I wonder...

That's pretty interesting, thanks! It's an article written for the general public, and I have some questions that the authors of the studies probably could answer easily. I'd like to follow this up; will do some searching on PubMed on the anaphylactic steroids and insulin for starters.

The major confounding variable (though there are others) is the effect of diabetes on vascular function. The second major confound is the fact that Type II diabetics, those who are the focus of this study, are insulin-resistant, as opposed to Type I patients who don't produce enough insulin but who respond to it when it is present.

Interesting stuff; you've given me something new to play with. :p

Here is a study on Testosterone and its effect on insulin in men:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/565800?src=rss

And an article that speaks to insulin and brain function:

http://www.life-enhancement.com/article_template.asp?ID=669

As testosterone levels drop, the efficacy of insulin drops creating men who are IHH, some of the different changes they go through would be memory loss, and a reduced brain functionality as well as body fat and type II diabetes.

Cool Damo and thanks that is a good thing to know esp as I grow older.

But about about testosterone levels in women, which was what this thread was about.

That's pretty interesting, thanks! It's an article written for the general public, and I have some questions that the authors of the studies probably could answer easily. I'd like to follow this up; will do some searching on PubMed on the anaphylactic steroids and insulin for starters.

The major confounding variable (though there are others) is the effect of diabetes on vascular function. The second major confound is the fact that Type II diabetics, those who are the focus of this study, are insulin-resistant, as opposed to Type I patients who don't produce enough insulin but who respond to it when it is present.

Interesting stuff; you've given me something new to play with. :p
Yeah, I was fascinated by it. It does make some sense though, exercise increases testosterone, which in turn can resolve type II diabetes (not every time). However, the hormone replacement can often work as well. It's very cool how it all works together.

Cool Damo and thanks that is a good thing to know esp as I grow older.

But about about testosterone levels in women, which was what this thread was about.
But that wasn't what you asked. You asked if testosterone made the man. Indeed it does.

:D

As for women:

http://websites.afar.org/site/PageServer?pagename=IA_Advocacy_Clin_Insulin

The jury is still out. They are just beginning the studies on testosterone replacement therapy. It seems likely that there will be positive results though, if testosterone does increase the efficacy of insulin, and in the second study insulin increases brain function, then it seems logical that there will be much the same result in women. But I'll wait for the study to find out.

Back