Inftrastructure and Energy

klaatu

Fusionist
I believe these will be the 2 most important issues we will be facing over the terms of the next President.

Energy and rebuilding this Countries infrastructure...roads and bridges and power grid. They go hand in hand in hand... and if we begin an aggressive approach to switching over to alternative energy sources along with building new roads and bridges, the nations power grid, and making sure the infrastructure is there to support new alternative energy methods.. We will see a period of Economic Prosperity that will rival any in our Nations History.

We are talking a new period of Small Business start ups to support the demands, labor jobs, hi tech jobs, engineering positions, incredible opportunities.

Well until the republicans can find a way to do all this where by only 3 plutocrats make any money.....they'll oppose it.

True.. and this is the thinking that has led to historical defections and a Congress that may see close to a 60% Dem majority.

Obamas including these issues as an important part of his platform and vision..was a smart move...

Mccain pretty much jumped on the energy bandwagon much too late and rarely if ever touched the topic of taking on this nations Infrastructure.... because in his straight talk, he sees nothing wrong with it.

Republicans can talk Security all they want... but until they include infrastructure and energy as two of the most important elements of keeping this Country safe... they are full of shit.

Romney ... who I like ...says that creating Jobs at the federal level to rebuild this countries infrastructure is only a temporary jobs solution. I beg to differ Gov.

A) Rebuilding our infrastructure is a massive under taking .. the jobs it would create are long term...very long term.
B) Rebuilding our Infrastructure will stimulate Small Business growth 1) To produce the raw materials and durable goods needed to rebuild roads, bridges and power grid ...
C) Stimulating growth in Small Businesses creates job growth.

True growth stimulates job growth.
The bogus growth we have had for years did little to stimulate job growth.
and in a country whose economy depends 2/3 on comsumer spendig, that is suicidal.
Jobless recovery ignoramuses.

I believe these will be the 2 most important issues we will be facing over the terms of the next President.

Energy and rebuilding this Countries infrastructure...roads and bridges and power grid. They go hand in hand in hand... and if we begin an aggressive approach to switching over to alternative energy sources along with building new roads and bridges, the nations power grid, and making sure the infrastructure is there to support new alternative energy methods.. We will see a period of Economic Prosperity that will rival any in our Nations History.

We are talking a new period of Small Business start ups to support the demands, labor jobs, hi tech jobs, engineering positions, incredible opportunities.

Oh I'm so excited about this subject. It is kind of the silver lining of $4.00/gal gasoline people are willing to make the switch.

Price and demand will drive this change in alternative energy and infrastructure. But it sure does feel like were close to being there and with some effort in that direction I think we can be there.

But it won't happen if gas stays at $2.00/gal. $3.00/gallon gas it would be a hard sell and at $4.00/gal then people start to listen. $5/gal gas and it would probably be a done deal inside of 10 years.

For transit I'd like to see first is a switch to LPG. We may not have much oil reserves in the US but we have underground oceans of LPG. LPG also dovetails into the fuel cell over the long run as the fuel delivery systems would be similar. We certainly need to build more nuclear plants and I feel that's the way to go as the safety technology of nuclear energy has proven its reliability.

I'd stay on corn too. It doesn't make a lot of sense really but it appeals to midwestern farmers and so all ready has a considerable political lobby. Corn alone won't solve the problem but due to its political appeal in the midwest and not mentioning there is value in maturing this technology, it's a good place to start.

True growth stimulates job growth.
The bogus growth we have had for years did little to stimulate job growth.
and in a country whose economy depends 2/3 on comsumer spendig, that is suicidal.
Jobless recovery ignoramuses.

Problem with this Country right now as I see it... we dont make anything anymore.. we need to change that.

Rebuilding our Nations Infrastructure and changing our Energy policy to expand on Alternative/Reusable Sources will help change that.

Problem with this Country right now as I see it... we dont make anything anymore.. we need to change that.

Rebuilding our Nations Infrastructure and changing our Energy policy to expand on Alternative/Reusable Sources will help change that.

Yep.

Oh I'm so excited about this subject. It is kind of the silver lining of $4.00/gal gasoline people are willing to make the switch.

Price and demand will drive this change in alternative energy and infrastructure. But it sure does feel like were close to being there and with some effort in that direction I think we can be there.

But it won't happen if gas stays at $2.00/gal. $3.00/gallon gas it would be a hard sell and at $4.00/gal then people start to listen. $5/gal gas and it would probably be a done deal inside of 10 years.

For transit I'd like to see first is a switch to LPG. We may not have much oil reserves in the US but we have underground oceans of LPG. LPG also dovetails into the fuel cell over the long run as the fuel delivery systems would be similar. We certainly need to build more nuclear plants and I feel that's the way to go as the safety technology of nuclear energy has proven its reliability.

I'd stay on corn too. It doesn't make a lot of sense really but it appeals to midwestern farmers and so all ready has a considerable political lobby. Corn alone won't solve the problem but due to its political appeal in the midwest and not mentioning there is value in maturing this technology, it's a good place to start.

We dont need to artificially price oil out of business. Thats inflationary and recessionary. The price of energy was one of the culprits that put us in this financial mess. Many people were choosing between paying their mortgage or paying their heat bill.... for survival...heat won and foreclosures were the result.

