Is it time to Legalize Drugs? Cops say yes.

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OybkLJEEAHU"]YouTube - Police : Legalize Drugs to Save Our Lives[/ame]

I'm all for replacing the criminal justice system for managing illicit drugs and drug abuse in general with the public health care approach. It's more sane, humane, efficient and cost affective.

They are talking about exactly that, they speak about the steps they need to take and this is simply the first? :eek:

I'm all for replacing the criminal justice system for managing illicit drugs and drug abuse in general with the public health care approach. It's more sane, humane, efficient and cost affective.

It just makes sense, I sometimes feel that our government takes the senseless approach on most issues!

Why is that? it makes them more money?

I think we should distribute free drugs to addicts.....eliminate profits for gangs, remove incentive for gangs to create new addicts, remove crime from streets as addicts won't need to steal to support their habit....and in less than a generation the addicts will have died off and we can retire the program.....

Ahahaha, is this your pat answer for the day?
He's just trolling again, it's of no consequence. I'm sure you remember the thread where I posted the video of all the D leaders talking about how they want to engineer this legislation so that it will be a step towards single-payer and talked about incrementalism. That's what he's talking about.

I'm sure this person would normally support legalizing drugs, but since he's a troll trying to get a rise tries inane things like this.

I want the cheapest and freest way of doing it which is legalizing it. Screw the public health approach - that would bankrupt us, although put it in place for minors below the age of consent...

He's just trolling again, it's of no consequence. I'm sure you remember the thread where I posted the video of all the D leaders talking about how they want to engineer this legislation so that it will be a step towards single-payer and talked about incrementalism. That's what he's talking about.

I'm sure this person would normally support legalizing drugs, but since he's a troll trying to get a rise tries inane things like this.

You know those ugly old trolls, the things they do!

You know those ugly old trolls, the things they do!
Meh, that was the best conversation I've ever had with this particular troll. I've always had the belief that this is a conservative who works very hard trying to make lefties look bad.

I want the cheapest and freest way of doing it which is legalizing it. Screw the public health approach - that would bankrupt us, although put it in place for minors below the age of consent...
It would cost less than the prisons, in more ways than just fiscally.

Legalize pot, grant pardon to those past offenders and your budget will dramatically decrease!

You'd save nearly $2.5 billion a year by closing the DEA.

In 2005, the DEA seized a reported $1.4 billion in drug trade related assets and $477 million worth of drugs.[14] However, according to the White House's Office of Drug Control Policy, the total value of all of the drugs sold in the U.S. is as much as $64 billion a year,[15] making the DEA's efforts to intercept the flow of drugs into and within the U.S. less than 1% effective. Defenders of the agency's performance record argue that the DEA has had a positive effect beyond their relatively small annual seizures by placing pressure on traffickers, raising prices for consumers which may reduce the affordability of drugs[[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/ame]]. Critics of this theory (including the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize"]Nobel Prize[/ame] winning economist [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman"]Milton Friedman[/ame], prior to his death a member of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Against_Prohibition"]Law Enforcement Against Prohibition[/ame]) point out that demand for illegal drugs shows little price sensitivity; the people who are buying drugs will continue to buy them with little regard to price, often turning to crime to support expensive drug habits when the drug prices rise. One recent study by the DEA showed that the price of cocaine and methamphetamine is the highest it has ever been while the quality of both is at its lowest point ever.[16] This is contrary to a collection of data done by the Office of National Drug Control Policy, which states that purity of street drugs has increased, while price has decreased.[17][18][19] In sharp contrast to the statistics presented by the DEA, the United States Department of Justice released data in 2003 showing that purity of methamphetamine was on the rise.[20] Ironically, this information was provided to the USDOJ by the DEA.

You'd save nearly $2.5 billion a year by closing the DEA.

In 2005, the DEA seized a reported $1.4 billion in drug trade related assets and $477 million worth of drugs.[14] However, according to the White House's Office of Drug Control Policy, the total value of all of the drugs sold in the U.S. is as much as $64 billion a year,[15] making the DEA's efforts to intercept the flow of drugs into and within the U.S. less than 1% effective. Defenders of the agency's performance record argue that the DEA has had a positive effect beyond their relatively small annual seizures by placing pressure on traffickers, raising prices for consumers which may reduce the affordability of drugs[citation needed]. Critics of this theory (including the Nobel Prize winning economist Milton Friedman, prior to his death a member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) point out that demand for illegal drugs shows little price sensitivity; the people who are buying drugs will continue to buy them with little regard to price, often turning to crime to support expensive drug habits when the drug prices rise. One recent study by the DEA showed that the price of cocaine and methamphetamine is the highest it has ever been while the quality of both is at its lowest point ever.[16] This is contrary to a collection of data done by the Office of National Drug Control Policy, which states that purity of street drugs has increased, while price has decreased.[17][18][19] In sharp contrast to the statistics presented by the DEA, the United States Department of Justice released data in 2003 showing that purity of methamphetamine was on the rise.[20] Ironically, this information was provided to the USDOJ by the DEA.

that is a chuck of change! plus the tax revenues on the drugs!

85% of the non violent offenders in jail are thier for pot.
Decrim at least.
Legalize if you want to reduce useage and stop bankrupting the country

The public health approach would cost significantly less than the current approach. And it's obviously much more politically pragmatic.

Back