the mid 30's. I heard the other day that in Ohio and Illinois they start in the 90's.

Is that true?

I seriously doubt that teachers start anywhere in the 90's.

I remember when I first started (1988). My salary was around $19,000 and my first paycheck (bring home) was around $900.

Here starting salary is about £20,000 and can rise to around £55,000.

Head teachers can be earning around the £100,000 mark.

average CO teachers wage is $43,949.
This includes the many teachers that simply don't stick. "Average" is not a good measure in such a case.

The reality is teachers wages are weighted toward the end rather than the beginning of their careers, and their retirement benefits are some of the best out there.

One of my friends has a wife who teaches. She makes more than both of us, we work together.

This includes the many teachers that simply don't stick. "Average" is not a good measure in such a case.

The reality is teachers wages are weighted toward the end rather than the beginning of their careers, and their retirement benefits are some of the best out there.

One of my friends has a wife who teaches. She makes more than both of us, we work together.
Oops. Words mean things...

I should have said, "more than either of us".

Not enough.

If you want to improve education, I think that's where it has to start....

I tend to agree to an extent. A few years ago I would have disagreed. In the areas of Math and Science (my areas) potential teacher are being carted off left and right to jobs with higher paying salaries and if not that to states that pay higher teacher salaries. If it were not for my roots here in my community and my school I could have been gone long ago. I get offers every Summer for jobs that would increase my income by quite a large margin. I can see how someone who didn't care where they lived would be compelled to follow the money.

the question is why don't they stick after putting that time into an education to teach ?

Thanx. I could live there if I chose the area carefully. Wouldn't want to be too close to Louisville from what I can tell but there are areas of the state that are quite nice for a country boy.

Back