If HCR fails from bipartisan opposition...

I don't know about that but when not one single Republican Senator voted for it....it's certainly not partisan.

Who gives a fuck? Do you think these republicans are going to vote for anything that doesn't have their name on it? Of course not and that's their own damn fault. They can go piss their pants for all I care. They aren't the one's who are the majority to set the agenda. They lost. Plus they've got shit to do for themselves except be assholes.

Who gives a fuck? Do you think these republicans are going to vote for anything that doesn't have their name on it? Of course not and that's their own damn fault. They can go piss their pants for all I care. They aren't the one's who are the majority to set the agenda. They lost. Plus they've got shit to do for themselves except be assholes.

I agree completely....the Dems are the majority.....they set the agenda.....let them pass anything and everything their hearts desire....then after 2010 we can build a big bonfire and burn it all away.....:pke:

the only thing that's going to permit the country to get over it's anger at eight years of Bush is four years of Obama.....

Did you know that there is a provision in the Senate Health Care Bill (the one that creates the cost cutters) that will make it illegal to amend or attempt to repeal that portion (the death panel renamed, :D, basically the group that will determine the risk level that we are willing to bear) of the bill?

IMO this is a bad precedent. Much like the "nuclear option" if it passes with such a provision expect to see the next majority to add it to nearly every bill so that the future congresses cannot change or amend any of their legislation.

Did you know that there is a provision in the Senate Health Care Bill (the one that creates the cost cutters) that will make it illegal to amend or attempt to repeal that portion (the death panel renamed, :D, basically the group that will determine the risk level that we are willing to bear) of the bill?

IMO this is a bad precedent. Much like the "nuclear option" if it passes with such a provision expect to see the next majority to add it to nearly every bill so that the future congresses cannot change or amend any of their legislation.

lol....and if the next majority simply passes a law that any previous efforts to make it illegal to amend a law are null and void the result is........?.........

How in the hell can it be "illegal" to amend or repeal any portion of any bill? We're not talking about a constitutional amendment here - it's a law. Laws cannot make themselves immune to future legislation unless they are added to the Constitution.

What a crock of shit. Dems think they can do anything, just because Bush was a fuck up.

lol....and if the next majority simply passes a law that any previous efforts to make it illegal to amend a law are null and void the result is........?.........
Actually per the new rules they wouldn't be able to bring it up without a 2/3 vote to change the rules, because it would be discussion amending provisions that are excluded by law. Essentially in order to even discuss it you would need a Supermajority.

How in the hell can it be "illegal" to amend or repeal any portion of any bill? We're not talking about a constitutional amendment here - it's a law. Laws cannot make themselves immune to future legislation unless they are added to the Constitution.

What a crock of shit. Dems think they can do anything, just because Bush was a fuck up.
I'll see if I can find a link...

But here is what it says.

Section 3403 of Senator Harry Reid’s amendment requires that “it shall not be in order in the Senate or the House of Representatives to consider any bill, resolution, amendment, or conference report that would repeal or otherwise change this subsection.”

It further states:

“Notwithstanding rule XV of the Standing Rules of the Senate, a committee amendment described in subparagraph (A) may include matter not within the jurisdiction of the Committee on Finance if that matter is relevant to a proposal contained in the bill submitted under subsection (c)(3).”

In short, it sets up a rule to ignore another Senate rule.

Oddly enough, in order to change Senate rules it requires a supermajority. This can be problematic both to the law itself, and as I stated, for the future. Any changes to that section of the bill would require a supermajority.

Actually per the new rules they wouldn't be able to bring it up without a 2/3 vote to change the rules, because it would be discussion amending provisions that are excluded by law. Essentially in order to even discuss it you would need a Supermajority.

they don't need to "amend"....they can simply pass a new law abolishing it....or better yet, we submit a new "Tax Nebraska and Nevada to Fuck Over Harry Reid's Legacy Act".....let's say.....impose a new tax in an amount ten times the amount they saved in Medicare.....just for those two states.......

Last edited:
There's some truth to that but not just with Republicans. I have a deep and abiding mistrust of the Senate as it is the most un-Democratic institution in our government where a small group of politicians can defeat legislation which is in the best interest of the vast majority of this nation, in order to serve the interest of a few. I can forsee in our modern future with most people being educated that a constitutional amendment is passed limiting or reforming the senior branch of congress and making it more democratic and accountable to the voting public.

Well that's one opinion. The fact that the rest of the modern industrialized nations have adopted similiar options, have improved the quality of their health care system while also managing cost much more affectively than we have and while not one of those modern nations have come even remotely close to returning to a free market "pay or suffer" system would probably indicate a very high probability of your opinion being wrong.

I see this as the first major step in a progression which will modernize our health care services nationally and place us in a position to catch up with the rest of the modern world. Once this legislation is passed there will be no turning back.

they don't need to "amend"....they can simply pass a new law abolishing it....or better yet, we submit a new "Tax Nebraska and Nevada to Fuck Over Harry Reid's Legacy Act".....let's say.....impose a new tax in an amount ten times the amount they saved in Medicare.....just for those two states.......
In order to pass the law they'd have to discuss it. Once again, a 2/3 majority would be necessary in order to get that done.

Well that's one opinion. The fact that the rest of the modern industrialized nations have adopted similiar options, have improved the quality of their health care system while also managing cost much more affectively than we have and while not one of those modern nations have come even remotely close to returning to a free market "pay or suffer" system would probably indicate a very high probability of your opinion being wrong.

I see this as the first major step in a progression which will modernize our health care services nationally and place us in a position to catch up with the rest of the modern world. Once this legislation is passed there will be no turning back.
Hello? Were you possessed by Apple?

Can you at least follow what my post said with something salient to what it was about?

Back