IS the USA ready for a white christian President?

I don't necessarily care what religion my President is, so long as he respects the Constitution and our founding Judeo-Christian principles.

Kinda mutually exclusive there in some areas.
Jefferson would disagree . . . so long as you're not talking about those Judeo-Christian principles having to do with subservience to God, praying for miracles or standing around expecting to be Raptured to a Better Place someday.

What you aluded to is what I mean Ornot. Laws and such forcing people into a religion or religious actions they do not agree with.
What religion was Jefferson ? Deist ? I am not sure.

What you aluded to is what I mean Ornot. Laws and such forcing people into a religion or religious actions they do not agree with.
He declined to state: he believed that matters of religion should be private. So no one really knows.

I learned in high school that he was a Deist, but that may not be accurate. Late in life he hung out with a bunch of Unitarians a lot and expressed a lot of admiration for the Unitarian Church.

Social society rights would be more accurate I think.
I remember going thru this natural rights argument a while back and I wound up convinced that there are no natural rights. Only rights our society grants us.

Social society rights would be more accurate I think.
I remember going thru this natural rights argument a while back and I wound up convinced that there are no natural rights. Only rights our society grants us.
Yeah, I think we've probably flogged that dead horse enough. I was just tweaking Damo's chain a little bit.

Yes I have to yank his chain a bit from time to time about the "liberal" media as well. but he is ok, we agree more than disagree.

Jefferson was a member of the Church of England. This is no mystery.

I don't necessarily care what religion my President is, so long as he respects the Constitution and our founding Judeo-Christian principles.

Ahahahaha, if you were one of my kids I would call you smart-ass...

Uhm, no: he wasn't. Not by choice, anyway. :rolleyes:
He grew up in that church. Later joined another, but wanted to be Unitarian. He said he would have been Unitarian, but there were no Unitarian churches in Virginia.

He even believed that all of the US would one day be Unitarian.

When he wrote his own version of the New Testament he took out mention of Christ's Divinity...

He proclaimed himself a Deist.

He had many, many differing views. He also claimed himself a sect of one. Dude was not a member of the Anglican church as an adult.

He grew up in that church. Later joined another, but wanted to be Unitarian. He said he would have been Unitarian, but there were no Unitarian churches in Virginia.

He even believed that all of the US would one day be Unitarian.

When he wrote his own version of the New Testament he took out mention of Christ's Divinity...

He proclaimed himself a Deist.

He had many, many differing views. He also claimed himself a sect of one. Dude was not a member of the Anglican church as an adult.
Exactly so. He was never a practicing member of the Church of England as an adult.

He also said, repeatedly, that he believed religious belief ought to be a private matter. When asked, he adamantly refused to describe his own beliefs or even say to what church he belonged. Most of what we know comes from his Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth -- which, I believe, was not commercially published until after his death -- and from private correspondence with other prominent figures of the day. We know it historically but it was not public knowledge during his life.

Back