It's Possible

Top - Do you doubt that if we take the do nothing approach we will for sure go into a recession? And what happens in a recession? who suffers?

Answer = mainstreet. One way or the other mainstreet is fucked here. so is it worth the 700B to attack the one area thats causing this in an attempt to stop us from losing jobs, homes, savings, 8T in market cap over ther next 2 years?

This is the fundamental question. How much should the government interfere.

I don't want to be insensative to your personal losses but isn't that what is SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN in an economy? Times of up and times of down (not to put to fine a point on it). As they say in the Lion King "it's the circle of life".

...that the DOW could open down today.

Talks Implode During Day of Chaos; Fate of Bailout Plan Remains Unresolved

WASHINGTON — The day began with an agreement that Washington hoped would end the financial crisis that has gripped the nation. It dissolved into a verbal brawl in the Cabinet Room of the White House, urgent warnings from the president and pleas from a Treasury secretary who knelt before the House speaker and appealed for her support.

“If money isn’t loosened up, this sucker could go down,” President Bush declared Thursday as he watched the $700 billion bailout package fall apart before his eyes, according to one person in the room.

Government Seizes WaMu

Washington Mutual, the giant lender that came to symbolize the excesses of the mortgage boom, was seized by federal regulators on Thursday night, in what is by far the largest bank failure in American history.

www.nytimes.com

This is how fascism starts.

Top - Do you doubt that if we take the do nothing approach we will for sure go into a recession? And what happens in a recession? who suffers?

Answer = mainstreet. One way or the other mainstreet is fucked here. so is it worth the 700B to attack the one area thats causing this in an attempt to stop us from losing jobs, homes, savings, 8T in market cap over ther next 2 years?

This is the fundamental question. How much should the government interfere.

Chap here is the problem that I have - no one knows this is going to work. It might postpone the inevitable for a couple of months and then we could have a worse crash, from what i have read this is a real possibility. I'm not against action, but I am against desperate action, unthinking action. Let's give them whatever, 50 billion, and then let's sit down and actually study the issue. Let's bring in Warren Buffet. Let's bring in some new minds, please bring in some new minds.

Chap here is the problem that I have - no one knows this is going to work. It might postpone the inevitable for a couple of months and then we could have a worse crash, from what i have read this is a real possibility. I'm not against action, but I am against desperate action, unthinking action. Let's give them whatever, 50 billion, and then let's sit down and actually study the issue. Let's bring in Warren Buffet. Let's bring in some new minds, please bring in some new minds.

Just keep in mind 700B is not a 100% cost. govt could have potential to make all that money back or at a minimum some of it.

700B is a drop in bucket compared to loses during a recession that has makings about 2x worse then last one.

I dont know what the right answer is, to do nothing or to do something. But I do know that a recession will be painful for all.

Perhaps bringing in minds at all?

This mess has got to be repaired, the question is how. I think leaving it the hands of politicians is a mistake. Their focus is on looking good and reelection. Find people who know what they are doing in the financial mnarkets.

Warren Buffet sounds like a good option to me.

From what I understand, Buffett endorsed the bailout. Also, if anyone on Capitol Hill is to be believed - it isn't just politicians working on this thing. They have economists & others outside of politics involved.

Just for giggles let's check this out every so often today:

b

Since the bailout deal has been scuttled by the House Republicans (and John McCain) the market will likely tank today. Bigtime.

The over-under on the DJI is -400 points. I'm taking the over (i.e., it will be down more that 400 points at the close of business). Anyone else?

Recessions happen, I don't quit working cause my 401K balance gets over inflated and I don't increase my spending either.
Trying to hard too hard to delay the obvious will create worse problems.
Even the GED'rs here have been saying too much credit, too much borrowing DANGER WILL ROGERS. LOL
The answer in not MORE CREDIT
Take your lumps like a man, elect Obama and you'll see how good our economy does under a freedom (personal freedoms included) loving Democratic admin.

I don't care if it's down 800pts it not a reason to rob my grandkids.
Let these tools go broke, not the bus driver and his kids.

b

Since the bailout deal has been scuttled by the House Republicans (and John McCain) the market will likely tank today. Bigtime.

The over-under on the DJI is -400 points. I'm taking the over (i.e., it will be down more that 400 points at the close of business). Anyone else?

Fuck me, I don't know crap about the stock market. I've never had the slightest interest in following it, or gaining expertise in it. Wall street and stocks bore the crap out of me.

The only think I'm pretty good at, is smelling a rat. I think McBush is playing politics with the nation's economy. Who could have predicted that? They played politics with war.

Dude, Bush isn't that smart.
He's trying to act compasionate and blindly taking swings at the party pinatta

I don't care if it's down 800pts it not a reason to rob my grandkids.
Let these tools go broke, not the bus driver and his kids.

You can't be serious. You're supposed to be the Wall Street guy!

Wall Street is Main Street. The way some people are talking on here, it's like Wall Street is some golden throne high above the people, completely separate. Everything in this economy is interconnected. If Wall Street tanks, companies lose money, people get laid off, they stop spending money, and every industry you can think of suffers.

You really don't know s**t, tops. You talk a big game, but whenever you say something like the above, you sound like you're in elementary school. I remember you telling me that housing didn't really affect other areas of the economy.

b

I think they're going to cut a deal today, so I would take under.

You can't be serious. You're supposed to be the Wall Street guy!

Wall Street is Main Street. The way some people are talking on here, it's like Wall Street is some golden throne high above the people, completely separate. Everything in this economy is interconnected. If Wall Street tanks, companies lose money, people get laid off, they stop spending money, and every industry you can think of suffers.

You really don't know s**t, tops. You talk a big game, but whenever you say something like the above, you sound like you're in elementary school. I remember you telling me that housing didn't really affect other areas of the economy.

housing had NOTHIN too due wit the curent problum.

:rolleyes:

I think they're going to cut a deal today, so I would take under.

I think it will be tomorrow.... or at the earliest after market close today. If I were them, I would want to disclose the full details while the market was closed. That way people have a chance to digest the nuts and bolts, which could help prevent any knee jerk reactions.

I had a theory on way home from work last night.

McCain was grandstanding saying hes going to dump out of the debate on Friday to go back to congress. (this is because the debate would almost surly turn to economy over security)
Yesterday morning they had the nuts and bolts deal in place before mccain even got there. Instead of going to his senate seat he made a b-line to the house and came out all smiling with a block on the deal... thinking today or Monday they pass one and he comes out looking like the guy who got it done.

Back