Access is whats needed ... and to gain access means a restructuring of the Nations Infrastructure

Since I work in the utility construction industry, I think working on the power grid would be a great idea.

And we received 12 reels of high count fiber optic cable for a new municiple job, and have won bids for 3 other bigger jobs.

Infrastructure sounds like earmarked pork...

Infrastructure is not earmarked pork. Infrastructure is roads and bridges, water supply plants, power grids.... these are the vital organs of our communities. If Government doesnt take the lead who does?

FDR took action, Ike took action with Fed Hwy Act, Reagan took action with Enterprise Free Zones.. now we are back to rebuilding what we built 60 years ago.....

Heck we can't even seem to keep what we have repaired.

It seems that way, because the failures stand out.

But look at how soon the majority of the power was back on after Ike. Thousands of men worked 16 hour days to put the poles back, replace the lines and rebuild the substations. Its a remarkable feat.

But someone has to spend the money to hire the trained people, buy the materials, and cover the costs of repairs and rebuilds. It ain't cheap.

And powerline work is one area that you cannot use substandard materials or untrained people.

That's not true. We produce more now then we ever have. Problem is, is that with modern technology we produce much more with way fewer people. Robots and machines do most repetative task these days. Modern manufacturing just doesn't provide the number of jobs that it used to.

We dont need to artificially price oil out of business. Thats inflationary and recessionary. The price of energy was one of the culprits that put us in this financial mess. Many people were choosing between paying their mortgage or paying their heat bill.... for survival...heat won and foreclosures were the result.

Access is whats needed ... and to gain access means a restructuring of the Nations Infrastructure
Access will not drive that change. Price point sure as hell will. With gas at $2/gallon the average american won't give a shit about this issue. At $3/gal they become concerned and start to listen at $4/gal their ears are wide flappingly open and at $5/gal the public will be screaming for change.

This will be a demand driven change and the price point of gasoline and diesel will drive that change.

Infrastructure sounds like earmarked pork...
It's not. It's a big part of the equation. Any change in fuel supply neccessarily requires a change in infrastructure. Take LPG for example. You'll need to develop and increase LPG drilling and pipelining capacity. Create new technologies for storing and transfering/shiping LPG and new technologies for delivering it to consumers in a safe manner and new products which can use this source of energy. That's a lot of infrastructure change.

The government can't drive this though. They can encourage the climate of change and strategically focus on it's development but ultimately the private sector has to make this change and it will be price (demand) driven.

It's not. It's a big part of the equation. Any change in fuel supply neccessarily requires a change in infrastructure. Take LPG for example. You'll need to develop and increase LPG drilling and pipelining capacity. Create new technologies for storing and transfering/shiping LPG and new technologies for delivering it to consumers in a safe manner and new products which can use this source of energy. That's a lot of infrastructure change.

The government can't drive this though. They can encourage the climate of change and strategically focus on it's development but ultimately the private sector has to make this change and it will be price (demand) driven.

It is going to take solid investment in LPG to make the change. And unfortunately, now is a crappy time to expect investments in new areas.

The power grid needs upgrading and is expensive to maintain.

I hope to see major investments in both soon.

Access will not drive that change. Price point sure as hell will. With gas at $2/gallon the average american won't give a shit about this issue. At $3/gal they become concerned and start to listen at $4/gal their ears are wide flappingly open and at $5/gal the public will be screaming for change.

This will be a demand driven change and the price point of gasoline and diesel will drive that change.

Access will allow for competition at the pumps .... right now all I have to choose from is gasoline and Diesel ... but yet there are several other Alternative Choices on the Market.. but I dont have access to them.

What is the solution? Incentives. Back in the 80's Enterprise Free Zones spearheaded new development and redevelopment of area's once never thought of as Commercially Viable. They became known as Industrial Parks ..eventually to become occupied by new Hi Tech and Technical/Client Support driven Businesses of the 90's.

Taxing people to discourage the use of Gasoline will do unnecessary damage to other area's of the Nations Economy. Dont forget ... the cost of oil is relative to the cost of transportation which reflects on the price of durable goods and services.... the domino effect... which is part of the reason why we are heading towards recession.

Look at history... you will find past recessions coinciding with the rapid rise in cost of energy. When energy prices increase it cuts into other area's of peoples budgets, it has a major effect on the Auto Industry which in turn has a major effect on Businesses that do business with the Auto Industry.
Thousands end up loosing their jobs.

It is going to take solid investment in LPG to make the change. And unfortunately, now is a crappy time to expect investments in new areas.

The power grid needs upgrading and is expensive to maintain.

I hope to see major investments in both soon.

There is no choice here... we have to do it. It will be costly at first... but in the long term it will spearhead a new era.

Power Grid
Re-Deveolpment of Roads and Bridges
Redevelopment of Infrastructure to allow for Alternative Energies
New Water Plants
Wide Spread Development of Under Ground Fiber Optics

These are area's that Government at all levels will have to jump start but private businesses will eventually benefit.

We are heading into exciting Times that will open up huge opportunities.

Back