Juries should be informed of mandatory minimums

w

i too oppose the death penalty, not because it is immoral but because it is too merciful - life in prison is much worse - also kick the sobs out when they are no longer able to commit whatever crime they committed

and just because they may have been wrongfully convicted

:P

Oh well, my pussy emotional plea having been rejected, I now move back to subject. Jury nullifications is every bit as valid as nullification by judges, just a little bit more populist.

Well, actually, now that I think about it, it would be nice to have one elitist check on the laws, the judges, and a populist one, the juries.

Last edited:
hi di

your grumpy bastard would describe me too, however, i choose dq because i tilt at windmills - it always scares me a little when anyone agrees with me

while some prefer justice, justice needs to be tinged with mercy

Welcome to the Company of Grumpy Bastards DQ - our numbers are increasing :clink:

I ain't never seen a windmill I didn't want to go over and give a damn good roundhouse kick to - but not now, I'd end up in a neck brace.

I too worry about folks agreeing with me. I know I know stuff-all, I hate to think others are as ignorant as me. Makes me wonder who's left to run the show.

:P

Oh well, my pussy emotional plea having been rejected, I now move back to subject. Jury nullifications is every bit as valid as nullification by judges, just a little bit more populist.

Well, actually, now that I think about it, it would be nice to have one elitist check on the laws, the judges, and a populist one, the juries.

Have you seen how they do it in France? Justice I mean.

Wow Watermark!

I really learned a great deal on this thread regarding Jury nullification and also, I might say that you never cease to amaze me with...how outside of the box you think, and how deeply you think inside of the box too. Your parents should be very proud of you, even if they may not tell ya such enough!

The reasonings behind Jury Nullification make sense to me....We are the Sovereign ones, not our government...WE rule and have Sovereignty OVER them...and ALWAYS should have it over THEM.

It bothers me that Juries are not told that Jury nullification is an option as Socrtease mentioned...why is that...? That alone is an injustice to the person being charged and puts MORE power in to the hands of our Justice system than they were meant to have, imho.

I can understand the concern of rampant jury nullification, but I have more faith in our Justice system and in our fellow citizens to not over abuse jury nullification and use it ONLY WHEN they all determine that the case was unfair or the sentence did not meet the circumstances of the crime...so yes, the jury SHOULD be told what the minimum sentence would be.... ONLY THEY would have all the facts before them, so they are the perfect people to see if our government is overreaching with their punishment put upon the acused for the specific crime.

And your point on how they pick juries for murder trials and exclude all of the people that object to the death sentence from capital punishment trials is absolutely profound...my heart sank, while the lightbulb and bells went off at the same time....DING DING DING....this is WRONG, wrong and wrong....

Those against and for the punishment for a crime SHOULD BE serving on every jury...NOT ONLY those that believe in killing the person if they are guilty.

I can't BELIEVE that a Lawyer on the "against the death penalty side" hasn't taken this firm stance and argument all the way to the SC?

Anyway, good to see ya Watermark... When you become president 25 years from now, please remember that I was one of your silly fans from wayyyyy back when...:D

NOT that I don't think you are off the wall....hahahaha! cuz you are....lol... but I enjoy watching the progression of you thinking out loud...even if I don't agree with you on all of it...

Care

Last edited:
Hey care stick arround we miss you

Oh my gosh Desh....

I just decided to chalk up the money and got Verizon Wireless Broadband, Nation wide for my laptop...it also just became available for my region...no cable broadband or Dsl broadband yet...

But anyway...........I AM IN HEAVEN!

I forgot how easy it is to search more than one site at a time when you are on Broadband!!!!

I definately plan on spending more time here now that I am not crawling with my old dial up connection!

care

HOLY SHIT

Desh, I just read your quote....

You were permantly banned? Had nooooo idea that happened.....this is what I get when also working on my taxes :eek: and not keeping up with every thread I guess?

pm me on what happened, pretty PLEASE!

lol

care

Care, the link I gave (http://www.tomasdaly.com/Jury.htm) claims that they first started dismissing jurors that were "prejudiced against the state" when attempting to prosecute those found in violation of the Fugitive Slave Law. In 1895 the Supremes, under pressure from large corporations, ruled that judges no longer had to inform juries of their right to nullification. The corps were losing cases when trying to convict labor organizers.

The reason jury nullification was removed had little to do with race in the south. It was because jurors were nullifying unjust state laws.

Care, the link I gave (http://www.tomasdaly.com/Jury.htm) claims that they first started dismissing jurors that were "prejudiced against the state" when attempting to prosecute those found in violation of the Fugitive Slave Law. In 1895 the Supremes, under pressure from large corporations, ruled that judges no longer had to inform juries of their right to nullification. The corps were losing cases when trying to convict labor organizers.

The reason jury nullification was removed had little to do with race in the south. It was because jurors were nullifying unjust state laws.
More the reason to reinstate it imo.... Who gets to judge the justice's decisions in our system...?

care

I thought libertarians were pro big business? I would nullify any law that tried to criminalize labor organization. It has nothing to do with anti business, though.
It's simply pro individual rights.

Ohh silly me to forget about the individual rights of corporations, but few of the responsibilities of an individual.

I have yet to see a corporation go to jail for a crime.

They do have the option to nullify it, by finding a verdict of not guilty.

http://fija.org/
They don't have the option to nullify it or to find the defendent not guilty for the reason that their government is too harsh with the punishment if they are not told what the minimum punishment is....

A nullification does not find the defendent not guilty does it? A nullification means that something is UNJUST...a statement of such, a rebellion against the system.

Care

I would have liked to have seen a nullification by the jury of the Alabama governor unjustly put in jail....

Oh my gosh Desh....

I just decided to chalk up the money and got Verizon Wireless Broadband, Nation wide for my laptop...it also just became available for my region...no cable broadband or Dsl broadband yet...

But anyway...........I AM IN HEAVEN!

I forgot how easy it is to search more than one site at a time when you are on Broadband!!!!

I definately plan on spending more time here now that I am not crawling with my old dial up connection!

care

Yay, great to see you back; we've missed you! :)

Ohh silly me to forget about the individual rights of corporations, but few of the responsibilities of an individual.

I have yet to see a corporation go to jail for a crime.

A corporation cannot commit a crime, only the people in it can. A corporation is just a shell that is useful for legal purposes.

Back