Jobless claims post sharp decline

Socrtease

Verified User
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080508/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/economy

WASHINGTON - The number of newly laid off workers seeking unemployment benefits dropped much more than expected last week.

The Labor Department reported Thursday that applications for unemployment benefits fell to 365,000, a decline of 18,000 from the previous week. Economists had been looking for a much smaller decrease of around 5,000.

Weekly jobless claims have been exceptionally volatile in recent weeks because of strike-related layoffs in the auto industry and an unusually early Easter, which has played havoc with the government's seasonal adjustment measurements.

Many economists believe that a prolonged housing slump and severe credit crisis have pushed the economy into a recession. For that reason, they believe job layoffs will rise in coming months as the unemployment rate climbs higher.

Ian Shepherdson, chief U.S. economist for High Frequency Economics, said that even with the improvement this week, claims are now at a level equal to where they were at the start of the last recession in March 2001. He predicted that layoffs would increase further in coming months.

However, many economists believe that job losses will be less severe than in previous recessions because they are expecting this downturn to be relatively mild and brief. The Bush administration is counting on 130 million economic stimulus payments to boost consumer spending and trigger a rebound in growth starting this summer.

The Labor Department reported last week that employers cut jobs for a fourth straight month, often a sign of a recession, but the job loss of 20,000 was much smaller than had been expected and was well below the 81,000 jobs lost in March.

In other economic news, consumers gave retailers some relief in April after a long stretch of dismal sales. Early reports from the nation's big chain stores showed customers bought the basics at discounters and wholesale clubs, putting Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Costco Wholesale Corp. among the top performers last month.

Analysts predicted that the flood of rebate checks will boost sales in coming months, helping to offset soaring gasoline prices and falling home values.

The report on jobless claims showed that the total number of laid off workers receiving benefits dipped slightly to 3.02 million for the week ending April 26 but remained above the 3 million-mark for the second straight week.

For the week ending April 26, 32 states and territories had a drop in initial claims while 21 had increases.

The biggest increase was in Massachusetts, a rise of 5,591 that was attributed to higher layoffs in transportation, services and public administration.

Other states with big increases were New York, up 4,648; Kentucky, up 3,776, and New Jersey, up 3,521.

The state with the biggest decline was Texas, where jobless claims fell by 3,373, reflecting fewer layoffs in trade, service and manufacturing industries. Other states with large declines were Rhode Island, down 1,835; California, down 1,689, and Pennsylvania, down 1,597.

all indications are the markets turning a corner. still some pain left to be had for the dumb mortgage crisis victims.. but for everyone else looking good.

all indications are the markets turning a corner. still some pain left to be had for the dumb mortgage crisis victims.. but for everyone else looking good.

Agreed. The dollar and the equity markets (with the exception of financials) are showing signs of strengthening.

usged SUFFERS from Jethro syndrome = no education

The market averages 10% yr in and yr out retard.

somehow I knew this thread might start some 'discussions' about the state of the economy. Jobless claims were 3 times lower than expected and the amount of lost jobs was 4x lower than in March. So maybe the hit won't be as bad as people expect, and as much as I hate to think it is true, dems hope for. It seems that every time jobs are lost dems can't wait to crow about how the economy is going to shit under the republicans. Lost jobs are NEVER a good thing.

somehow I knew this thread might start some 'discussions' about the state of the economy. Jobless claims were 3 times lower than expected and the amount of lost jobs was 4x lower than in March. So maybe the hit won't be as bad as people expect, and as much as I hate to think it is true, dems hope for. It seems that every time jobs are lost dems can't wait to crow about how the economy is going to shit under the republicans. Lost jobs are NEVER a good thing.

Very true. They (job losses) are not a good thing.

As for the economy. I don't think it will be as bad as most seem to believe now. Just as it wasn't as rosy as some (toppy) seemed to think back in November.

We went through two minimal growth quarters, yet the equity market shrugged off the negative news of late and we have seen the Dow, Wilshire, and S&P all break to positive bullish trends.

We will continue to see foreclosures and the media will continue to hype them, but they have already been fairly priced into the equity markets.

Commercial real estate seems to also be trending bullish. Residential still has pockets in the country that are going to suck for a while.

they are anti business yet pro good economy????
weak convictions, weak knowledge base!!!

Toppy I was out trolling for boyfriends last night, and I caught the interest of one at McNulty's pub, so i remembered what you told me, and I asked him "so, how do you feel about the economy?" And I nodded and said," mm hmm, mm hmm, very interesting" as he spoke, and then when he finished I laid "i have found that the smart people buy low and sell hi" on him, and boy you should have seen his face. I hope he didn't end up getting the feeling I'm too smart for him. He said he'd call. I'll let you know!

superbrokebackfreak, I guess I need to fess up to still today a feeling of too much optimism in our economy. Like today ENER (which I own and have been touting for a couple years was up 40%) or Chevron, or Rig.
It's still easy to make money.

2/3 of our economy is what consumers spend, If they spend more on energy they spend less on everything else.

Pretty simple really.

Umm I think you meant oil at $120/bbl. If that is the case we also buy less per capita than we did at $75 or so. gas demand has dropped and the pop has risen lately.

superbrokebackfreak, I guess I need to fess up to still today a feeling of too much optimism in our economy. Like today ENER (which I own and have been touting for a couple years was up 40%) or Chevron, or Rig.
It's still easy to make money.

yay!!! i didnt even look at that one

2/3 of our economy is what consumers spend, If they spend more on energy they spend less on everything else.

Pretty simple really.

Say you have $100 and spend $20 on energy. Well say then you have $130 and spend $30 on energy. That person has increased energy costs but still has more to spend on everything else. That is pretty simple.

Back