If the govt had banned these weapons, this man would be alive today

Little-Acorn

Can the "convenience" of having such a deadly weapon around the house, justify the DEATH of this man??? Hardly!

Why don't you ask his bereaved 8 and 10 year old sons, if you're still not convinced that government should ban such weapons immediately? How many more people will have to die before we get common-sense regulations in place?

----------------------------------------

http://www.wyff4.com/news/15472885/detail.html

Man Fatally Stabs Himself While Cooking
Young Sons Witness Fatal Accident

POSTED: 10:25 am EST March 3, 2008
UPDATED: 5:03 pm EST March 3, 2008

ANDERSON, S.C. -- A man was killed Sunday when he accidentally stabbed himself while cooking.

Chief Deputy Coroner Charlie Boseman said that Michael Downing, 32, was cooking food for himself and his 8- and 10-year-old sons on Sunday afternoon. Downing burned himself, jerked his hand away and accidentally stabbed himself with a steak knife that he was holding in his hand, Boseman said.

Downing was able to call 911 and explained what had happened. Downing's 10-year-old son got on the phone with the dispatcher and followed instructions to try to save his father.

Downing was conscious when paramedics arrived at his home on Northlake Drive in Anderson. He was transported to AnMed emergency room where he later died.

Boseman said that the knife had pierced Downing's heart, causing his death.

Holy shit Batman...........

Can the "convenience" of having such a deadly weapon around the house, justify the DEATH of this man??? Hardly!

Why don't you ask his bereaved 8 and 10 year old sons, if you're still not convinced that government should ban such weapons immediately? How many more people will have to die before we get common-sense regulations in place?

ANDERSON, S.C. -- A man was killed Sunday when he accidentally stabbed himself while cooking.

Chief Deputy Coroner Charlie Boseman said that Michael Downing, 32, was cooking food for himself and his 8- and 10-year-old sons on Sunday afternoon. Downing burned himself, jerked his hand away and accidentally stabbed himself with a steak knife that he was holding in his hand, Boseman said.

Downing was able to call 911 and explained what had happened. Downing's 10-year-old son got on the phone with the dispatcher and followed instructions to try to save his father.

Downing was conscious when paramedics arrived at his home on Northlake Drive in Anderson. He was transported to AnMed emergency room where he later died.

'I swear' I will never ever cook while holding a steak knife again..my promise to the weapon control freaks!:rolleyes:

Appropriate now...dedication

'I Swear' song albeit I like the John Michael Montgomery(country) version better...however I did not want to be seen as being predjudice so I went the ethnic version..enjoy!

[nomedia]www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnYESenjoGY[/nomedia]

Last edited:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080301/NEWS/803010358/1002

Strip mall shooting critically injures 4
Columbus police: Still no answers

Kathleen Baydala • kbaydala@clarionledger.com • March 1, 2008

* Read Comments(2)
* Recommend (5)
* Print this page
* E-mail this article

* Share this article:
* Del.icio.us
* Facebook
* Digg
* Reddit
* Newsvine
* What’s this?

At least four people, including an ex-city councilman and a reserve police officer, were critically wounded Friday evening from gunfire sparked by domestic violence outside a Columbus shopping center.

Advertisement
At least two victims, including ex-City Councilman Kamal Karriem, were later reported to be in stable condition. The alleged gunman and an unidentified woman also were among the wounded.

Columbus Police Chief Joe St. John, who was shopping at a nearby store, was involved in confronting the shooter, according to Mayor Robert Smith Sr. But Smith said he didn't know if St. John was the one who wounded the suspect. The suspect's name was not released Friday.

Emergency officials said the shooting started at 5:07 p.m. outside the Town Square Shopping Center on 18th Avenue.

Early reports from witnesses indicated there may have been another suspect, but emergency officials said those reports were likely incorrect.

"Law enforcement followed up on the possibility of a second suspect and exhausted that possibility to the best of my knowledge," Columbus-Lowndes E911 Commission Chairman Beverly Broocks said.

Reached on his cell phone, St. John referred questions to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation. "We're still trying to figure out what happened," said MBI investigator Vernon Hathcock.

MBI and the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department are investigating.

The wounded were taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.

Smith, who was at the hospital Friday night, confirmed Karriem and officer Guy Taylor were among the injured.

Karriem was shot outside a gas station near 18th Avenue and U.S. 45 North, according to his family.

The two others were shot in the parking lot of Fred's Discount Store in the same area, the mayor said.

Smith said he did not know the names of the suspect and the wounded woman.

WCBI TV in Columbus reported the police chief, who was inside a nearby business, came out and exchanged shots with at least one suspect. Police later shot the suspect in a the parking lot of a Best Western hotel, according to the report.

Several businesses in the area were placed on lockdown for at least an hour.

Kamal Karriem, 49, also is a well-known radio and TV personality. He worked for WACR for 20 years and recently had a talk show called Straight Talk with Kamal Karriem on WTWG, his brother said.

"We've been overwhelmed with phone calls and prayers," Kabir Karriem said.

Kabir Karriem said he does not know whether his brother may have been targeted.

"We're waiting to find out what's in the reports," he said.

Taylor's family could not be reached for comment.

This is the second shooting in less than a month involving law enforcement in Columbus. Justin Smith, a 21-year-old Columbus man, was killed in a police shooting Jan. 31. That shooting is still under investigation.

