Is the Big Bang the best explanation for how our universe started?

Only the observable universe. The laws of physics do not allow us to see farther than the cosmic microwave radiation background. The nature and scope of the universe beyond the observable portion is a matter of sheer speculation.

It is possible there were universes that preceded the big bang. Imagine if our entire universe collapsed and a completely new system arose, like the big bang.

I also think it best explains the origin of the universe......the Big Bang made a noise that sounded like "Let There Be....." in Hebrew......

Technically it didn't start.
The interesting thing about the Big Bang is that it was never obvious or self-evident to prominent western intellectuals that the universe had a beginning at a moment in time.

Aristotle to Einstein assumed the universe was eternal and unchanging. They just thought it was philosophically satisfactory to think of it that way.

Plato was closer to the mark. He speculated about the Demiurge, who was an agent that took the existing forces of chaos, and fashioned them into models of the eternal forms and all physical reality.

Evolution is only a theory, sweetums.

So is gravity. I suggest you test the theory by stepping off a pier into the bay. :thup:

https://www.britannica.com/science/...l-theory-and-other-aspects-of-physical-theory
Gravitational theory and other aspects of physical theory
The Newtonian theory of gravity is based on an assumed force acting between all pairs of bodies—i.e., an action at a distance. When a mass moves, the force acting on other masses had been considered to adjust instantaneously to the new location of the displaced mass. That, however, is inconsistent with special relativity, which is based on the axiom that all knowledge of distant events comes from electromagnetic signals.

The interesting thing about the Big Bang is that it was never obvious or self-evident to prominent western intellectuals that the universe had a beginning at a moment in time.

Aristotle to Einstein assumed the universe was eternal and unchanging. They just thought it was philosophically satisfactory to think of it that way.

Plato was closer to the mark. He speculated about the Demiurge, who was an agent that took the existing forces of chaos, and fashioned them into models of the eternal forms and all physical reality.

The Demiurge, the creator, also a concept of Gnosticism. I read once, can’t remember if it was Pagels or Armstrong that Yahweh is the Demiurge and the Supreme Being is unknowable.

The Demiurge, the creator, also a concept of Gnosticism. I read once, can’t remember if it was Pagels or Armstrong that Yahweh is the Demiurge and the Supreme Being is unknowable.

Interesting. I did not know that Demiurge found it's way into Gnostic mythology.

I like Karen Armstrong's books!

Back