I'm Seeing Spots Before My Eyes

If he's serious MP material, then he should handle Basic pretty well. I'm a bit worried about my brother, because he's way less mature for his age, and he is 19 whereas I was not yet 18 1/2. Plus, AF Basic is harder then when I went through!!
Don't worry....he's a man now!

I started to go in to the AF back in 78.
Took all the tests and blew them out of the water.
The recruiter said they were looking for Jet Mechanics and MP's.
I've always been good with my hands; but the MP's interested me.
Told him that I would sign for a 6 year stint; but I wanted one concession and that was I wanted to be stationed in AZ, for my first 2 years, after basic and/or any speciality training.
He asked why and I told him that I knew that I was responsible for moving my family, in the first 2 years (at that time); but after that the AF would do it.
I also told him that I was older then most of the other recruits and that I wasn't one that was going to be going on leave and getting arrested for drinking and/or whoring.

He told me that he couldn't do that and then I guess he got upset; because I told him that I had already talked to my Uncle, who had been a lifer, and yes he could.

I would have probably stayed in for life.

He got an attitude and I told him; Fine, take the guy who got second best place on the tests.
I almost got tricked by a recruiter in High School. Talked to the Army, they wanted to make an infantryman out of me. Not interested. Talked to the Air Force, they wanted to make a mechanic out of me, doubly not interested (No slam on mechanics intended, just not my thing). Didn't even talk to the Marine Corp. Wasn't the least bit interested in being a bad ass. Talked to the Navy. They got all excited when they interviewed me. Loved my interests, wanted to offer me a great carreer in medical training. I got real excited about that. Went to talk to my Uncle who served in the Corp during Nam (he was a grad student at the time).

He laughed and told me that was an old trick by the Navy. That they would give me great medical training. Turn me into a medic and then I'd spend the rest of my term humping my ass in the great outdoors and dodging bullets in some god forsaken place with a bunch of mentally challenged jar heads.

I went back and turned the offer down. Man those recruiters must spend 6 months training at a used car dealership!

Last edited:
Damo, the dot by my screen name has changed from green to red. What gives?

Also, my little brother is now in Air Force Basic Training, as of Tuesday evening. He's going active duty. Prayers welcome from all who do them, for the next 8 weeks. :cof1:

Your stupid God's already made up his mind. What good would prayers do?

Back