Is McCain Patirotic enough to be president?

Jarod

Contributor
McCain is associated with many evil people.

For example, McCain has been known to meet with the Queen of England, She was a close friend of former Brittish Prime Minister Nevil Chamberland when she was younger. Nevil Chamberland negotiated and appeased Adolf Hitler....

I am conserned about McCain's association with people like Hitler...!

Ever pay attention to the lyrics?

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said "Son, don't you understand"

I had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone

He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.

It was a joke Cawacko.

And NO its not anti American.

There is nothing more AMERICAN than speaking truth to power.

Have I ever paid attention to them? Yes, I had the album as a kid, have the song on my ipod today, and know the words by heart.

And they are anti-American how?

Clearly you've already decided that you are not going to see this as anti-American (if in fact you see anything as anti-American) but this verse of the lyrics fits the description.

Well, I suppose they aren't anti-American per se. They're just not the Toby Keith flag-waving bullshit one might expect.

I wish people would stop cutting and pasting lyrics to such a classic song. We all know the words.

Let's hear an explanation of why they are anti-American.

Clearly you've already decided that you are not going to see this as anti-American (if in fact you see anything as anti-American) but this verse of the lyrics fits the description.

Have I ever paid attention to them? Yes, I had the album as a kid, have the song on my ipod today, and know the words by heart.

And they are anti-American how?

I guess it comes down to perception but I've heard it categorized that way many times.

For example here it comes up during a discussion about tennis:

I'm disappointed that you singled out Jennifer Capriati for her choice of warm-up music last week, but let Andy Roddick off the hook. Roddick also deserved a verbal slap on the wrist for his choice of Bruce Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A., which is not, I repeat NOT, a patriotic song. In fact, it is a very anti-American song which details how a person was beaten down his whole life, forced into the military, and treated like dirt after Vietnam -- all because he had the extreme misfortune to be born in the U.S.A. Roddick was probably clueless about this, but I think that somebody around him or the tournament officials should have paid attention and made him aware of the song's content.
--Sierra, New York

Fair point. And you're right about Born in the U.S.A. Though it's usually played as an American anthem (particularly in NASCAR circles), the lyrics to Born in the U.S.A. are something other than patriotic. I still would submit that there is a huge difference between choosing a well-known song that one (cluelessly, perhaps) thinks is patriotic; and choosing one whose very title is both violent and hostile. A sample of the lyrics to the Outkast song Bombs Over Baghdad, which Capriati requested be played over the P.A. system as she walked onto the court before a match in Key Biscayne.

Don't pull the thang out, unless you plan to bang
[Choir] Bombs over Baghdad!
[Dre] Yeah! Ha ha yeah!

Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something
[Dre] Yeah! Uhh-huh

The moral of the story: particularly in an international sport, players ought to leave politics out of their song selections. (And no truth to the rumor that Capriati is considering Philadelphia Freedom for her next match.) ... Speaking of the Capster:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_wertheim/news/2003/04/07/mailbag/

Yeah Born in the USA ain't no Proud to be American!

Which by the way we were so tired of hearing on Armed Forces Radio in Europe by the end of the first Gulf War. AFN played that song twice an hour and every battalion assembly we had one of the wives would sing it, BADLY.

I guess it comes down to perception but I've heard it categorized that way many times.

For example here it comes up during a discussion about tennis:

I'm disappointed that you singled out Jennifer Capriati for her choice of warm-up music last week, but let Andy Roddick off the hook. Roddick also deserved a verbal slap on the wrist for his choice of Bruce Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A., which is not, I repeat NOT, a patriotic song. In fact, it is a very anti-American song which details how a person was beaten down his whole life, forced into the military, and treated like dirt after Vietnam -- all because he had the extreme misfortune to be born in the U.S.A. Roddick was probably clueless about this, but I think that somebody around him or the tournament officials should have paid attention and made him aware of the song's content.
--Sierra, New York

Fair point. And you're right about Born in the U.S.A. Though it's usually played as an American anthem (particularly in NASCAR circles), the lyrics to Born in the U.S.A. are something other than patriotic. I still would submit that there is a huge difference between choosing a well-known song that one (cluelessly, perhaps) thinks is patriotic; and choosing one whose very title is both violent and hostile. A sample of the lyrics to the Outkast song Bombs Over Baghdad, which Capriati requested be played over the P.A. system as she walked onto the court before a match in Key Biscayne.

Don't pull the thang out, unless you plan to bang
[Dre] Yeah! Ha ha yeah!

Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something
[Dre] Yeah! Uhh-huh

The moral of the story: particularly in an international sport, players ought to leave politics out of their song selections. (And no truth to the rumor that Capriati is considering Philadelphia Freedom for her next match.) ... Speaking of the Capster:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_wertheim/news/2003/04/07/mailbag/

You’ve heard it categorized that way? So?

Read the words, and try and find one thing that didn’t happen in that song. Kids who got into local trouble were given a choice between nam and jail. And they did send them over to kill the yellow man, that’s why they trained them to “kill the gooks” in basic. Or maybe you think they sent them over to deliver flowers?

And you should try reading the bios of so many of those damned vets over the decades when they came back. How many thousands did live in the shadow of the penitentiary, not to mention the cemetery. How many committed suicide.

God, this makes me so angry. The nerve of you people. Sitting in your air-conditioned offices, and pissing on a song that wrote the fucking history of guys you would never deign to get near enough to smell on the fucking streets.

You talk about anti-american? Yeah.

In fact, it is a very anti-American song which details how a person was beaten down his whole life, forced into the military, and treated like dirt after Vietnam -- all because he had the extreme misfortune to be born in the U.S.A.

This is a prime example of how right wingers view the world. It is not that he had the MISFORTUNE to be born in the USA but that he WAS treated this way IN SPITE of the fact that he was born here. It is about how sometimes reality and perception don't jibe. It is about how a son of America, born in what is the greatest country in the world, ended up where he was and how the debacle in Vietnam shaped the rest of his life. Lots of Vietnam Vets saw truth in this song while, IMO, many more did not. But the song is not about the misfortune of being born here.

Yeah Born in the USA ain't no Proud to be American!

Which by the way we were so tired of hearing on Armed Forces Radio in Europe by the end of the first Gulf War. AFN played that song twice an hour and every battalion assembly we had one of the wives would sing it, BADLY.

Yeah, Lee Greenwood.

Chickenshit hawk. He may be “proud to stand beside you and defend her once again” but by again, he means YOUR again, cause he ain’t done it once yet.

sounds very American to me. Unless you live in a fantasy world Like Bush or other elite like topper.

Exactly there is NOTHING more American than speaking out about what is wrong with the way the country is doing business.

Speaking Truth to power is as American as you can get!

I can’t read this thread anymore, I will blow a fucking gasket.

You people better get your fucking head on straight. We have guys coming back who did FOUR FUCKING TOURS. They are messed up and if you consider it anti-American to talk about that, you are dooming tens of thousands of these guys. You better open up your squeaky wallets Repubs. Support the troops aint’ a car magnet anymore.

Now, continue jerking off.

Back