Idealism without God

Hume

Verified User
The author makes a good case why we should trust our own experience to judge what is real.

Science only reports on physical facts. Religion talks about what god believes to be true.

"If idealism requires a traditional Judeo-Christian God, that strikes me as a cost. My book, The View from Everywhere, argues that idealism does not require such a God.
God is traditionally taken to be an omnibenevolent, omnipotent, omniscient agent."

The author makes a good case why we should trust our own experience to judge what is real.

Human experience doesn't prepare us to understand how time and space are not uniform parameters, how the subatomic world exists in a state of quantum superposition, or how to concieve of hyperdimensional space.

The empiricism conceived of by John Locke and the other British empiricists simply didn't account for physical realities that lie beyond our experiential sense perceptions.

Human experience doesn't prepare us to understand how time and space are not uniform parameters, how the subatomic world exists in a state of quantum superposition, or how to concieve of hyperdimensional space.

The empiricism conceived of by John Locke and the other British empiricists simply didn't account for physical realities that lie beyond our experiential sense perceptions.
How does a concept of time and space affect my experience?

Leibniz conceived the universe as relativistic in 1700. Certainly his experience was not based on the proof 200 years later.

How does a concept of time and space affect my experience?
Your GPS wouldn't work if engineers didn't account for the fact time runs slower in Earth orbit, than it does at your location on Earth's surface.

Science only reports on physical facts. Religion talks about what god believes to be true.

"If idealism requires a traditional Judeo-Christian God, that strikes me as a cost. My book, The View from Everywhere, argues that idealism does not require such a God.
God is traditionally taken to be an omnibenevolent, omnipotent, omniscient agent."

idealism does not require a judeo Christian God.

morality and creating high trust societies is an undeniable good regardless of spiritual beliefs, unless you hate humans and human thriving, then you're just a genocidal Nazi.

In your new book, you ask how the mind can influence matter. Are we any closer to answering that question today than when Descartes posited it nearly four centuries ago?
There’s materialism, which is now known as physicalism, which says that only physical really exists, and there is no mental.

Then there’s idealism, which is now enjoying a mini-renaissance, but by and large has not been popular in the 20th and early 21st century, which says that everything fundamentally is a manifestation of the mental.

Then there is classical dualism, which says there’s clearly physical matter and there’s the mental, and they somehow have to interact. It’s been challenging to understand how the mental interacts with the physical—that’s known as the causation problem.

And then there are other things like panpsychism, that’s now becoming very popular again, which is a very ancient faith. It says that fundamentally everything is “ensouled”—that everything, even elementary particles, feel a little bit like something.

Leibniz conceived the universe as relativistic in 1700. Certainly his experience was not based on the proof 200 years later.
Galileo conceived of an early form relativity 200 years before Leibniz and 400 years before Newton. But it was only partially the answer to special and general relativity, because it was only dealing with inertia.

You know how Einstein came up with special relativity? By reasoning and thought experiment, not by empirical experience and sense perception.

Galileo conceived of an early form relativity 200 years before Leibniz and 400 years before Newton. But it was only partially the answer to special and general relativity, because it was only dealing with inertia.

You know how Einstein came up with special relativity? By reasoning and thought experiment, not by empirical experience and sense perception.
So, experience does not depend on science.

Newton believed in absolute time and space.

Bottom line:

Scientists of a thousand years in the future...may view the "science" of today the same way we view the "sience" of a thousad years ago.

Same goes for physicians of that time.

Being comfortable with how little we may actually know about the REALITY of existence is someting for which we might well strive.

Newton believed in absolute time and space.
I know. But I didn't mention Newton. Newton didn't understand how time and space were variable, because nothing in his experience prepared him for perceiving that. That's why Newtonian mechanics doesn't work at relativistic speeds approaching c.

Bottom line:

Scientists of a thousand years in the future...may view the "science" of today the same way we view the "sience" of a thousad years ago.

Being comfortable with how little we may actually know about the REALITY of existence is someting for which we might well strive.
What is there is no reality to existence? That is, what if there is no true world other than what we think it is.

Bottom line:

Science has been wildly successful, particularly in fueling technological innovation. The inductive method of science is a watershed achievement for human knowledge. But I have always said that most laypersons don't appreciate how little science actually knows and explains.

Science has been wildly successful, particularly in fueling technological innovation. But I have always said that most laypersons don't appreciate how little science actually knows.
I think the problem is in science, not the layperson. Most people--even science literate--don't live their lives according to science.

What is there is no reality to existence? That is, what if there is no true world other than what we think it is.
Could be.

I suspect (just a suspicion) that what we know about the REALITY is a mere scratch in the surface of an enormous iceberg, Hume. Gotta make do with that for now.

Back