Hunger in America

Cancel7

Banned
And, the food banks are often empty. Something to think about if you have some extra money. Local food banks are a good place to put it. The worst is yet to come.

WASHINGTON -- New government figures show that almost 700,000 children went hungry in the United States at some point in 2007, up more than 50 percent from the year before to mark the highest point since 1998. And that's even before this year's sharp economic downtown, the Agriculture Department reported Monday.

The department's annual report on food security showed that during 2007 the number of children who suffered a substantial disruption in the amount of food they typically eat was more than double the 430,000 in 2006 and the largest figure since 716,000 in 1998.

Overall, the 36.2 million adults and children who struggled with hunger during the year was up slightly from 35.5 million in 2006. That was 12.2 percent of Americans who didn't have the money or assistance to get enough food to maintain active, healthy lives.

Almost a third of those, 11.9 million adults and children, went hungry at some point. That figure has grown by more than 40 percent since 2000. The government says these people suffered a substantial disruption in their food supply at some point and classifies them as having "very low food security." Until the government rewrote its definitions two years ago, this group was described as having "food insecurity with hunger."

The findings should increase pressure to meet President-elect Barack Obama's campaign pledge to expand food aid and end childhood hunger by 2015, said James Weill, president of the Food Research and Action Center, an anti-hunger group.

He predicted the 2008 numbers will show even more hunger because of the sharp economic downturn this year.

"There's every reason to think the increases in the number of hungry people will be very, very large based on the increased demand we're seeing this year at food stamp agencies, emergency kitchens, Women, Infants and Children clinics, really across the entire social service support structure," said James Weill, president of the Food Research and Action Center, an anti-hunger group.

Weill said the figures show that economic growth during the first seven years of the Bush administration didn't reach the poorest and hungriest people. "The people in the deepest poverty are suffering the most," Weill said.

The number of adults and children with "low food security" -- those who avoided substantial food disruptions but still struggled to eat -- fell slightly since 2000, from 24.7 million to 24.3 million. The government said these people have several ways of coping - eating less varied diets, obtaining food from emergency kitchens or community food charities, or participating in federal aid programs like food stamps, the school lunch program or the Women, Infants and Children program.

Among other findings:

The families with the highest rates of food insecurity were headed by single mothers (30.2 percent), black households (22.2 percent), Hispanic households (20.1 percent), and households with incomes below the official poverty line (37.7 percent).

States with families reporting the highest prevalence of food insecurity during 2005-2007 were Mississippi (17.4 percent), New Mexico (15 percent), Texas (14.8 percent) and Arkansas (14.4 percent).

The highest growth in food insecurity over the last 9 years came in Alaska and Iowa, both of which saw a 3.7 percent increase in families who struggled to eat adequately or had substantial food disruptions.

Ninety-three percent reported eating less than they felt they should because there was not enough money for food.

Sixty-five percent of respondents reported that they had been hungry but did not eat because they could not afford enough food.

Forty-five percent of respondents reported having lost weight because they did not have enough money for food.
http://www.newsnet5.com/health/18000875/detail.html

Good for you US.

Thanks for posting this Darla. Its an unbelievable human insult to allow children or anyone to go without food in a country where so many have so much.

Imagine looking at the grocery store on your block and knowing you cant eat today. Think of what that does to a child.

There is so much waste in the cities near me. I hope every city employee feels the pinch of possible layoff like we all are. If my company had as much waste as the city of Boston we would have been bankrupt 1000 times over.

Eliminate that waste and there is tons of money to help the poor.

I give out more food than the local church....

Maybe I can become tax exempt ?
Well, you could if you became a non-profit corporation. It takes a ton of paperwork to prove what you are spending your money on, and why you get to keep your exempt status though.

Well, you could if you became a non-profit corporation. It takes a ton of paperwork to prove what you are spending your money on, and why you get to keep your exempt status though.

Yeah one reason why I don't pursue it.
Easy for a church to get it though.
I used to be The chairman of the trustees at the local church.

That's great usc. I donate monthly to LI Cares, which feeds the poor, or "food insecure" (hungry) out here. But the need is becoming too great, it's not enough. I am trying to get something going with one of the business associations i belong to, and everyone seemed very open to it. Of course, it will still only be a ripple in a ocean, but, if everyone gave some thought to this, it could help. No matter where you live, the food pantries need stocking.

Good for you US.

Thanks for posting this Darla. Its an unbelievable human insult to allow children or anyone to go without food in a country where so many have so much.

Imagine looking at the grocery store on your block and knowing you cant eat today. Think of what that does to a child.

No, it is heart-breaking. If we as a society didn't spend so much fucking money, and encouraged by the "Christians!" on bombs to kill other people's children, we might be able to feed our own. Imagine.

I keep my pantry pretty full and that is where I give the food from Darla. I probably gave out about $200 worth of food last month and picked up some milk and such at the store for them too.

But darn it I messed up and lost a week. Last week I thought Thanksgiving was this week. I have to work 5 more days...Ohh the agony...

No, it is heart-breaking. If we as a society didn't spend so much fucking money, and encouraged by the "Christians!" on bombs to kill other people's children, we might be able to feed our own. Imagine.

The sad fact is WE CAN feed our own. Its a choice.

I really wish Americans would make this choice and quit talking about the bullshit of "giving a man a fish" crap. Like I have always said sometimes a person needs you to give him a fish so they can live long enough to learn how to fish.

But darn it I messed up and lost a week. Last week I thought Thanksgiving was this week. I have to work 5 more days...Ohh the agony...

Yep uscitizen, I have the rest of today and until Friday noon......then I'm off to Kentucky for a week. Spending Thanksgiving with the in-laws.

