In case I dont get a chance later...

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule[/ame]

Interesting stuff.

It seems so easy to explain the origins of such a celebration as the begining of the winter hibernation. People spent all year collecting enough to eat and enough to store away for the months when food was not plentiful. You begin the winter with a shit load of stored goods. Dried meats, nuts, fruits, grains and then you have the last of the perishable stuffs that cant be stored. What better time to huddle in and eat all kinds of things and to whittle a toy out of the stored wood for the kids.

That's silly, you attempt to turn the term PC around, but make a weak argument towards it.

Happy Holidays is the PC term used to "not offend" people. It's what I expect people at a store to say because they are afraid you might be a Jew and would get "offended" as a member of the minority by somebody saying "Merry Christmas".

They think that saying "Merry Christmas" is a good thing, not for political reasons, but because they like to hear it.

So I should be required to say Merry Christmas because some people like to hear it....

I dont say happy holidays because I am afraid of offending someone, I say it to people whos celebration preferences I do not know. I dont want to sound like a fool wishing someone a happy something they dont even celebrate.

I live in South Florida so I am sure this stat is skewed, but at least 30% of my friends and aquancancies are jewish. Many of them I dont know if they are jewish or not, I would wish them happy holidays. Although if it turns out they are christian whackos I might be offending them!

I already got shit from one of my law partners because my greeting card says PEACE instead of merry christmas. BTW I wrote in Merry Christmas in his, because I knew he celebrated Christmas.

So I should be required to say Merry Christmas because some people like to hear it....

I dont say happy holidays because I am afraid of offending someone, I say it to people whos celebration preferences I do not know. I dont want to sound like a fool wishing someone a happy something they dont even celebrate.

I live in South Florida so I am sure this stat is skewed, but at least 30% of my friends and aquancancies are jewish. Many of them I dont know if they are jewish or not, I would wish them happy holidays. Although if it turns out they are christian whackos I might be offending them!
So? Offend.

You are the one to fear that. There is nothing in any constitution anywhere that gaurantees you will not be offended.

Isn't this the very situation where intent is so important that one should overlook the words? A grocery bagboy wished me the blessings of the season the other day. I suppose I could have got all out of sorts over it, but clearly his intent was good and that's what really matters.

Isn't this the very situation where intent is so important that one should overlook the words? A grocery bagboy wished me the blessings of the season the other day. I suppose I could have got all out of sorts over it, but clearly his intent was good and that's what really matters.

Wouldn't it be nice if more people thought the way Thorn does?

Oh hells yeah it would!

PEACE on EARTH.

Any religion that disagrees with that message needs to die a quick death.

Oh hells yeah it would!

PEACE on EARTH.

Any religion that disagrees with that message needs to die a quick death.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill t'ward all men. We're going to need it when our wives find out we didn't buy the "ONE" thing they wanted for Christmas... a vacuum cleaner!

Heeehee

It is the thought that counts here as Thorn said. It is not whether you say, "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", "Happy Chanukah", "Happy Kwanzaa" or just plain "Have a Great Day". It is the heart felt greeting and care that is important in this case.

May your holidays be super superb,

Immie

PS for all of you up North, I just want you to know it's cold here today in Tampa. Somewhere in the 60's brrrrrr!!!! :pke:

So? Offend.

You are the one to fear that. There is nothing in any constitution anywhere that gaurantees you will not be offended.

Sure, I agree. But they are trying to make me say the PC... Merry Cristmas.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill t'ward all men. We're going to need it when our wives find out we didn't buy the "ONE" thing they wanted for Christmas... a vacuum cleaner!

Heeehee

It is the thought that counts here as Thorn said. It is not whether you say, "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", "Happy Chanukah", "Happy Kwanzaa" or just plain "Have a Great Day". It is the heart felt greeting and care that is important in this case.

May your holidays be super superb,

Immie

PS for all of you up North, I just want you to know it's cold here today in Tampa. Somewhere in the 60's brrrrrr!!!! :pke:

DAM STRIGHT!

Its cold here in WEST PALM BEACH... 73. I had to change out of my shorts last night to go out to dinner. I broke the bluejeans out!

Immy, I am seriously looking into the possability of moving to Tampa. Know of any legal jobs available?

I grew up there, traffic was very bad. I really like the city, plenty to do. Major league sports, beaches and city feel.

I grew up there, traffic was very bad. I really like the city, plenty to do. Major league sports, beaches and city feel.

I lived there for 3 years and in Sarasota for a year. I liked living in Sarasota and playing in Tampa.

Tampa also has one of the better indoor shooting ranges I have been on.

Immy, I am seriously looking into the possability of moving to Tampa. Know of any legal jobs available?

Not at the moment I don't.

I wish I did. I'd love to return to the legal field. I have worked as the accountant for two different firms (one in California and another in Tampa) and given the opportunity, I'd snatch at another one in a heart beat.

With the economy as it is, I haven't been looking. It just is not a great time to be on the move.

Traffic bad in Tampa? Hah!! I laugh every time I hear that. People that say that obviously have never lived in Silicon Valley or L.A. that is for sure.

Immie

Back