IndyMac 50 cents on dollar?

What I read yesterday clarified that to mean $100,000 per individual within one institution/bank, in whatever form. This included savings, checking, CDs, all lumped together. The advice was clear: diversify among banks.

yep the way I have done all along. Inspite of pleading from some banks.

What I read yesterday clarified that to mean $100,000 per individual within one institution/bank, in whatever form. This included savings, checking, CDs, all lumped together. The advice was clear: diversify among banks.

technically, it is per account registration.

Jane Doe could have all of the following at her bank and be fully covered....

Jane Doe savings of $95k
Jane Doe Trust CD for $95k
Jane & John Doe joint checking with $100k

There are far better places to put money than banks, and better ways to insure than relying on the benevolence of government.

There are far better places to put money than banks, and better ways to insure than relying on the benevolence of government.

very true... especially given rising inflation & deflating dollar valuation. CDs, savings accounts, t-bills etc.... are losing money right now in terms of buying power.

Its per depositor per insured bank. But different tyoes of accounts are insured differently.

For example, and IRA is insured to $250k. Joint accounts are insured up to $100k per depositor. In other words, if my wife and I have $220k in a bank, and we both have access to the funds, we are insured on the first $100k each. So we would only have $20k uninsured.

Back