As to the hungry, in our community there is a Thanksgiving meal provided at thanksgiving. While I won't be here I have already made a food donation for that. There is a particular family I know having a tough go of it. I routinely give them groceries (it is my policy never to give money) and gave them an extra deer I had killed last week, processed and packaged. I had given them an old freezer last summer. Gun season will be open the next two weeks and when we get back from Kentucky I'll try to get another deer for another family that I know is needing.

Darla and Desh are right; it is a shame that in a country where so many have so much that there are those going hungry. Absolutley pitiful.

lol. I resigned from my position at the non-profit. I did some thinking since I broke my shoulder, and I realized I was only working there at this point for the medical benefits. I checked into what COBRA would cost, and it was still more cost effective for me to leave. My business is my livelihood now, and I have some great ideas I want to implement, but working full time, couldn't.

I can't tell you how happy I am since I made this decision. Do you know what my day was like yesterday? I went to meet with a client for two and a half hours in his office, early in the morning...and made approx a week's salary. I then wandered into my favorite independent book store, and had some coffee while reading the New York Review of books, and scouring the remainder table where I got a fabulous hardcover of Toni Morrison's "LOving" for 5.98. I then realized I was near my friend's house, this is my one friend who doesn't work, Sue, and I rang her up, and we ended up having a two hour lunch complete with margaritas.

This is the life. It's why I'm here less. Like right now, I have to go write my weekly email blast, and a press release for a client. Then I might nap. LOL. I swear to God. After years of wanting to do this, I made it. Next step would be hiring others, but with the economy, that could be a couple of years off. On the other hand - I have some really great marketing ideas, so maybe not.

Anyway, with all of that, I wanted to pick one issue I would give my time to. So raising money for food pantries is it.

Yep uscitizen, I have the rest of today and until Friday noon......then I'm off to Kentucky for a week. Spending Thanksgiving with the in-laws.

As to the hungry, in our community there is a Thanksgiving meal provided at thanksgiving. While I won't be here I have already made a food donation for that. There is a particular family I know having a tough go of it. I routinely give them groceries (it is my policy never to give money) and gave them an extra deer I had killed last week, processed and packaged. I had given them an old freezer last summer. Gun season will be open the next two weeks and when we get back from Kentucky I'll try to get another deer for another family that I know is needing.

Darla and Desh are right; it is a shame that in a country where so many have so much that there are those going hungry. Absolutley pitiful.

Good for you. As I have said you are a good Republican.

Yeah I have never given them money either. I have called the drugstore and paid for a few priscriptions for a few though.

I am just glad that so many are already aware. Business needs to become more involved. Here is a surprise - since I have been in some pretty big business associations, I have been pleasantly surprised to find out that many business owners and ceo's do want to reach out to their surrounding community. There is a lot of charity and environmental work going on. One of the big things that one association I belong to is working on, is "gogreen" a big push for LI businesses to go green. So when I brought up LI Cares, there was a very positive reaction to it. You know what, it's good PR too, but it really seemed that people just wanted to do it. It was nice.

It is a damn shame that people are going hungry in the US.

But the private contributions always drop when the economy takes a downturn. People have less "extra" money to donate.

We are coming up on the time of year when more will be donated, but afterthe new year, the contributions drop steadily.

We contribute monthly to a local food bank. I have noidea what they have on their shelves, I'll ask my wife.

lol. I resigned from my position at the non-profit. I did some thinking since I broke my shoulder, and I realized I was only working there at this point for the medical benefits. I checked into what COBRA would cost, and it was still more cost effective for me to leave. My business is my livelihood now, and I have some great ideas I want to implement, but working full time, couldn't.

I can't tell you how happy I am since I made this decision. Do you know what my day was like yesterday? I went to meet with a client for two and a half hours in his office, early in the morning...and made approx a week's salary. I then wandered into my favorite independent book store, and had some coffee while reading the New York Review of books, and scouring the remainder table where I got a fabulous hardcover of Toni Morrison's "LOving" for 5.98. I then realized I was near my friend's house, this is my one friend who doesn't work, Sue, and I rang her up, and we ended up having a two hour lunch complete with margaritas.

This is the life. It's why I'm here less. Like right now, I have to go write my weekly email blast, and a press release for a client. Then I might nap. LOL. I swear to God. After years of wanting to do this, I made it. Next step would be hiring others, but with the economy, that could be a couple of years off. On the other hand - I have some really great marketing ideas, so maybe not.

Anyway, with all of that, I wanted to pick one issue I would give my time to. So raising money for food pantries is it.

Yepper, I am looking forward to a true flex schedule. I will still have my little farm and my business to keep me plenty busy.

I have my insurance thru my business.
And since it is a SB group type of policy they did not give me any hassle about pre-existing conditions.

My first wife worked for a KFC in Albuquerque. The local shelter would come in and get food on sundays, because after a certain time, the chicken has to be thrown out. WHen the franchise holder found out his employees were giving food away that would have otherwise been thrown away, he made them throw the chicken in Five gallon buckets of bleach and water before throwing it out in the dumpster. Anyone caught giving away food to be thrown out would be fired. Real compassionate guy.

Good for you. As I have said you are a good Republican.

Yeah I have never given them money either. I have called the drugstore and paid for a few priscriptions for a few though.

I did that same thing last year for a couple of kids I found out about at school. There was no way I was going to trust the kids' parents to use the money for the medicine the kids needed so I went to their house, got the perscription and went to the pharmacy and paid for it. You know, uscitizen, there are so many areas where folks can come together to help others. I have found that most who would help don't want to take the time to help. We are such a busy society anymore, even here in the sticks that people feel that they don't have the time. More need to make the time, IMO.

Back