Is The Death Penalty Moral?

Ohh most everything is moral. The devil has his morals, so does the priest (including child molesting)
There are some amoral types, but they are not the majority.

Ohh most everything is moral. The devil has his morals, so does the priest (including child molesting)
There are some amoral types, but they are not the majority.

Ah, but if everything is relative then there is only one kind of morality, neither good or bad. Morals then become a synonym for actions, like ergo and therefore.

Killing is only moral in self-defense. The state (i.e. an institution that should be granted authority to only protect individual rights, not take them away) should not have the right to kill. Moreover, even if the state did have such a right, error among human institutions is far too high to grant such a power. It is far more important to protect the rights of the accused/innocent than to kill the guilty - mind you, abolishing the death penalty does not remove the punishment of imprisonment (for life, if necessary).

non-sequitor

Killing is only moral in self-defense. The state (i.e. an institution that should be granted authority to only protect individual rights, not take them away) should not have the right to kill. Moreover, even if the state did have such a right, error among human institutions is far too high to grant such a power. It is far more important to protect the rights of the accused/innocent than to kill the guilty - mind you, abolishing the death penalty does not remove the punishment of imprisonment (for life, if necessary).

Life in prison without parole is a death sentence...it just cost more! and would this not be more inhumane?

I agree with Ironhead on this one. And actually, the death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment. Daily expenses for Death Row are much higher than for medium and high security prisons. Plus, people sentenced to life don't often get an appeal, and aren't up for a parole board for many after incarceration. Meanwhile, people sentenced to death get one constitutionally mandated appeal plus many more on average.

This is pure hype and pandering...........

I agree with Ironhead on this one. And actually, the death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment. Daily expenses for Death Row are much higher than for medium and high security prisons. Plus, people sentenced to life don't often get an appeal, and aren't up for a parole board for many after incarceration. Meanwhile, people sentenced to death get one constitutionally mandated appeal plus many more on average.

a cell is a cell...food is food,entertainment is entertainment.,.,.does not matter if it is isolated or in general population...same amount of guards needed...as for appeals yes one is guaranteed under Death penalty...but all have free counsel...life,death or avg sentence...:rolleyes:

Ah, but if everything is relative then there is only one kind of morality, neither good or bad. Morals then become a synonym for actions, like ergo and therefore.

"Good" and "bad" are useless value statements, they're usually applied to actions after they've been evaluated on other grounds.

Back