How the Jews Invented God, and Made Him Great

I'm not aware of any denomination that rejects serious study......that does not have to include someone who believes that Ashera was the wife of the God of Abraham.......sorry....

as for Sinai.....it was a wilderness then and still is.....Egypt could have "ruled" it.....that doesn't mean they gave a moment's attention to it.......

Egypt had fortresses in Canaan.. See "When Egypt Ruled Canaan"...

yet made no mention of it in the Torah?......would these be the non-Jewish Jews or what?....or are you referring to Jews of the 20th Century?.....

No.. I am talking about the old testament.. All the cites are there in the links I have given you.

Jewish women worshiped Asherah re: fertility and childbirth.. and thousands of small statues and icons have been excavated in Jerusalem.

See Queen of Heaven and Asherah Pole.

No.. I am talking about the old testament.. All the cites are there in the links I have given you.

Jewish women worshiped Asherah re: fertility and childbirth.. and thousands of small statues and icons have been excavated in Jerusalem.

See Queen of Heaven and Asherah Pole.

look.....Asherah is not mentioned in the Torah or anywhere else in the OT as the wife of God........"all the cities are there in the links".......we aren't talking about cities.....we are talking about your documentation for the claim Asherah is the wife of God "according to the Jews".......do you have something to back up your idiotic claim or not?......

look.....Asherah is not mentioned in the Torah or anywhere else in the OT as the wife of God........"all the cities are there in the links".......we aren't talking about cities.....we are talking about your documentation for the claim Asherah is the wife of God "according to the Jews".......do you have something to back up your idiotic claim or not?......

When Egypt Ruled Canaan.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?95172-When-Egypt-Ruled-Canaan

What Are Clay Female Figurines Doing in Judah during the Biblical ...

https://thetorah.com/what-are-clay-female-figurines-doing-in-judah-during-the-biblica...

Aug 16, 2016 - Jerusalem, Beer-Sheva, Tel Erani (8th-6th BCE). ... The figurines are almost always found broken and discovered in secondary ... they might have been used: Are they depictions of a female deity such as Astarte or Asherah?

Archaeologists discover: God's wife? - Archaeology - Haaretz.com

https://www.haaretz.com › Archaeology

Sep 15, 2013 - “You shall not plant any tree as an Asherah beside the altar of the Lord .... The fact is that Judahite pillar figurines were found in two Jerusalem ...
The Asherah in Ancient Israel: Goddess o

Goddess Figurine from Megiddo · Jerusalem: Fall of a City—Rise of a ...

jerusalem.nottingham.ac.uk/items/show/88

This figurine of a goddess was excavated from a house at Megiddo which ... Candidates for this figurine include Athirat, Anat, Astarte, Qudshu, Ishtar and Asherah. ... In this collection you will find examples of this religious diversity in Israel and ...

In 1968, I discovered an inscription in a cemetery west of Hebron, in the hill country, at the site of Khirbet el-Qí´m, a Hebrew inscription of the 8th century B.C.E. It gives the name of the deceased, and it says "blessed may he be by Yahweh"—that's good biblical Hebrew—but it says "by Yahweh and his Asherah."

Asherah is the name of the old Canaanite Mother Goddess, the consort of El, the principal deity of the Canaanite pantheon. So why is a Hebrew inscription mentioning Yahweh in connection with the Canaanite Mother Goddess? Well, in popular religion they were a pair.

Dever says he nearly had a heart attack when he first read the inscription on this slab. It links the Israelite God, Yahweh, to the Canaanite Mother Goddess, Asherah.

The Israelite prophets and reformers denounce the Mother Goddess and all the other gods and goddesses of Canaan. But I think Asherah was widely venerated in ancient Israel. If you look at Second Kings 23, which describes the reforms of King Josiah in the late 7th century, he talks about purging the Temple of all the cult paraphernalia of Asherah. So the so-called folk religion even penetrated the Temple in Jerusalem.

Is there other evidence linking Asherah to Yahweh?

In the 1970s, Israeli archeologists digging in Kuntillet Ajrud in the Sinai found a little desert fort of the same period, and lo and behold, we have "Yahweh and Asherah" all over the place in the Hebrew inscriptions.

Are there any images of Asherah?

For a hundred years now we have known of little terracotta female figurines. They show a nude female; the sexual organs are not represented but the breasts are. They are found in tombs, they are found in households, they are found everywhere. There are thousands of them. They date all the way from the 10th century to the early 6th century.

They have long been connected with one goddess or another, but many scholars are still hesitant to come to a conclusion. I think they are representations of Asherah, so I call them Asherah figurines.

There aren't such representations of Yahweh, are there?

No. Now, why is it that you could model the female deity but not the male deity? Well, I think the First and Second Commandments by now were taken pretty seriously. You just don't portray Yahweh, the male deity, but the Mother Goddess is okay. But his consort is probably a lesser deity.

We found molds for making Asherah figurines, mass-producing them, in village shrines. So probably almost everybody had one of these figurines, and they surely have something to do with fertility. They were no doubt used to pray for conceiving a child and bearing the child safely and nursing it.

It's interesting to me that the Israelite and Judean ones are rather more modest than the Canaanite ones, which are right in your face. The Israelite and Judean ones mostly show a nursing mother.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/archeology-hebrew-bible.html

the existence of idols in the Middle East isn't proof that the Jewish religion worshiped them.......Israel and Judah both went into captivity for worshiping idols.....the Jewish religion CONDEMNED idolatry......

Back