The old argument...and worn out also..........

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080301/NEWS/803010358/1002

Strip mall shooting critically injures 4
Columbus police: Still no answers

Kathleen Baydala • kbaydala@clarionledger.com • March 1, 2008

* Read Comments(2)
* Recommend (5)
* Print this page
* E-mail this article

* Share this article:
* Del.icio.us
* Facebook
* Digg
* Reddit
* Newsvine
* What’s this?

At least four people, including an ex-city councilman and a reserve police officer, were critically wounded Friday evening from gunfire sparked by domestic violence outside a Columbus shopping center.

Advertisement
At least two victims, including ex-City Councilman Kamal Karriem, were later reported to be in stable condition. The alleged gunman and an unidentified woman also were among the wounded.

Columbus Police Chief Joe St. John, who was shopping at a nearby store, was involved in confronting the shooter, according to Mayor Robert Smith Sr. But Smith said he didn't know if St. John was the one who wounded the suspect. The suspect's name was not released Friday.

Emergency officials said the shooting started at 5:07 p.m. outside the Town Square Shopping Center on 18th Avenue.

Early reports from witnesses indicated there may have been another suspect, but emergency officials said those reports were likely incorrect.

"Law enforcement followed up on the possibility of a second suspect and exhausted that possibility to the best of my knowledge," Columbus-Lowndes E911 Commission Chairman Beverly Broocks said.

Reached on his cell phone, St. John referred questions to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation. "We're still trying to figure out what happened," said MBI investigator Vernon Hathcock.

MBI and the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department are investigating.

The wounded were taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.

Smith, who was at the hospital Friday night, confirmed Karriem and officer Guy Taylor were among the injured.

Karriem was shot outside a gas station near 18th Avenue and U.S. 45 North, according to his family.

The two others were shot in the parking lot of Fred's Discount Store in the same area, the mayor said.

Smith said he did not know the names of the suspect and the wounded woman.

WCBI TV in Columbus reported the police chief, who was inside a nearby business, came out and exchanged shots with at least one suspect. Police later shot the suspect in a the parking lot of a Best Western hotel, according to the report.

Several businesses in the area were placed on lockdown for at least an hour.

Kamal Karriem, 49, also is a well-known radio and TV personality. He worked for WACR for 20 years and recently had a talk show called Straight Talk with Kamal Karriem on WTWG, his brother said.

"We've been overwhelmed with phone calls and prayers," Kabir Karriem said.

Kabir Karriem said he does not know whether his brother may have been targeted.

"We're waiting to find out what's in the reports," he said.

Taylor's family could not be reached for comment.

This is the second shooting in less than a month involving law enforcement in Columbus. Justin Smith, a 21-year-old Columbus man, was killed in a police shooting Jan. 31. That shooting is still under investigation.

Yup...them damn guns went on a rampage...they told their owners to stuff it and did their own thingee..:rolleyes:

The op was incredibly stupid. The only point was on the knife. Jeez if you're going to try a discuss a topic check your stupid-meter reading before you post.

I'm incredibly disappointed by the piss weak oppostion here. I mean without the odd undergraduate humorous remark they'd be bereft. Get reinforcements before the site loses its appeal. :clink:

Guns, knives, chainsaws are all just tools and all can and will kill people if misused.
However of all those I mentioned, guns are the only ones designed for the sole purpose of killing.

Disclaimer: I do not support banning gun ownership, but do support regulation of guns to keep them out of the hands of the unstable, young and criminals.

Guns, knives, chainsaws are all just tools and all can and will kill people if misused.
However of all those I mentioned, guns are the only ones designed for the sole purpose of killing.

Disclaimer: I do not support banning gun ownership, but do support regulation of guns to keep them out of the hands of the unstable, young and criminals.

Trust someone to inject some sense into the thread. I knew it would happen, I just didn't expect it to be so soon.

guns are the only ones designed for the sole purpose of killing.

The usual whopper from the usual suspect.

A gun's primary purpose is to deter, or scare somebody into not doing something he was going to do. Guns do that far more often than they kill. As such, they are one of the more successful and beneficial weapons ever designed. Havijng guns available to law-abiding citizens in a society, is always a large net gain in safety and security.

I'm actually embarrassed for you, that you tried to draw a silly analogy between somebody cutting themselves with a knife and a gun ban.

As someone else said, this was just stupid.

A gun's primary purpose is to deter, or scare somebody into not doing something he was going to do. Guns do that far more often than they kill. As such, they are one of the more successful and beneficial weapons ever designed. Havijng guns available to law-abiding citizens in a society, is always a large net gain in safety and security.

A gun's only purpose is to kill. A side effect of this is that it scares the shit out of people. Go figure.

Right :rolleyes: check into the history and reason for development of firearms.
Armies just always show each other their guns and go home ?

Diuretic, looks like you still have a fool to mess with their limited mind with on this thread if you want to.

Last edited:

Sometimes I carry a gun. Its sole purpose is to kill, sorry "incapacitate".
If I use it for anything else then I will be disciplined for misuse.

Right :rolleyes: check into the history and reason for development of firearms.
Armies just always show each other their guns and go home ?

Diuretic, looks like you still have a fool to mess with their limited mind with on this thread if you want to.

I hate doing that, it makes me look contemptuous and I hate that look. I usually only get really bad when I'm insulted because I am notoriously thin-skinned :o

Back