If self is an illusion,how are we aware of ourselves?

Never expect a rational answer from an irrational person. :)

People vary. If a person often gives rational replies, it can be expected that they'll continue to doing so on average.

A person who often gives irrational answers should also be expected to continue the same behavior. Sure, sometimes something rational comes out of them, but the trend would remain irrational on average.

I understand. There is a school of thought where self is an illusion created by your own brain. Your self is not real.

If that is a fact, we wouldn't be aware of our selves.

Makes sense?

Genetic self vs intellectual self caricaturized social identity by consensus of "We say so." doesn't change actual point of displacement being alive in plain sight as ancestrally positioned now in an ever changing compounding continuation of evolving forward now in series parallel time occupying space here, evolving into new total sum achieved constantly until dead and extinction arrives as a whole species inhabiting the atmosphere currently changing people forward one reproduction at a time even with multiple births from one pregnancy.

Never expect a rational answer from an irrational person. :)

People vary. If a person often gives rational replies, it can be expected that they'll continue to doing so on average.

A person who often gives irrational answers should also be expected to continue the same behavior. Sure, sometimes something rational comes out of them, but the trend would remain irrational on average.

Your post seems quite rational.

Your post seems quite rational.

I do my best. :)

Part of my interest in JPP is separating the rational from the irrational posters.

Being human involves moments in irrationality (emotionally driven) but it's the long term trend of an individual that defines them as mostly rational or not.

Inquiring selves want to know.

"If self is an illusion,how are we aware of ourselves?"

Because of consciousness. People believe that there is a self that exists outside of consciousness when, in reality, there is only consciousness and its contents. There's no self thinking thoughts, feeling feelings or experiencing experiences.

The feeling that there is a self is just what it feels like to experience our unique stream of thought.

"If self is an illusion,how are we aware of ourselves?"

Because of consciousness. People believe that there is a self that exists outside of consciousness when, in reality, there is only consciousness and its contents. There's no self thinking thoughts, feeling feelings or experiencing experiences.

The feeling that there is a self is just what it feels like to experience our unique stream of thought.

Some say the self is an illusion. If that is so, how are we aware of our selves?

We aren't. We only believe there is a self. I'm not referring to a physical body, I mean the "self" that people imagine exists somewhere behind our eyes.

Anything that can imagine itself is real. While life itself may be an illusion, hologram, whatever, the mind itself exists.

Anything that can imagine itself is real. While life itself may be an illusion, hologram, whatever, the mind itself exists.

I agree and I don't think anyone would dispute that "you", as a physical body, exist. The "self" that doesn't exist is the one that most everyone imagines rides around in your body and feels like it's sitting somewhere behind your eyes. The separate self that exists outside of our steam of consciousness and is imagined to be making decisions and experiencing the world in any given moment. That's the self that is an illusion. Still, there is consciousness/thought that allows us to experience the world around us.

Back