Is chivalry dead?

What would you think if a guy offered you his seat on the bus today? Would he be acting chivalrous? Would you take it and think 'thank's sucker'? (And since tone can be difficult to decipher I'm not asking this in an attacking or accusatory manner, I'm just asking as a question)

My grandfather was an old southern gentleman. When I spent time with him he was always drilling me on my manners and asking me questions to make sure I was respectful to women. He's passed but I still hear his voice in my head from time to time such as riding the bus last week which is why I'm asking the question.

I'd think he must think I'm an old lady! There's no reason to give up your seat to a woman unless she is elderly, pregnant, or in obvious physical distress. I give up my seat to elderly people all the time, and rarely sit on the subway anyway. ( i don't really use buses).

Holding doors open is different.

And it's also different for your SO. Mine would never sit while I was standing, but that's a completely different thing.

I'd think he must think I'm an old lady! There's no reason to give up your seat to a woman unless she is elderly, pregnant, or in obvious physical distress. I give up my seat to elderly people all the time, and rarely sit on the subway anyway. ( i don't really use buses).

And it's also different for your SO. Mine would never sit while I was standing, but that's a completely different thing.

Haha. Yeah, that makes sense.

Are you brain dead? Granted the good posters are mostly liberal but it is a libertarian forum with a strong right slant.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If by libertarian you mena pot obsessed then perhaps. Right slant ? Perhaps if you are Chairman Mao.

What would you think if a guy offered you his seat on the bus today? Would he be acting chivalrous? Would you take it and think 'thank's sucker'? (And since tone can be difficult to decipher I'm not asking this in an attacking or accusatory manner, I'm just asking as a question)

My grandfather was an old southern gentleman. When I spent time with him he was always drilling me on my manners and asking me questions to make sure I was respectful to women. He's passed but I still hear his voice in my head from time to time such as riding the bus last week which is why I'm asking the question.

I can remember a discussion about this, not sure if it was here or AOL but most of the men took the position that if women want equality they can stand on the bus and open their own doors. And when someone said "what if the woman's pregnant?" the guys said "stop trying pretend pregnancy is an illness and suck it up."

I though of this when Taft posted the thread about NY women not giving up a seat on the bus, and also when DY and usf said women should take a helping of c*nt if it's dished out and stop whining. It's selective depending on the time of day or something.

It really depends on how she's built. If she's got nice legs and a shapely ass, let her stand so you can enjoy the view. If she's got great cleavage, offer her your seat so you can enjoy the view...

You don't understand how a thread ban works, do you Dumbass?

I was similarly brought up. Someone has to stand, go through a door first, walk on the outside of the pavement or whatever, though, and having habitual ways of doing these things saves time, though we need to change them when they are perceived as odd, doubtless. When I was in Austria last year a girl (of about fourteen, I'd guess) offered ME her seat. God, did I feel old! We spent the rest of the journey arguing about who should sit down, till some capitalist swine left us both standing!

I was similarly brought up. Someone has to stand, go through a door first, walk on the outside of the pavement or whatever, though, and having habitual ways of doing these things saves time, though we need to change them when they are perceived as odd, doubtless. When I was in Austria last year a girl (of about fourteen, I'd guess) offered ME her seat. God, did I feel old! We spent the rest of the journey arguing about who should sit down, till some capitalist swine left us both standing!

Lol, give her a break she's 14. She probably has a 25-year old science teacher who she refers to as "old lady Smith."

Since you brought up walking on the outside of the pavement that is one of my most memorable San Francisco chivalry moments. I was walking down a busy SF street with my sister when I hear this loud "YOU ARE NOT A GENTLEMAN" statement come from this homeless crack head and as I look up he was pointing at me! Sure enough I was walking on the inside and my sister the outside. I'm not sure how he picked me out of the many people on the street and it's not everyday (at least in my experiences) that a homeless drug addict calls you out for your manners but the gentleman was correct, and ever since I'm usually pretty aware of walking on the outside.

Since you brought up walking on the outside of the pavement that is one of my most memorable San Francisco chivalry moments. I was walking down a busy SF street with my sister when I hear this loud "YOU ARE NOT A GENTLEMAN" statement come from this homeless crack head and as I look up he was pointing at me! Sure enough I was walking on the inside and my sister the outside. I'm not sure how he picked me out of the many people on the street and it's not everyday (at least in my experiences) that a homeless drug addict calls you out for your manners but the gentleman was correct, and ever since I'm usually pretty aware of walking on the outside.

My brother was married from his flat in Soho, and there was a drug treatment centre downstairs, whose customers lay about on the floor, waiting for opening time. As my Mother stepped over them they all raised their hats or caps, and she was charmed by their manners. Let us never underestimate crackheads. There, but for the grace of God go the rest of us properly-behaved lot! :)

My brother was married from his flat in Soho, and there was a drug treatment centre downstairs, whose customers lay about on the floor, waiting for opening time. As my Mother stepped over them they all raised their hats or caps, and she was charmed by their manners. Let us never underestimate crackheads. There, but for the grace of God go the rest of us properly-behaved lot! :)

They just wanted to get a better look up her dress, as she was stepping over them.

The guy was probably just tired of the two of you arguing over the seat and took it, in an attempt to shut both you the fuck up.
I'm surprised that you didn't tell the part where he received a standing ovation, from the rest of the riders who were subjected to your stupidity.

Aren't you an old lady? :cof1:

I would think it very polite and nice if a man offered his seat to me. No "whatta sucker" would even cross my mind. Then again, I am old fashioned anyway.

What are the ages in this board, anyway? All young whippersnappers?

I would think it very polite and nice if a man offered his seat to me. No "whatta sucker" would even cross my mind. Then again, I am old fashioned anyway.

i am 69 and have no cartilage left in either knee...i am due for knee replacements

oh well

Mostly the scourge of humanity (Boomers), but a few of us are under 30.

Back