Is the US safer today than before 911 ?

I don't think it was the worst in American History... but in the end I don't think it will prove to be as costly in lives as VN was. It is something worth working towards providing better solutions and engaging strong minds in another direction... I'm simply happy we actually have begun to engage the threat that we ignored as a population. Until the populace realizes what an actual grave threat this is we still probably won't provide the necessary resources to find the end solution.

If we continue to commit to failed policy because we dont want to seen as "appeasing" the enemy or we want to "stay the course" we are doomed.
We won't though. You just assume that all America will never simply work toward a different solution. We have proven long ago and repeatedly we will change when we believe it necessary. It just is inane to keep "dooming" us in fear rhetoric in order to get it done. It works against you as the other side starts digging in...

I don't think it was the worst in American History... but in the end I don't think it will prove to be as costly in lives as VN was. It is something worth working towards providing better solutions and engaging strong minds in another direction... I'm simply happy we actually have begun to engage the threat that we ignored as a population. Until the populace realizes what an actual grave threat this is we still probably won't provide the necessary resources to find the end solution.

Serioulsy, Damo: you think spending up to a trillion dollars on Iraq, was a wise investment? Or a massive blunder?

We won't though. You just assume that all America will never simply work toward a different solution. We have proven long ago and repeatedly we will change when we believe it necessary.

I can't remember who said this, but the US tends to do the right thing only after it has exhausted doing all the wrong things....

Serioulsy, Damo: you think spending up to a trillion dollars on Iraq, was a wise investment? Or a massive blunder?
I think it is a blunder, but not the most massive blunder ever. I think allowing slavery from the beginning was the most massive blunder ever. It still has repurcussions and will continue to have them even when the solution to this one is found.

We won't though. You just assume that all America will never simply work toward a different solution. We have proven long ago and repeatedly we will change when we believe it necessary.

I can't remember who said this, but the US tends to do the right thing only after it has exhausted doing all the wrong things....
Nah, it's only that the right thing finally solves it, there is no longer any need to try to find new solutions...

It's like saying, "It's always in the last place you look!" of course it is, once you find it you stop looking!

I think it is a blunder, but not the most massive blunder ever. I think allowing slavery from the beginning was the most massive blunder ever. It still has repurcussions and will continue to have them even when the solution to this one is found.

Okay, I should have said the most massive foreign policy blunder in american history. Obviously slavery and the civil war were the most traumatic and destructive events on the domestic front.

Viet Nam was the worst blunder, it cost far too much in lives. In this case the cost is high, but not as costly as the other... Lives cost more than any monetary value, IMO. I am glad that so far this blunder is less costly than most others...

created more terrorist ? how do you prove that?

i feel its safer, not much but, i havent heard of too many sucsess stories for terroist in the usa, well besides the political mess

i feel its safer, not much but, i havent heard of too many sucsess stories for terroist in the usa, well besides the political mess

from President Bush's own Head of CIA, Feb. 2005:

Iraq War Helps Recruit Terrorists, Hill Told

Washington Post Staff Wr
Thursday, February 17, 2005; Page A01

The insurgency in Iraq continues to baffle the U.S. military and intelligence communities, and the U.S. occupation has become a potent recruiting tool for al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, top U.S. national security officials told Congress yesterday....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28876-2005Feb16.html

from President Bush's own Head of CIA, Feb. 2005:

Iraq War Helps Recruit Terrorists, Hill Told

Washington Post Staff Wr
Thursday, February 17, 2005; Page A01

The insurgency in Iraq continues to baffle the U.S. military and intelligence communities, and the U.S. occupation has become a potent recruiting tool for al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, top U.S. national security officials told Congress yesterday....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28876-2005Feb16.html
The only really baffling thing is how so many smart people -- and some of them are quite smart indeed -- could be baffled by something so obvious. There's an old saying about missing the forest for the trees that seems particularly apt.

As it turns out....
with 40 arrested in Italy
5 or more in the US
and 20+ in the UK....

I'd venture to say we are safer....

As it turns out....
5 or more in the US
and 20+ in the UK....

How do you figure that? If these are bona fidi terrorist threats then it seems like the number of threats is increasing.

The security services have to be lucky every single time. The terrorists have to be lucky once...

As it turns out....
5 or more in the US
and 20+ in the UK....

How do you figure that? If these are bona fidi terrorist threats then it seems like the number of threats is increasing.

The security services have to be lucky every single time. The terrorists have to be lucky once...

we are safer, simply because a majority of americans are now aware of what some people are capable of, like 9-11, people didnt get the picture in 93' ... but after 9-11, its on alot more peoples mind. i belive that alone make this country safer than it was pre 9-11

"It's no disgrace not to be able to run a country nowadays, but it is a disgrace to keep on trying when you know you can't."

Will Rogers

we are safer, simply because a majority of americans are now aware of what some people are capable of, like 9-11, people didnt get the picture in 93' ... but after 9-11, its on alot more peoples mind. i belive that alone make this country safer than it was pre 9-11
That would have been true no matter what the administration's response. The relevant question here is whether the current administration's policies have made us any safer.

Back